Opinions of the 6922/6dj8/7308 family of tubes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dean De Furia, Dec 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone have any opinions of this family of tubes? New vs NOS, Types of sound, microphinics, etc. Thanks!

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

NOS daddio! Be careful, as this family is chock-a-block full of Russian tubes relabeled as the real thang. I use NOS Amperex 7308's - they have date codes etched on them with the proper Philips type coding (paid around $100 for a set of 4). Verrrrrrrrry long life, and they helped smoooooth out my cd playback via my Musical Fidelity X-10 buffer stage. Gotta warn you, our pal Steve isn't a fan of this particular tube family - he's a 12AX7 ala Telefunken kinda guy!

3. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Reason? The preamp I may be getting is 6922 based, and I know some don't like that tube.

Anyway, I have some all Holland Bugle Boys, and Orange Globes for my EMP headphone amp.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've found MOST tubes in the 6DJ8 family too thin and bright for my needs.

There is one tube in the family that I like, it's the Amperex gold pin version, made in the good old USA. Smooth and creamy sounding. For the most part though, I avoid gear that uses this tube...

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Ha! That's the kind I have - yesssssssssssssssss!!!

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Legit 7308's all have gold pins, gotta be extra careful when shopping for them; lotta crap relabeled stuff out there...

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Sheesh, now I'm quoting myself - whadda egomaniac! Good night...

8. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I presume the gold pin version is also the E88CC. I had Phillips SQ versions in an Audio Research SP10 preamp I once had. Sounded good. That structure does tend to be microphonic however. The cheap and nasty Russian versions were less micrphonic but didn't sound as good on headphones (for anyone blaming this on feedback)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.