Opinions on COWBOY JUNKIES OPEN

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keep amonte, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keep amonte

keep amonte New Member Thread Starter

I am interested in obtaining Open. Can anyone compare SACD to redbook. I have searched and seen some positive comments on this SACD. I have heard the redbook and am looking for quite an improvement in clarity and separation.

2. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I had the cd then I got the sacd and gave the cd to a friend. Never bothered to do a compare! Just too lazy sorry. But the sacd sounds great to me. I just found this on the junkies forum:

http://www.cowboyjunkies.com/

quote:

posted 08-31-2002 09:47 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My copy of "Open" in SACD came in this afternoons mail.
    Definitely worth the $20 I paid, plus having bought it on CD to begin with. More dimensional and compliant sounding. Better depth and tone. Pete's more recessed in the mix, and Al's bass lines are more focused, tight, and visceral. Margo's voice is slightly richer, and hers and Karen's show more seperation during harmonies. I suspect the Rounder folks may be responsible for this one getting to SACD, so I send out my thanks for that.

endquote

3. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Coincidence

I am at work reading this thread and Michael Timmins' mother-in-law just
    came in.
    Weird...

Good Weekend All,
    Norm

4. keep amonte

keep amonte New Member Thread Starter

jKer,
    Thanks for that info. I have ordered Open and AK New Favorite direct from rounder(long story) and hope to have them next week.

5. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

As has been previous stated all the Allison Krause SACD sound good, some more then others, and of the course the musical content speaks for itself. As for the CJ album, on my own system the sacd layer definitely has more of everything over the cd layer. You must of course realize this is not an album that sounds anything like the trinity sessions or other live album' from them. The feedback from the electric guitars sounds very very nice. Sense its available I would definitely say its worth the upgrade from the normal cd version only. Your mileage may differ of course....

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

200 Miles is very good on CD also, don't you think. Blue Moon is superb.

7. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Absolutely, great album that should be in all Junkies collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.