Oppo 103 vs 93

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by deadbase, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Cool. I decided to save for the 203 as opposed to having the 93 "repaired"

2. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

It sure did.

3. From what I have been able to learn, this is not an Oppo/Atmos issue.

It stems from discs with seamless branching, which the earlier Oppos can't handle well. This thread has some relevant discussion.

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 911 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I just recently got an Atmos capable AVR and have watched 3 or 4 Atmos titles on my 93 without issue.

Conversely, the only disc in my collection that glitches is the corrected version of the D.C. of The Wrath of Khan. I need to find out if that disc uses seamless branching.

4. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Thank so for the clarification.

BGLeduc likes this.
  5. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Check a local Best Buy tat has a Magnolia inside. I purchased a floor model for $200 that they were looking to move. My local location also had some returned open box units tha they were selling. They might have them on their site as well, it's worth 5 minutes times to click through.

8. Larry Griffin

Larry Griffin New Member

My BDP-93 is on the way home from Oppo. This was the findings:
    • Diagnostics – Confirmed reported problems. Diagnostics revealed system memory storage had error blocks. This caused the problems.
    • Problem Resolution - Formatted the memory storage to isolate the error blocks and re-installed firmware to revision BDP9x-82-1009.
    • Passed standard post-repair diagnostics.

BGLeduc and Kristofa like this.
  9. jjhunsecker

Great. Let us know how it works when it gets back to you

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would go with the 103 over the 93. The additional cost is well worth it to not have a cooling fan and the ability to rip SACDs. I had two different 95s in my system and the cooling fan on both ran quite a bit. This was with an open rack with plenty of ventilation. The fan was audible from 8' away which I didn't think was acceptable. Did the OP buy either player?

mikeyt and tmtomh like this.
  11. Larry Griffin

Larry Griffin New Member

My BDP-93 returned from Oppo today. All seems well for now.

Doug_B likes this.
  12. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

The Oppo BDP-93 doesn't have a fan.

Kristofa and Rolltide like this.
  13. jjhunsecker

Are the Fox discs playing OK ?

14. Larry Griffin

Larry Griffin New Member

Yes, just like it should.

Kristofa likes this.
  15. jjhunsecker

Great ! I think I might just upgrade to the new model when I can afford it. (I've been unemployed, so I use my Oppo daily now for movies and music, and can't give it up even for a few days to ship it for repairs ! )

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

A few years back, after the 103 came out, I decided to buy a reconditioned 93, because it had everything that I needed It was just being used as a CD transport, DVD's and Blu-Ray discs were connected to the Processor by HDMI. The unit that I received appeared to be 100% NIB, and not reconditioned.

It had not occurred to me about a particular maker of Blu-ray discs. I have a preference NOT to connect things to the Internet that I do not absolutely have to connect to the Internet. My brand new 65" smart TV is and will remain, a very DUMB TV, never connected to the Internet.

The idea of ANY outside source updating anything of mine, without my permission, I find is disturbing.

Often things are working fine and then something automatically updates and nothing works the same as it did before.

The OPPO replaced some refurbished Samsung Blu-ray player that was developing issues.

In the beginning, all of my Blu-ray disks, played flawlessly!

But, during the 2nd half of last year, different Blu-ray disks, which were in perfect condition, would skip or temporarily freeze in places, where they had not done so before.

Which, makes no sense to me, what so ever?

I played the 25th Anniversary Blu-ray disk of Les Miserables for a friend, last fall fall and it played perfectly.

This year, I went to play the same disk again and after the disk was inserted in the player, all it would do is tell me that the disk was loading...

I tried again, a couple weeks ago and still the same thing (The disk was from Universal).

Because of these mysterious issues with Blu-ray disks, I have more or less decided to stay with DVD's, since if they play correctly in the first place, they will continue to play without issues.

With that in mind, I just bought a the regular DVD of the 25th Anniversary of Les Miserables, it plays and sounds fine.

The new TV, upscales to 4K and DVD's look remarkable, the picture is far better than I would have expected, given the TV's ability to have a huge color and contrast range and a extra sharp picture. Yet, the DVD's seem to hold their own.

There was a Blu-ray boxed set from Summit Entertainment which would also skip and freeze, on various disks, where they failed to have any issues before. And, the problems were getting worse, with the freezes and skips keep getting longer and more frequent.

I just replaced the boxed set with the same boxed set, but containing DVD's, instead of the Blu-ray version.

Other than those problems, the 93 has worked fine for everything else.

