Only One - Kanye West (feat. Paul McCartney) Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Definitely.

Seeing as McCartney basically gifted a long lost prime melody, plus is singing lead vocals on a whole verse in a style in which, at age 72, we have never heard him sing before, I'm very certain of that.

And that turns out to be correct, it's "All Day feat. Theophilus London, Allan Kingdom & Paul McCartney": https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/all-day-feat.-theophilus-london/id972815455

2. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Thanks. The only good part in that song is 4:17 and on, go Paul!

3. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Brilliant! The repurposing of McCartney's melody, his auto-tune coda. Paul's definitely got his hands in this way more than the haters and trolls would like to admit.

4. FrixFrixFrix

But Paul's involvement begins at 0:01. Refer to @mindgames's post #294.

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ok -this was brilliant-I like the whole thing a lot. And Pauls involvnent here is huge-the melody,acoustic strumming and whistling and singing. Guess this was a great way for this brilliamt melody to find a new home.
    Great imo

6. paulmccartneyistheman

Sure! I love the re-purposing of Paul's melody, but I HATE hearing the n-word over and over again.

If most of Kanye's album is Paul McCartney melodies, bring it on! Even though I loved Only One and FourFiveSeconds, I really want to hear Paul sing more lead. If songs are Paul's melodies without his vocals or some impressive guitar, I'll be really proud, but this isn't my genre at the end of the day.

heatherly and supermd like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

CDC and Bemagnus like this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that Paul's vocals sound very natural on the song, and they prove that he could quite easily sing the lead vocals on some of these songs without it sounding unnatural or odd.

I hope that he sings more on some of the other songs.

10. CDC

CDC Forum Resident

11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Who would have thought that a Ram outtake would eventually be recycled as a Kanye West 'banger', as his fans are calling All Day.

It doesn't seem real.

heatherly likes this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Am I the only one struggling to hear "When the Wind is Blowing" in this song (outside of Paul's whistling)? Is the melody supposed to be going on through all of Kanye's n****-ridden lyrics?

heatherly and Frank like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

But real it is- to the horror of some and amusement of others- including me.
    :)

heatherly and mindgames like this.
  14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Listens to this track a couple of time and must say I like it-from beginning to end. This is not exactley the granny-music or Engelbert Humperdinck stuff Lennon accused Paul of. Great stuff if one can enjoy hip-hop . If not- well there is plenty of other music to enjoy.

heatherly and seaisletim like this.
  15. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

When the Wind is Blowing has long been one of my favourite melodies. I'm glad to finally see it see the light of day but I'd never imagined it would be in quite such a fashion. Not a bad track.

16. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

That's so funny.. Could it be that Macca is working with Kanye to prove, once and for all, that John Lennon was wrong about him and his granny music!?

17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Don t think so. I think Paul works with Kanye because he likes it and he likes Kanye and he likes challenges. So far I think that Pauls work with Kanye has been interesting. But on the other hand I belong to the members here who actually find Kanye West an outstanding artist.

18. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Lighten up, it was a joke. I do think Lennon's comment did sting, perhaps playing a part in McCartney's willingness to take chances in his post-Beatles career. That's my diagnosis anyway

You're not alone in thinking Kanye West is an outstanding artist, that much should be evident

19. FrixFrixFrix

Censored version of All Day for those offended by the real version HERE.

Also, a funny list of credit explanations HERE.

20. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Forum Resident

Well i've listened to this song twice and will probably never listen to it again, not my cup of tea. Largely why I dislike Hip-hop. Devoid of melody - except for the very late portion with McCartney. Lyrics that will be offensive to some.

Sort of a waste of McCartney's melodic talents. Pretty disappointing.
    Wouldn't shock me to see this go to #1 on the Hip=Hop charts, but i'd be surpised if it made it to Top 20 maybe even Top 40 on the Hot 100.

Of the 3 collabs so far this is how I view them.
    Only One - solid melody that is hidden to some extent under horrendously overwrote auto tune and some underproduction
    FourFiveSeconds - very strong pop song. By far the best of the 3 - not a surprise it is a worldwide Top 5 and one of Kanye's top biggest hits ever on the Hot 100.
    All Day - piece of crap hip-hop with little redeeming value.

Frank likes this.
  21. FrixFrixFrix

Currently #1 on iTunes. Have a feeling your chart prediction skills may be a little rusty...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Bemagnus likes this.
  22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

A good idea, as I'm a fan of compiling duplicate/redundant threads. HOWEVER, the OP in that thread stated it was an "appreciation" thread and - while it's certainly his right to request that, since there's plenty of Kanye-bashing here - that would certainly limit those who might want to blast a particular song (which others should have the right to do, if they can do it without being overly insulting). Know what I mean?

theMess likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. You'll go far with a username like that here!:)

24. paulmccartneyistheman

Thanks! I've been watching y'all talk on these forums for years, so it was time I joined in :D

25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Plenty of Beatles/Paul/Wings threads for you to contribute to here. It'll keep you busy for years!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.