Opinions wanted! Used VPI Classic 1 vs. new Rega RP6 or Scout 1.1....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dan C, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

I have an opportunity to get a used VPI Classic for around $2,100. It's all there and excellent. Black oak, though I prefer the natural oak for the price it's easy to overlook.

I've also been reading up on the Rega and Scout, both around the $1,500-$2,000 mark. The Rega is a very attractive package, in part because of its 'plug N play' nature and the dust cover. I'm not interested in a fussy and difficult turntable. Is the Classic a bear to set up and maintain?

The Classic seems to be a seriously high end product that isn't always accessible to me. It's so cool.

This is a HUGE investment for me and it'll be something I'm keeping for many years. I want to build up the rest of my system around whatever turntable I buy, so it's a big deal to me.

Gotta act quickly on the Classic. Thoughts please!

dan c

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I've owned both Rega and VPI turntables. The Classic is a great table, and a steal at that price.

Campbell Saddler and LeeS like this.
  3. Dan C

So setting it up isn't a big deal? I've been playing vinyl for many years now but have always had relatively simple decks. This big boy kind of scares me.

dan c

4. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

FYI soundstagedirect and other's seem to routinely have a B stock Classic (brand new) for that price. I personally would take the minor cosmetic blemish with a warranty anyday, over a used item unless it was from someone I knew personally.

BTW I have a Scout (original version) and love it but I wouldn't hesitate to grab a classic if I could swing it. With the increase in the new Scout's price recently it makes the Classic 1 more attractive imho.

5. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Setup shouldn't be that big of a deal. Setting up my Scout was relatively simple. The Classic is a great deck, and a pleasure to listen to.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

VPI Classic 1.

7. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Just to add my voice to the choir - I would take a Classic over a Scout or the Rega. I lucked into my used Aries 1 for $2200, so bargains are out there.

8. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

vpiindustries and Dan C like this.
  9. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

I have a Classic I, and I still use a Rega P25 in a second system. I have listened to both tables with a Dynavector 17D3 and offer the following thoughts:

-It took me a lot longer to set up the 17D3 on the Classic; the Rega was slightly easier for cartridge setup.

-I used the Music Matters reissue of Song For My Father and late 70s pressing of Machine Head for evaluating the sound. My impression was that the mids and highs were comparable, but the Classic had a better low end bass than the Rega.

-Compared to the other tables I've used (Rega P25, KAB'ed Technics 1210M5G, Sota Comet), the Classic was the first table where I thought there was a complete sound in its presentation. The Rega lacked bass by comparison and the Technics (which I still use as well) lacked the mids and highs when I compared the Rega and Technics in this thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-rega-technics-shoot-out.168811/page-11#post-6715987

-Depending on how big the setup ease factor is for you, I can say it was worth it to get the Classic set up and maintained (but it was also my third table that I did). The Classic will definitely give you a more complete sound for the price. If you prefer a lower maintenance table, though, you could go with the RP6 with the Rega Exact II cartridge and be spinning records in 10-15 minutes. This aspect of vinyl playback can affect people's choices more than we will admit sometimes...

-Good luck if you can get the table you ulitmately want at your price point!

Erocka2000 and Dan C like this.
  10. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

I had just purchased a new VPI Classic 1 (Walnut) two weeks ago from Audio Advisor that was in their clearance section for $1999. It was identified as backordered when I made the purchase and then went out of stock and later disappeared from their web site a couple days later. I was somewhat surprised that it actually shipped a few days afterward when reading that their backordered items would often take weeks to ship. It's a longshot but you might inquire by phone if any more are left in stock at that price.

11. Dan C

Sooooo.....

Thanks to Seth at Soundstage Direct, I am now the proud owner of a 'new' (demo) VPI Classic 1. :pleased::goodie:

dan c

PS: I have some questions though...will post more later.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Very cool. Congratulations Dan!

Dan C likes this.
  13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Agreed. Congrats!

