OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Interesting. My only concern there would be, how does the power amp handle the balanced and unbalanced inputs both being connected at the same time? Even if you aren't playing both at the same time, both would potentially present a load to the amp, which could impact impedance.

Or I could be completely wrong. :)

Thoughts anyone?

2. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Not sure! I think only the selected inputs are active, but not both simultaneously, would need to check into that. :)

tmtomh likes this.
  3. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

UPDATE: the Monoprice 1X2 Pro arrived today, and it works so far with the TiVo as input, TV as output 1, and Oppo as output 2. However, because my TV does not decode surround sound and the splitter will drop all signals to the lowest common denominator, I have to unplug the output 1 cable from the input on my TV to get surround sound via the Oppo. It seems that such is the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Is anyone else having this issue with their BDP-103? Using the network option I can connect to an external drive which is hanging off of my router. However, every time I want to connect to it I have to re-enter the user ID and password even though I have selected the 'save password' option. Most of the time the fields are already filled in (ie User ID admin) but I have have to go through the whole hunt and peck method of re-entering the user ID and password (and my password is quite long!)

5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I don't have a hard drive hanging off my router, although I do have USB ports on it. I do have a Synology NAS and never have to enter credentials.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks. I have permissions set requiring the password, my issue is that the Oppo doesn't seem to be remembering it.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love my new Oppo 103D except I can no longer get my Marantz 633 pro CD recorder to recognize/automatically insert digital track increments ever since I introduced the Oppo player into my system AND THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. The Marantz is receiving and recording digital signals just fine, it just no longer automatically inserts track increments onto the discs it records. I just can't figure this out. Any opinions?

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think someone else had the same issue with an MD recorder last year. I am not aware of a solution.

9. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Can anyone tell me if the Oppo 103 can play MKV files off the network HDD?

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

of course it can :)

JediJoker likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you take the 103D out of your system does that enable the Marantz to insert track increments? I'm not familiar with the 633 but how can the addition of the 103D cause the issue with the 633?

Bill

JediJoker likes this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I had it working this morning, then fiddled with the settings and now I'm back in hell again.
    I'll figure it out.

13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Are you recording CDs from from your Oppo to your Marantz? If so, what was the previous play that you had which automatically inserted the track breaks?

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yes, I'm recording from my new Oppo 103D to the Marantz 633, which I've had for a year. I finally got the Marantz to automatically insert track increments once again today after spending all afternoon fiddling with its settings and trying really hard to decipher its rather difficult-to-decipher PDF manual. Jesus, they make it hard to have the machine perform such a basic function ... and I don't consider myself an idiot with these things, either. Anyway, as of now, looks like I've got the Marantz performing like I want it to.

BTW, I've currently got three different Marantz professional CD recorders (and I've owned a total of six over the last 15 or 20 years)and the CDR-633 is a stellar machine, for sure ... but I've never experienced the difficulty in setting one up like I have with this one. The rule for this machine will be: Now that it's working thew way I want it to, I'm not gonna touch its settings again.

Oh, and you'd think that after all this I'd have a firm grasp on just how to set this machine up, but I don't. Essentially, I simply hit on the right combination and it worked. Agh.

sacsongs likes this.
  15. I randomly came across a site claiming to use firmware to allow ISO playback on the 103/105. Can anyone verify if this is legit?:
    http://www.bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=29

By the way I was searching the net for upgrading ISO playback through a computer (does a graphics card affect this?) when I found the link above.

16. So, if you don't have their multi-region hardware PRO kit installed, you won't be able to use this firmware.

JediJoker likes this.
  17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

finally got around to hooking up my Yamaha cx-a5000 m/c inputs from my oppo 105d with my audioquest diamondbacks... it sounds ok.. not like what i was expecting.. set everything to small with 80hz crossover , also tried other combos but just can't get enough deep bass.. no matter what i try.. my sub engages .. but it just doesnt seem to be enough.. i have tried dsd and pcm for sacd.. i have tried dvd-audio.. i have tried everything.. like i tried the pink floyd 5.1 sacd and it sounds nice.. but not enough deep bass.. mids and high s and mid bass . but again not enough deep bass.. although i have read that some pre/pro's dont do as well as with others .. maybe i should try my monster cable reference 2 's.. although i don't think it is a cable issue. per se.. plus i dont seem to get enough gain.. like i have to drive the gain up way high on the yammie to get loud enough sound... any ideas? Th yamaha has absolutely no settings for its m/c inputs.. so i am relying completely on the processing of the oppo.. maybe i am just more used to the way the yamaha bass management sounds? But i figured i could get the 5.1 and 3 channel m/channel tracks to sound better on analog than on hdmi for m/channel...ugh...

set SW to on and to 16 ft and +6 db (still not enough bass, afraid to increase it in case it clips or something)
    set FR to 9 ft +1.5 db
    set FL to 8.5 ft 1.5db
    set C to 8 ft to 2.5 db
    set RR 3 ft to 1.5 db
    set RL 3 ft to 1.5 db

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  18. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Well I might have fixed my problem. I did a reset on my Oppo and a firmware. Update and I am now playing elton john honky chatueu sacd multi channel and it sounds damn amazing. Blows away multi on HDMI which was OK. Well I think I solved my issue. I hadn't realized when I was playing with the Oppo that I hadn't updated my firmware in a while. I'm sure that helped .. I feel like the sound is fuller or something .. Anyway this is a real treat hearing this the way I was supposed to. Now I can hear my 5.1 and multi channel discs in their glory on multi channel sabre Dacs output!!!!!!

19. JediJoker

I have had a similar issue with both the BDP-83 and -103D on my system where there is also no configuring the multichannel analog inputs. Never had an issue with the previous, early Sony DVD player. Wonder what gives?

20. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

I had the exact same problem with my new 105d when connected to the m/c inputs of my yamaha rx-v667. I went back to hdmi to use the yammy's processing. This is a shame cos I was looking forward to using the oppo 's dacs and processing. I noticed in your next post you solved the issue by updating the firmware. My oppo is nearly brand new, so do I still need to do this? Thanks

21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I would definitely update your firmware as it probably doesn't have the newest one just in case. You can check the firmware version and compare to what's on the oppo website !

JediJoker likes this.
  22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Perhaps we define configuration but can you say, specifically, what you can not configure with those Oppos? I have not had any problems that I would describe that way.

rbbert likes this.
  23. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Way back there someone was saying that the audio cuts out when an HDMI connected TV is turned on or off (to navigate menus, etc). Does this happen on the (say 105 for example) XLR outputs? Is this because both are simultaneous and synced?

24. JediJoker

Let me clarify: the integrated receiver/amplifier in my system (Sony GA8ES) has no configurable settings for its multichannel analog inputs (and has no digital inputs). The Oppos, of course, have plenty of options available for the outputs. The old Sony DVD player had configuration available, but not for the bass management, if I recall correctly. It always seemed to have "appropriate" bass for multichannel material (but also had dedicated stereo outs, like the 83 and unlike the 103D), whereas neither the 83 nor 103D do, in my experience, no matter what I do with the bass management settings. I could always turn up the volume on the powered subwoofer, but then, I'd have to turn it down again whenever the receiver is passing audio from stereo inputs (as it frequently does) and employs its own bass management.

25. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

So, the Oppos do have all the configuration options available but, for some reason, you cannot get them to balance properly in your system. Is that what you are saying? If so, that is in contrast to my experience with them feeding a multichannel analog preamp/amp system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.