Open your windows and I'll walk through your doors. Jethro Tull - WarChild Remixed 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Aug 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Is anyone aware of the full track listing of the complete 1975 BBC Radio 3 broadcast of ‘Sounds On Sunday’ from Monte Carlo?

2. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

"Minstrel in the Gallery / Requiem / Aqualung / Cold Wind to Valhalla"

"Grace", included in the 20th Anniversary Boxset, was not part of the original broadcast.

ParloFax likes this.
  3. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I reckon Too old to RnR could have a few bonus tracks. It was a soundtrack like warchild so the band may have done 2 albums worth of studio tracks. 1 lot for the soundtrack and 1 lot of normal tull tracks. There may be studio versions of beethovens 9th and guitar/drum jam

ParloFax likes this.
  4. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

How do you know that? Why would a site that resides in the UK (which has PAL as a DVD format), have only an NTSC version available?

5. Daniel Falaschi

I can be wrong of course, but all of the CD+DVD sets that I have bought recently from any band are region free and NTSC. Only-DVD sets may vary the region and tv format.

jsayers likes this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Most people in Europe can play PAL and NTSC.
    Most people in America can only play NTSC.
    Most audio DVDs I have bought are NTSC region free.
    All Jethro Tull CD+DVD have been NTSC region free.

7. Daniel Falaschi

You are right! The acoustic intro section with the strings is gorgeous and Martin´s solo is the best I´ve heard...

8. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

Nope.

DCC's 'Lung and MFSL's TAAB and APP are still the definitive stereo versions, so they are in no way redundant (and this is coming from someone who didn't pay collectors' prices for them and also owns the 4oth anniversary editions).

jsayers likes this.
  9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The price on Amazon UK shot back up to 22.99 pounds. Glad I got my preorder in.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Agreed for the MFSL, they are the best sounding "non-flat" original stereo mixes...

jsayers and ribors like this.
  11. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

Looking forward to what promises to be yet another Tull revelation for me, as I've never heard this album before (came to JT via the Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses era). Virgin ears served me well with Benefit and A Passion Play, and I expect no less here as well. These are coming at an amazing pace, one which I wish could be replicated with the back-catalogues of other classic artists.

DonnyMe likes this.
  12. Daniel Falaschi

As much as I celebrate 200% these new editions, it would e cool if they included some work in progress material, as they did with Aqualung. Can you imagine early takes of Living in the past, or early arrangements of Thick as a Brick?

Carserguev likes this.
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They do not always exist anymore.

14. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

Hmmm....not for me. Direct Demux option in DVD Audio Extractor . That leaves me with 24/96 .dts files

Then (purely in order to tag the files) I use Audiomuxer to convert .dts to SPDIF wav (e.g. 'dts.wav' -- this does NOT decode the files, it merely puts them in a .wav container ). An AVR or player equipped for DTS 24/96 can decode .dts or .dts.wav files correctly. The only reason I go to dts.wav (instead of just .dts) is to tag them , which requires a last step of converting to FLAC (which mere puts a flac wrapper around the data). Then play the .flac files with foobar2k (my AVR does not decode FLAC).

If you rip directly to .wav (i.e. decode and save to .wav ) you will need a plugin that reads the extended data. Otherwise only the 'core' DTS is ripped.

15. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

The flat transfer of APP on the boxed set is my go-to 2.o version now. It sounds excellent. This doesn't mean the MFSL is bad, just (not very) different (and it is indexed, which is nice) .

16. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

There is no direct demux option. Do you mean open single AOB/ VOB file or demuxed audio file?

17. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

Daniel Falaschi and ParloFax like this.
  18. tootull likes this.
  19. Daniel Falaschi

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I hope that I get a chance to listen to this with my cuz Mike Licari.

21. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

Well, having just listened to the War Child II stream I can see why this version didn't make the original cut; to my tastes it's slow, ponderous and dull compared to the one on the original album. As I've preordered this set, I hope there are some gems among the extra material included, but IMO this aint one of them.

22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Love it. Warchild 1 and 2 sound great

tootull likes this.
  23. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

In DVD Audio Extractor? Um, yes there is, since 2003

It's the last option on the output option pulldown menu.

24. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

Um nah there is not.

25. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Another preview track from the soon to be released War Child set:

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-11-14/jethro-tull-stream-the-orchestral-warchild-theme

EXCLUSIVE: Listen to another track from 40th anniversary War Child package

Jethro Tull have streamed another track from the upcoming limited-edition 40th anniversary edition of their classic 1974 album War Child.

The song The Orchestral WarChild Theme can now be heard ahead of the three-disc package's official release on November 24. Previously unreleased track War Child II was made available to stream earlier this month.

The set includes a new mix by Steven Wilson plus music and a script synopsis from the abandoned film which was intended to accompany the original release. The movie, set to star Leonard Rossiter, was shelved after the band failed to secure funding.

tootull and Daniel Falaschi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.