OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

So why get a disc player when you have done all that - you would just need a DAC.

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Can you please explain how this works? I have the Oppo app on my iphone, and all that it seems to do is to duplicate the remote's functionality. What am I missing? I was really hoping for a way to navigate through menus without a monitor.

3. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Do you have the Oppo Mediacontrol app? if not get it, then you can navigate thru the files of an external drive

4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I guess that I only have the remote control app. I didn't realize that there was another app. I'm attempting to download the media control app now though.

5. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

the media control app has the remote as well so you can delete your other one

6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Video for one thing. Also, I like having the option to play discs.

fluffskul likes this.
  7. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I also listen to SACDs and and watch Blu-Rays/DVDs.

Metralla likes this.
  8. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Anyone here using the 105 in combination with a Squeezebox touch? By that I mean, the Squeezebox is being fed into the coax input on the 105 and using it's DAC. I'd like to know how this compares to using a separate DAC. I'm looking to buy a 105 and then a new integrated tube amp, my current integrated has a built in DAC (Peachtree Nova) but since I'm upgrading amps I either need a new DAC as well or to use the one in the 105. I'd rather save the space (and money) and use the 105 but I'd like to know what outboard DACs it compares to.

9. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

Well though I have a 103 and Squeezebox I just run the Squeezebox to my Pioneer Sc-35 and sounds good to me

10. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I love my Oppo BDP-105. Best money ever spent. The other day I made myself a nice Gin and tonic (1/2 Gordon's to 1/2 Q-tonic, over ice).
    Sat down and watched Gravity 3-D on my 150" Carada screen. The picture and sound was amazing.
    I felt like I was floating in space. The Sabre DACS are absolutely incredible.

11. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

How can you get gapless playback with the mediacontrol app? I tried to find the right way, but probably missing some obvious setting. Thanks for your advice.

12. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

17. Added an experimental feature of "Gapless Playback". Currently this feature only works for WAV and APE music files, and can be enabled in the music file navigation interface by pressing the OPTION button then selecting the "Gapless playback" choice. In the Gapless mode, you may use the buttons like PAUSE, PLAY, STOP, NEXT and PREV, but not REV and FWD. This feature is still under development and may be improved in the next firmware releases.

13. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

Thanks, but I am only able to get this working with the hardware remote and monitor. Not with the mediacontrol app.

14. john greenwood

Can't compare it to an outboard DAC, but it is significantly better than the DAC in the Touch.

15. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I've never even heard the DAC in the touch, I've always used my Nova. Maybe it's better who knows. Anyway, the 105 uses the lastest and greatest ESS Sabre32 Reference chipset so I'd imagine it sounds at leat better than the Nova which uses the older ESS 9006 chipset. I guess it doesn't matter much anyway, I'm going to buy the 105 regardless for it's disc capabilities and if the DAC is good enough to where I don't need a separate one then all the better.

16. john greenwood

The DAC in the touch had the reputation for being quite good for the price. It certainly outperformed the Pioneer AVi59 that was hooked up to the system prior to my Oppo.

17. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

for my mediacontrol app to work right, i have to sign my phone onto my home network, and disconnect from veri$on.

Robert van Diggele likes this.
  18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Forgive me if this has been answered as there many threads to sift through.

If I play a CD that has pre-emphasis, will the BP-105 play it correctly? Thanks for your answers!

19. mongo

mongo Senior Member

If you add a squeeze of lime to that GT you get 4-D :agree:

sushimaster likes this.
  20. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

If the pre-emphasis is in the Table of Contents, yes. If it's in a subcode, no. It has to do with the kind of Blu-Ray drive the Oppo uses, one that's made for computer use. Apparently that kind doesn't always (ever?) read PE flags in the subcode the way stand-alone CD players do. That's my understanding, anyway.

Do a search on pre-emphasis OPPO and you'll probably get some useful hits. I've been able to make subcode-flagged PE discs into TOC-flagged discs by ripping the disc with a cue sheet, altering the cue sheet to put PE in the TOC, then burning a new CD.

Simon A likes this.
  21. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

By the way, I did trade up my BDP-105 for a BDP-105D. As Sam said, the sound is identical. I haven't tried out the DSD-128 capability yet. I can say that the Darbee was worth the extra 100+ for me (the + is for shipping). I've got it dialed in pretty subtly, but even at that I can notice more apparent depth and pop to the picture.

Kudos to Crutchfield for letting me do the trade-up with absolutely no questions and absolutely zero hassles. I got the new player, boxed up the old player with the RMA, shipped it back, and heard from them the day they received it. Quite remarkable customer service. I can't praise them too highly--really, they outdid themselves with this one. Viva Crutchfield!

JorgeGvb, jlc76 and Simon A like this.
  22. fluffskul

So if it doesn't read pre-emphasis correctly, its not truly an HDCD player?

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Very smart!

I don't think those features have anything to do with each other.

24. fluffskul

The only time I see pre-emphasis mentioned are in all the HDCD threads where its generally agreed upon that if an HDCD doesn't use pre-emphasis it will make no difference whether or not its played on a CD player that encodes HDCD or not. If there is more to it than that please point me in the right direction as I don't want to bring this thread off-topic.

EDIT: Using google I answered my own question.

25. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Another option is to use iTunes (which will compensate for per-emphasis) and rip into WAV files for playback vis flash drive or music server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.