Opinions regarding Bang & Olufsen turntables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ocean56, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

There is a pot to adjust for that but you need an oscilloscope to do it right, which I don't have. Fortunately, this TX worked great that way.

I'll send you a PM and we can talk.

2. mwicks

mwicks Forum Resident

My father has a Beogram TX exactly like the one ggergm posted pics of. He's the original owner (bought it new in 82 or 83 I think?) and it still works perfectly. He's had to replace the cartridge a couple times and replaced the drive belt (this year!), but other than that he's had zero issues. This table has survived multiple moves, three children (my brother and I both used it at different times) and sitting in an unfinished basement for at least 5 years straight.

In terms of sound, it's pretty good. At one point I was using it with a Soundsmith cartridge and it was noticeably better than the B&O carts we had (MMC3 and MMC4 I believe they were). It doesn't sound as nice as my Rega table, but it has some other advantages. You can pretty much throw a basketball on top of it while a record is playing and it won't skip, everything is sorta "floating" inside of the enclosure. It's also controlled completely with buttons (not a pro for some people) and it auto detects if you're playing a 7" or a 12" with a little sensor next to the tone arm. It makes a great turntable for parties or if you have kids around.

3. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Had one just like this, upgraded to the better B&O cartridge (can't remember the model #) and played it all the time. No issues at all, kinda quirky in some ways but a nice deck for what it was...

4. Tim Ransom

Tim Ransom New Member

Thanks for the advice! I just want to check one thing before I give it a go. Forgive me the silly questions, but I am somewhat a novice and I picked this thing up at a second hand store for $150 originally being told it worked, only to find that wasn't the case. Several hundreds of dollars later and rehabbing with two different techs (plus a new SoundSmith cartridge!), it works pretty well these days and I don't want to mess it up. :)

So when I try this, going backwards won't harm the tone arm or the motor that drives it? It won't, in essence, be pulling against itself? Does the arm just travel freely in whatever direction it is pulled by the grooves? I know that is the case with a regular deck but just wasn't sure with the 4002.

Also, the hidden tracks under the label can apparently be played right through the paper which is pretty wild, but I am reticent to do that for fear it will hurt the cartridge. Besides which, one of the tracks is a 78, and won't work anyway! Curse you Jack White! ;-)

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

To my knowledge, yes, but don't sue me if it's not the case! I know that the table has no problem moving the tonearm in either direction when playing off-center records, so it *should* be fine.

If the whole side is cut backwards, can't you just drop the needle down in, say, the outer 1/4" and make sure it follows the groove okay, and if it does, migrate it over to the center, but if it doesn't, then consider it to be a no-go?

:thumbsdow

Tim Ransom likes this.
  6. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

I have a B&O RX with a MMC4 and MMC3 Cartridge. I received it as a hand me down. It, subjectively, sounds better than my Project Debut III(OEM Cart) and the fully automatic capabilities get you right to listening with out worry if you have to get up and walk away for moment, then lose track of time, to find your needle surfing the run out groove.

Jeff, TonePub is right (a fact) about the service-ability and the Bill from UptownAudio isn't adding any value to the topic (other than his opinion).

ggergm likes this.
  7. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Specifically on servicing B&O turntables, for years I've sent my BG 8002 turntable to one of the few remaining B&O factory service centers in the US, Path Electronics in Arlington Heights, IL. Mark at Path is leery of taking on other turntables for service because while B&O does support them with parts, many parts are now unavailable from the original suppliers. The motor that moves the arm died on my table a couple of years ago. It's no longer made and mine had to be replaced by one from a donor turntable. I was lucky Mark had one.

A couple of weeks ago I asked the Bang & Olufsen store in Minneapolis what they do with their service. While they ship some of it to Path, they send most of it to Pyramid Audio in Austin, TX. I think the world of Chris Lewis at Pyramid Audio. He may be the owner for all I know but I have found out he's an outstanding tech. I have a Beolab 2500 system that is in need of repair and I might send it to Chris rather than Mark at Path.

The B&O Minneapolis store sends their customer's turntables to Soundsmith for repair. That makes a lot of sense to me.

8. MLutthans

This morning, my Beogram 4002 would not lower the tonearm onto the LP. It had been slowing, but today, it just stopped working. I took the table apart, lubed the mechanism, but it still did not work right. I realized that a short (2"?) spring appeared to not be pulling with enough force on the attached pivoting arm. When I moved the small arm manually, it worked fine. Apparently, the spring has lost its tension over time. I'll try to track down a new spring, but in the meanwhile, I snipped about a half-inch off the length of the spring and reattached it, and now everything works great.