Dan C likes this.
  14. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Aweosme!!, enjoy!!

15. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Congrats on the purchase. You will enjoy many hours of great listening with the Classic. :goodie:

16. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Awesome!!!

I just love the look of the Classic series

17. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

It looks magnificent, Dan; hopefully the setup went smoothly for you (the unipivot arm is a bit disorienting initially) :thumbsup:

Dan C likes this.
  18. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Congratulations, Dan, that is a beautiful TT and I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it (I'm sure you will).

19. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Congrats on your new Classic 1, Seth is a good salesman isn't he? :D I enjoy mine on a daily basis. What are you using for a phono stage?

vpiindustries likes this.
  20. vpiindustries

vpiindustries Forum Resident

Looks great Dan! Congrats on your new table. I'm glad Seth was able to get you all set! :righton:

-MW

LeeS, Dan C and Seth like this.
  21. Slowhead

Slowhead Forum Resident

Looking good Dan, enjoy. I see you had some loyal support getting unloaded and set up, cute dog.

22. Dan C

The rig sounds glorious, but I'm struggling to get rid of a bit of buzz.

Seems I have some sort of grounding issue. I've tried all of the obvious tricks (different outlets, cables, grounds, etc). I reduced the hum by removing a power strip, but other than that there's been no difference.

I've got some triple-shielded RCA cables coming that hopefully will do the trick. If those don't work my last ditch variables will be to swap out my integrated, then the cart. My father-in-law is also pondering helping me to run a new dedicated power line to the area (50s-era home with only partially updated electric).

On LPs loud enough to cover the buzz this thing is epic. I'm really itching to get the buzz figured out so I can play ever single LP I own. :D

dan c

23. macster

macster Forum Resident

If I would you, I'd talk to VPI before spending another dime on this.

You can do the following while waiting for a response:

1. Record the hum/buzz and have the file available to send to them to substantiate what you are hearing.

2. Check to see if there is someone near you whom will let you borrow or use a VPI SAMBA (Stand Alone Motor Assembly) and you'll be able to instantly isolate your problem.

3. Check out this thread

M~

Dan C and Campbell Saddler like this.
  24. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Congratulations on the Classic it does look great. Over the summer I got a deal on a VPI scout LE. I believe the same tone arm. I takes some getting used to. I’m so glad I let the dealer set it up. I can do it next time but it was nice watching it being done.
    I also had some noise issues that I had to work out over time. Right off the cable I was using from the TT to Phono preamp had a buzz. It was a higher end cable with a network and works fine as a line level cable but as a phono cable it really sucked. I ended up spending $700 on a phono specific cable but you don’t need to spend anywhere near that just to remove some noise.
    The other thing I did I had an old Shunyata research black mamba power cable. I used it on the motor. I was amazed how well it worked. It noticeably lowered my floor noise. Just last night I was doing a needle drop and it dawned on me that my floor noise has improved greatly. I’m not sure but it seemed as if over time everything got burned in and what was once very annoying now is a non-issue. I also believe that on any given day the power can be dirty and that noise level can get worse.

25. Dan C

Hey guys, thanks much for the tips. The buzz is slowly being diminished by trial and error but it's still there. I got it down a bit today by swapping outlets. I totally removed a power strip from the wall and have my integrated plugged into another outlet on the wall. Oddly, I tried this with a new grounded outlet and the buzz was just as bad as the outlet at my stereo. So today I have an extension running across the floor just for my amp and the noise is lower but still there on very quiet vinyl.

BTW, the motor has nothing to do with the noise. It's there whether the 'table is plugged in or not, on or off.

I was expecting my super-shielded RCA cables to arrive by now but it appears they've gone missing via USPS. :rolleyes: So I'll have to wait to see if it's a cable issue (BTW, I've swapped in every cable I own with no noticeable results, but poor shielding is still a possibility. The cables I bought got great reviews for people looking to remove noise between gear).

dan c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.