Opinions ? -Simaudio Moon 310LP phono amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slick Willie, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive Thread Starter

I am looking at this unit, just wondering what is the general consensus of this unit. I have never owned a stand alone phono amp and have decided that I need to take the plunge. I want to explore MC carts. This unit seems to handle most configurations and has balanced outputs, an upgradeable power supply, and a 10 year warranty. I like to A/B recordings, so I lean towards a more analytic sound, tubes are probably not the direction I need to go. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

2. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

I haven't heard the 310LP, but here are my thoughts on the 5.3LP that it replaced in SimAudio's line:

"Comparing the SimAudio 5.3LP with the optional external power supply to an Avid Pulsus, it was no contest. Not a lateral move, or just a different flavor which is often the case as we move from component to component around the same price point. The Avid was just a much better sounding phono preamp. In particular, the treble wasn't as bright on the Pulsus (but it wasn't rolled off or deficient). And the bass detail was also much better in the Pulsus. A very eye-opening audition for me."

Mighty surprising considering that the SimAudio with external power supply was at ~50% more expensive than the Pulsus.

3. Slick Willie

Thanks for the response, the Avid is also on my short list, although the "Moon" in it's "improved" status has "supposedly" improved on those short comings. This stuff drives me crazy. I guess i could order both and return the "lesser" one. A big outlay though, I wish I had a local store to audition! Are you saying the Avid was dramatically different? The Moon is getting good reviews for it's tight dynamic bass. It also is touted as being deathly quiet. But then, Avid also has it's pluses. What to do? I want to order something today, but ...........

4. It's not easy picking a phono preamp and opinions must be taken with a grain of salt or at least be viewed with some reservation. Unless your system is identical, you have equal hearing prowess and your preferences are matched, there is no way to determine with 100% accuracy which unit is better for you.

If you're interested in the 310 I say go for it. Listen for yourself and make sure that whomever you purchase it from has a return policy that is acceptable to you.

Flemming Jørgensen likes this.
  5. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Yes, I am saying that compared to the 5.3LP with optional external power supply, it was a dramatically different presentation. The extent of the difference was surprising. I'd been expecting that it would more likely be a lateral move. Not the case. The greater detail in the bass was particularly noticeable. After that, it was the treble that was noticeably different. Brighter in the 5.3LP, but not offering any additional treble detail.

One possibility could be that I was not using the balanced inputs and outputs of the SimAudio. So maybe not taking advantages that those entail, and yet paying for the extra build cost that balanced may cause. The SimAudio's case also probably cost more to make, with the fancier silver plate. The Pulsus is just focused on a single-ended design with no fancy casework.

True, we do not have the same system. But the same difference was also noted by my buddy who pointed me to the Pulsus in his system.

Both were extremely quiet in my experience, so not sure I'd go with that criteria when choosing between these two.

6. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I have nothing but the highest regard for Simaudio phono stages. Every one I've heard, including the 310, sounded great and was a bargain for the price.

BuddhaBob and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  7. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Marc,

I am curious what you have compared these Simaudio phono stages to?

I had asked a friend who had heard both the 5.3 and Pulsus at separate times, which would be a better choice. And he replied that I should just go for whichever I could get the best price on. Which led me to the 5.3LP with the external power supply. Couldn't resist the opportunity to compare them both when that opportunity came along, and the improvements I mentioned above in the Pulsus were quite clear, surprisingly so.

Had I not compared the phono stages directly, I would likely still be happily using the 5.3LP with external PSU.

And all of this is not to say that the 5.3LP wouldn't have exhibited clear advantages over other phono stages in that price range (such as those which might have a higher noise floor due to the use of tubes or other factors). I can only speak to my experiences vs the Pulsus.

8. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I reviewed the 5.3 a few years ago for TONEAudio and really loved it--it offered a step-up from an inboard phono stage on a $4000 preamp I was using at the time, which impressed me. Then, about a year later, I started reviewing several phono stages in the $1000 range and, after close to a dozen models (Sutherland, PS Audio, Dynavector and a few others), I picked the Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE as my favorite and bought it. But the 5.3 was, in my opinion, even better for just $300 or $400 more. You probably have to go back to my original review to find out exactly why I loved it.

Some time later I heard the 310 at length in a friend's system--so I can't compare it directly to the 5.3--but I was so impressed with its build quality, ease of use, solid imaging and musicality...all of the things I liked about the 5.3.

9. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Simaudio or Moon are building excellent sounding amps , so buy with confidence ... there may be another one out there that might sound a bit better , maybe not - but I am sure you can live happily with the Moon .

10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

If you are going to be experimenting with MC carts, i would pick a phono pre that has as many options as possible for loading. Some only have a couple options, and you might wish for more. Loading does matter to the sound of an mc cart

11. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have the Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena. At $1000 it sounds nearly as good as the Sim 310LP and has more loading and gain options (pretty much anything you'd need, and without opening the box to change settings). Given that, I would not get a 310LP unless I were also getting the 320S PSU to go with it. Next year I plan to upgrade to a phono stage in the $2500-3000 range. The 310Lp+320PS is a bit above that. I am thinking more along the lines of a Fosgate Signature v2.

Musical Surroundings just upgraded the Nova Phonomena. It's now $1200 but with further improvements it might really give the Sim 310LP a run for the money and be the better deal.

Nevertheless, the 310LP is a great phono stage.

12. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Thanks for those details. My 5.3LP replaced a Dynavector P75 (which I could run in Phono Enhancer mode with my LOMC), and it was certainly a step up from that phono stage.

13. Slick Willie

Well, I thought I would give an update and possibly help someone considering this unit. First, most things that I will state are opinions and this is my first stand alone phono amp. I got the Moon 310, well at least for 30 days. When I told the salesperson that I like to A/B different pressings and lean towards detail-they immediately recommended this unit, I see why. This unit is not for those that lean towards a "tubey" romantic sound.I was told to ignore the sound of the unit for the first hour, well that's like tellin' someone-"don't look now, but...-well in that first hour I thought, "well at least i can send it back". That feeling changed quickly (1-2 hours in). This unit is advertised as being musical, dynamic, detailed, with strong lows and extended highs, they do not lie! One warning though, this unit seems to have an almost chameleon like nature, how good it is depends on what you feed it. Good ol' early original, all analog pressings seem to soar with good staging and separation. More modern reissues seem to lack some of the openness of the originals (just compared a Decca Who's Next to Classic Records Quadraphenia-not apples to apples-just an observation. the "Classic" was great, just not at the same level the old Decca was, IMO. Now some pros and cons, as I see them. I also used needle drops made before and after installation of this unit to A/B - reinforce my opinions.
    Cons:
    • Price-almost 2k
    • Eight screws to remove and two jumper plugs(one for each channel-also a plus?) to move for each setting.
    • 300 hours rated break in (why so much, or are they just more honest about it?)
    • Flaws in the vinyl are more evident(also a possible plus-more detailed?)
    Pros:
    • Good build quality-10 year warranty
    • Mirrored circuits, well separated, a jumper plug for each channel to change settings instead of running both channels into one switch.
    • Very dynamic, and I mean -very!
    • Highs are extended, do not "peter out".
    • Seems to fire quick, does not blur during busy passages, no subwoofer-ish bass, good strong, quick, more detailed bass (well, I played AP's Shelby Lynne-Just A Little Lovin' and that was very subwoofer-ish, dislike that one more than I did before).
    • A separate power supply box as an upgrade option. (at $1300 - a con).
    • Many settings for MM carts and should handle any MC cart that anyone at these price points would purchase.
    My planned upgrades and tweaks include switching out to a Venom 3 power cable I have and to play with the capacitance loading-3 options available for MM cart owners, and to just burn it in. I will update again near the end of my 30 day "trial period". sorry to ramble and I hope this helps someone.

jordanb87 and Josquin des Prez like this.
  14. Slick Willie

Oops, left out two important pros, this unit is quiet, deathly quiet, makes everything pop a little more, kinda' like puttin' a picture in a black frame. And, this unit has balanced outputs as an option, one I will explore if I decide to keep it.

15. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

I would consider the Sutherland 20/20. Very versatile w/loadings and in the same price range.

16. Slick Willie

Seems a little finicky and no real advantage over what I am testing, reading the reviews, and I worry about support.... thanks for the suggestion!

17. Josquin des Prez

Nice write-up above. This should be very helpful to others, and matches my limited experience auditioning one a year or so ago.

I just bought a Fosgate Signature v2 the other day. Today is my first real chance to get some time listening to it. So far it's amazing.

18. Slick Willie

Thanks for the kind words, I was scared I was too chatty. Please review when you can, that was also a consideration, it's just so damn purty. Are you a tube guy? Any other tubes in your chain? if I was a jazz guy, I would jump on tubes, but I am more classic rock. I do need to warm my system up a tad - thought I might do it with the cart (I now run a Ortofon Mojo) instead of tubes. This stuff drives me crazy (ier)!!!

19. Josquin des Prez

This is my first jump into tubes. I am a Naim Audio guy, all SS (my system is listed in my profile). Adding tubes to the mix brings some nice things to the table and is a huge step up from my Nova Phonomena. I listen to all acoustic music (classical/jazz), and the Fosgate Signature v2 imparts a much more natural feel to the music. Vocals and flutes sound more breathy. Strings and bass sound more woody, and so on. It also throws a much better sound stage. Wider, more three-dimensional with much less wandering in complex music. On top of that the detail and resolution is improved. Midrange has more weight and warmth, bass is tighter/faster and deeper, while the high end is smoother and sweeter sounding. Musically, it is more fluid without sacrificing the PRaT and dynamics of my Naim.

I just listened to the Glen Moore double-bass solo (A Belt of Asteroids) from Ralph Towner's Trios/Solos album and it sounds amazingly realistic. On the same album Ralph's classical guitar has amazing presence. I left the room and it hit me how realistic it is, sounding like there is really a guitar being played in the room. Now I ma listening to the great Peter McGrath recording of Handel's Water Music on Harmonia Mundi France with Nick McGegan and the Philharmonia Orchestra. It brings out so much that I hear live at the symphony but have missed here. All the wood, and textures of catgut bows on strings. the blaring of the horns and yet it's all silky smooth all the way to the top end. Nice.

Slick Willie likes this.
  20. Slick Willie

Sorry, I did not look at your profile, so many do not list, and I missed your avataro_O. I think you probably picked the perfect one for your price point. I also enjoy classical, but am ignorant of what to buy, as of now all i have is cd's. I plan to use my SACD player as my classical source. Many to choose from, can you recommend a recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons available in SACD for me, I need one!

21. Josquin des Prez

All of my Vivaldi is older analog LPs and I don't play SACD (no CD or SACD player in my system).

The recording by Sir Neville Marriner is a classic Four Seasons, with Alan Loveday and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.

It has been remastered in 24/96 from the original analog tapes. Linn Records shows it listed, but says it isn't available in the U.S., so I don't know if you can get a SACD of it.

22. Slick Willie

Tthanks, have not had good luck with classical LP's and there are many SACD's - I have the players, need to use 'em for something and classical SACD's are so plentiful, I got's to get me some. I'll just use reviews and hope for the best.

23. Josquin des Prez

Do you like Mahler? The Channel Classics recordings of Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Orchestra doing Mahler Symphonies are great. I have them on 24/192 FLAC, ut they are available on SACD. If you aren't sure, start with the 1st or 2nd.

24. Slick Willie

Thanks again, hard to believe anything is not available on SACD, sooooo many titles!

25. Josquin des Prez

There's a lot of stuff on SACD. Do you know about http://www.sa-cd.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.