:pineapple:

LitHum05, Kubricker and 4xoddic like this.
  9. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

This guy specializes in B&O gear. He has a laser printer and has made some custom parts for them. Has a few for sale too, if anyone is interested.
    Modular Electronics

nosliw, MLutthans and 4xoddic like this.
  10. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

I wonder if B&O will get back into the turntable business??

4xoddic likes this.
  11. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I found a Beogram RX2 that apparently needs a couple of switches under the platter cleaned; when a record is on it, the tonearm moves over but then goes back. Any tips on reaching and cleaning the switches? Someone on YouTube shows only half the process:

12. kenwood61

kenwood61 Forum Resident

I bought a Beogram 1800 new back in 1984 with the MMC2 cartridge. The cartridge cost more than the table. I never regretted it. I only sold it (like an idiot) in 1996 when I got rid of all my good gear during my small child phase of life. I didn't have time to enjoy and didn't want little hands grabbing on fragile stereo stuff.

I have recordings made on my also new Nakamichi BX-1 tape deck that sound great on my Dragon today. For the money, I think it was a great value, especially considering that you don't have to mess with cartridge adjustment. In the race to always have "better", I think it's a shame that B&O tables don't get the respect they deserve. IMHO, most people would be happy with the sound quality of one of these decks. As for the cost of cartridges, I don't see any problem finding one in good shape for around $200, for the MMC4 or MMC3. You just have to know where to find them.

I have a highly modified AR XA with Linn suspension and Rega arm. I have had my Dynavector 10x5 on that table, and now have a rebuilt Mission 773MM (new cantilever, better elliptical) that sounds great. Considering the cost of that table, including cartridge rebuild, while better sounding, I can honestly say that if I'm focused on enjoying music, and not analyzing my gear, I would enjoy music just as much on a B&O table. In fact, I hope to get one as my third table, sometime in the next year while good examples are still able to be found.

nosliw, bever70 and 4xoddic like this.
  13. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

I've used many many turntables over the years driving myself and others in the family crazy! I absolutely love my B&O Beogram 3000 type 59xx 1985-1987 used with MMC1 cartridge retipped by Audio Origin www.audio-origin.co.uk.

bever70 likes this.
  14. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I still have my Beogram RX2 turntable with an MMC5 cartridge intact. It's a neat little turntable with automatic features and is built to prevent skipping during footfalls.

I'm hoping to find a better MMC cartridge or buy a SoundSmith cartridge one day.

15. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

The first time I heard Meddle by Pink Floyd at age 14 or 15 was on a friends dad"s Beogram. Blew my tiny mind.

I've still got a 3000 or something in my attic. Always threatening to get a Soundsmith and get it running again, but always seem to have other things to do with the money.

LitHum05 likes this.
  16. HairyWeimer

If already it has a cartridge on it, get it retipped at audio origin (down Hampshire way I think) with different options available - he has options shown on eBay....

Grower of Mushrooms likes this.
  17. Grower of Mushrooms

The mmc4 that's on it has fallen victim to the dreaded loss of one channel syndrome, so a retip won't help. But thanks for the thought anyway.

18. HairyWeimer

He may have some advice on this, but he still might take it in part chop, drop him an email....

19. Grower of Mushrooms

I had a look at their website. They'll try and repair coils as part of a retip, total cost £155.

Coincidentally at current exchange rate the SMmC4 from Soundsmith is £156 plus postage.

I might go for that. It'd be nice to see the old B&O spinning again.

bever70 likes this.
  20. HairyWeimer

The retip I had on my mmc1 sounded much better than the soundsmith smm3 I also have, much warmer, more of a B&O sound ?!

21. Grower of Mushrooms

But the mmc1 is top of the range. Mmc3 is mid range.

Ergo, one would expect the 1 to sound better than the 3. Not so?

Soundsmith prices smmc1= $1000: smmc3= $350.

bever70 likes this.
  22. HairyWeimer

It's not the original mmc1 it's be been retipped...just a general comment as I have a soundsmith cartridge too. Check out his site there are all sorts of options on having a B&O cartridge retipped whichever grade it is...

23. MLutthans

I have had my beloved Beogram 4002 for 35 years, and went to use it last, and the tonearm just sank down onto the record like a sad little puppy. Luckily, it seems to be a broken cantilever on the cart, not a problem with the turntable itself. I guess that's good news???

All that said, I dug my Technics SP15 out of mothballs, played the record, and life was still good!

24. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

25. Grower of Mushrooms

bever70 and HairyWeimer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.