Oppo 103 question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Denti, Jul 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denti

Denti Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know this is an "audio" hardware forum, but I was wondering if someone could tell me whether I can use the Oppo's HDMI inputs to play a Blu-ray or DVD from another player (say, a region free one). I'm wondering, that is, if I can use a different player as a source, but still take advantage of all the Oppo's audio/video features.

2. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

I can't directly answer your question, but reading between the lines ... this is all that I can think of....

Your oppo can be made region free. Will this solve your issue?

3. Denti

Denti Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, I know, but why pay $100-200 more for that when I've got a player sitting right here that can do it.
    I asked over at amazon and it looks like it definitely can do this.

Now the question is: will Oppo ever get around to firmware that allows for gapless playback of FLAC via DLNA?

4. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

(I hope this is allowed here, but don't know. Gorts, please zap this post if not.)

Denti, over at AVSforum, if you go to Blue-Ray players, then Oppo 103, there are Oppo Beta testers there who can answer anything. And do.

5. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

I don't have an oppo 103, but it does sound like it can "Dual HDMI Inputs – Connect external devices such as set-top boxes and network streaming devices to take further advantage of the excellent audio and video processing functions by the BDP-103. The BDP-103 offers two HDMI inputs, one on the front and one on the back."

6. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I have an Oppo 103. The HDMI input is a standard input so it will support any HDMI. I have my Directv box connected to the input on the back and I've used my Amazon Fire device connected to the HDMI input on the front. They both worked fine so there's no reason an HDMI from a blu-ray wouldn't work.

7. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

to get region free DVD it's an easy trick, I just did it today and am watching my region 2 UK Phantasm Ball set....but region free Blu Ray requires a mod.

But to answer your question....i believe it would work fine.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I had an Oppo DVD player (their first product, in fact) that one could make region free using a similar button combination as the one that got you unlimited lives in Konami Nintendo games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.