Since I have a good ESS Saber DAC in the Peachtree iNova, I didn't see the need for the additional investment in the 95/105, each having a top of the line ESS Saber DAC at the time that the model came on the market.

If I were to upgrade my DAC, I would prefer it to be a stand alone unit. My preferences are to be able to change out my disk player and DAC separately.

If I have a DAC that I have a preference for, I would rather not dump it, if I get rid of the player. Players are not that well mechanically constructed and after a few years, it's usually not worth putting more money into an older unit, when it's better all around to purchase a new one, with new updated features.

At the same time, this will free up the DAC to whatever DAC I want to select.

17. jjhunsecker

That issue you had with "Les Miz" is exactly what I have with almost every blu-ray in my collection from Fox- it will just continuously load, but never get to the progrm itself. And these were discs that had played flawlessly in the past (such as "Raging Bull", "Star Wars" and Bond films, among others). A few Twilight Time blu-rays will get to the first screen and no further (some on other sites suggested they may be from the same replicator that Fox is using). Whatever the case, I have numerous discs that won't play. Other blu-rays, as well as DVDs, CDs, and hi-rez audio discs, play without a hitch.

And since Oppo will charge for repairs and shipping, I made the decision to ultimately purchase a new model. I am sticking with Oppo becaue they are the only affordable player that also does SACD and DVD-Audio AND had analog 5.1 outs (I have an older but still very good receiver that lacks HDMI)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

You did load the latest version Firmware?

19. SandAndGlass

No, I have not. While that is something that I should get around to doing, it is not high on my priority to-do list.

My point is, none of these devices are hooked up to the Internet. By devices, I mean no HT related component or stereo component, with the exception of a older Sony streaming box and an original Chromecast device, both of these connect to the Internet wirelessly.

Since I have had the 93, I have never upgraded the firmware and never saw a prior reason to.

I have played many Blu-ray disks and had them play perfectly (sometimes I will have a disk with a small defect).

So, If nothing has changed, why would I need to upgrade the firmware to play something that had played correctly before, with this same firmware?

Nothing has changed.

That is the part that doesn't make any sense to me?

20. SandAndGlass

I actually deliberately bought the 93 because it still has the legacy components and my processor is an Emotiva UMC-1, which also has legacy components.

I was figuring that the 93 might have been designed before the BLu-ray, Analog Sunset laws were enacted, which were back around 2010.

My idea was to get a less restricted player that would have component video if needed. there are too many things that HDMI can place restrictions on.

21. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

OK...

When's the last time you erased "persistent storage"?
    If it's been a while try that........then a soft reset.......then try to play a known problem disc.
    I understand that a Firmware update doesn't appear to be the solution here......... but I would still recommend doing one.

OPPO BDP-93/95 Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update

Some dirt on the laser lens perhaps??

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

What is "persistent storage"? Never heard of it. And, how do you erase it?

How do you perform a "soft reset" and what does that do?

I would like to at least attempt these solutions that you are suggesting.

After that, I will U/D the firmware.

I doubt that there is anything wrong with the laser, since everything else and other Blu-ray disks seem to be working (for now).

Thanks for your sugestions!

Linger63 likes this.
  23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

You can have disc issues with certain BD's and not others for a variety of reasons. Fox is usually the worst because they are completely paranoid and always change the copy protection.

Go to settings>device setup>persistent storage>erase persistent storage.

Like Linger63 said, make sure your player has the latest FW update.

Then do a player reset. settings>device setup>reset factory defaults. Make a note of your previous settings and re-enter them. You can also transfer these settings to a USB stick before you erase them and use the USB to automatically set them again. But in your case, I would re-enter them manually.

Check this page--- BDP-93 Firmware FAQ - OPPOwiki

If you still have problems, they will usually tell you to make sure the player lens is clean. It's not a good idea to clean it like a CD or DVD with a Q-tip and alcohol. I believe there is a recommended disc you can use.
    It's also a great idea to wash any problem discs---yes, with soap and water! You may not see it but there is residue from the manufacturing process. There are also gasses from both the disc and case that are released after manufacturing. Look at the inside of your BD cases. There should be a hazy film you can see. This crap is also on the disc.
    If all else fails, Oppo has a $79 flat fee for repairs. There's such a great resale value for Oppo players it's always a good idea to use the service rather than dump a broken player.

SandAndGlass, Linger63 and SamS like this.
  24. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

This guy had the same problem. He sent to Oppo and they fixed for a flat rate of $79. Check the last page of this thread.

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - Page 943 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

25. jjhunsecker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.