Opinions on Sony V-FET technology

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

My friend just bought a Sony V-FET amp and swears up and down it's incredible sounding. Apparently it was a technology that didn't last but sounded very good. Does anyone have an experience or opinions of V-FET technology? Is my friend smoking the audiophile crack pipe?

2. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

I had one just like this back in the mid 70s. It was around that time I started to realize different components sound much different than others despite the rated specifications, which could be quite close in each unit.

I had borrowed a friend's AR integrated amplifier to use until I got a new amp of some sort for myself. I bought a mid-level Pioneer solid-state amp, but was disappointed that no matter how I adjusted the tone controls on it, it just didn't sound as good as the AR amp I had just borrowed. So I went back to the dealer and described my disappointment, and he recommended I turn it in for one of these new Sony V-FET amps. Well it was much better! I'm not sure if I'd describe it as sounding 'tube-like', but I was impressed with the sound quality -- it was at least on par (to my rapidly learning audiophile ears) with the AR amp (introduced in the late 60s). That was a turning point in my audiophile sensitivities, where they turned from a Julian Hirsch 'specification-centric' view of hi-fi components, to a Gordon Holt 'listening-centric' view which is now the norm I'd say.

I wish I still had that amp, but later my house was broken into and it was stolen! Dang.

[​IMG]

3. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I am somewhat of a Yamaha aficionado/obsessionisto and would love nothing more than to own a good Yamaha B-2 amp. The problem is that the V-FET's themselves are extremely hard to find and the guy who works on my stuff says he won't
    even touch anything with V-FET's anymore. There may be a few guys in Japan that have a secret cache of them but if you are stateside you could have real problems repairing a misbehaving unit. I don't think your friend is smoking the audio-fool crack but he is either lucky or has a friend in Japan. If you are determined to get one you could talk to Hifido in Japan and see if they can offer any support for V-FET's beyond their typical 2-year warranty. I love my B-2x but a B-2 would be more than welcome if I had some assurance that I could keep it running.

4. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

No, your friend isn't smoking crack. V-FETs sound great. The technology should be brought back. Just ask Nelson Pass about it.

5. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

V-FET are great, but if they blow good luck replacing them

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

If somebody starts manufacturing V-FETs again I will absolutely buy a B-2.

7. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

The B-2 was/is a terrific sounding amp. Fast, precise and with killer bass.

808_state likes this.
  8. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Maybe someone can do a documentary about some mysterious guy who lives in a dark corner of Akihabara, Japan that zealously guards the final closet full of V-FET's. I would almost bet money this is a true story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.