Opinions on Agatha Christie's Poirot

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Django, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django

Django Forum Resident Thread Starter

With David Suchet

I've only recently started watching it. Suchet is perfect and they are very well made. I would prefer the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series myself but I think I'll keep recording Poirot and work my way through them. It's an atmosphere thing for me.

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

No-brainer, very well-acted, interesting and enjoyable.

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I think I've seen every one. Classic. Like Django said, Suchet is perfect in the role.

4. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I concur.

jerol

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My mum loves the series, at least the vast majority of it. She did not like any of the last episodes because Poirot's character was transformed into an unpleasant, humorless and charmless wreck. They should have called it quits sooner rather than attempting another comeback.

6. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I used to enjoy watching the earlier episodes on PBS in the early 90s; where he lives in the elegant glass building and works with two staff.

7. Django

Poirot is basically an emperor penguin with a moustache

8. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have all the DVD's. I am into murder mysteries and recently have also gotten into Midsomer Murders. These English dramas are so well acted and really put US tv to shame.

Adam9 likes this.
  9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Suchet is the definitive Poirot and fits the image of Poirot from the books much better than Ustinov.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  10. Django

MM is really good, but the episodes are a bit too long.

11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

great show !!!

12. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

To say nothing of Finney.

13. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

Very much enjoy the David Suchet versions. Love the jokes about his character's nationality. Just like Brett makes Sherlock, Suchet makes Poirot.

14. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

My wife and I started going through it an episode a night on Netflix about a month ago. We both love it! It's hard to believe now that I never had any interest in it for the last 20 years!

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Are any of these Poirot/Sherlock Holmes on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

16. Tobylab

Tobylab Active Member

I enjoy this series very much. David Suchet is excellent as Poirot. I am not a fan of Agatha Christie or the books per se, it was Suchet and the original ensemble cast and production that got me hooked. I think the series can be divided in 2 parts; seasons 1 through 8, 1989-2001 with the supporting cast of Hugh Fraser, Philip Jackson and Pauline Moran. These episodes were lighter and at times had elements of self deprecating humor. The acting was excellent and fun to watch. Season 9 in 2003 started a change in the feel of the series that continued through the final season 13 in 2013. It was solo Poirot. He was on his own and seemed darker and less humorous. I always wondered if they wanted to give him a more world weary and cynical personality? A few times throughout the years there were references about Poirot "going through life alone", never marrying, etc... Maybe they wanted to show him in his later years with possible regrets? Or maybe I'm overthinking it. At any rate, it is a great show and you cant go wrong with a Poirot or two on a quiet night.

17. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I think all the Poirot are on Netflix, the vast majority anyway.

18. Weird that this cropped up now. I started watching them last week on Netflix. First 11 seasons are on there. In high school my best friend and I went on an Agatha Christie tear and bought and read them all in the space of about a year and a half. So far I'm very impressed. The feel of these episodes is just perfect.

19. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I was addicted to the Agatha Christie books when I was 12-13 years old, and I thought David Suchet looked, sounded and acted right when they came out many years later.

I am a big fan of many BBC detective series (especially Prime Suspect and the new Sherlock), but I find Midsomer Murders virtually unwatchable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.