OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Are you in USA? I thought Marantz has 5 years warranty in US.

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That is true. It is a crap shoot sometimes.
    However, as I said in another post, I paid $999 for the SA 8005 and $500 for the BDP 103.
    Before I disconnected the SA 8005, I listened to one of the SACDs that I could find that the SA 8005 could still read. I compared it with the BDP-103. I could not hear any dramatic difference between the two players.

Linger63 and Bill Mac like this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Good point. I should have shipped it back to Marantz. However, I wanted a player that read Blu Rays and Audio DVD
    so I purchased the BDP-103. The Marantz is sitting collecting dust.
    I moved to Ontario from the US a year ago so I am not sure if they will hassle me over the warranty since I no longer live in the US. I think I may look into it.

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

You can't really use it as a preamp, per se.
    You can connect it directly to your amp, and use the volume control on the 105, though.

I didn't like the sound on my setup.
    I need a preamp.

5. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

So, 100% volume on the Oppo is line level, right?

6. HiFi Guy 008

I don't know. I have it set to 100% just as a rule.
    But occasionally it's convenient to have the volume control on the Oppo remote and iPhone if you don't want to bother picking up the pre's remote.
    I find myself using the iPhone app more than the Oppo remote.

JediJoker likes this.
  7. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

what didn't sound right? Mine sounds pretty good but maybe a little edgy. The Bryston may sound smoother.
    ]
    Yes this is my understanding. In my setup I have have the volume around 70%or lower.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

When I got the 105EU I used it as a pre amp. It spunded good, but was missing some low end. Inserting my Atoll pre amp gave me a fuller sound.

ghost rider likes this.
  9. ghost rider

this describes how mine is sounding.

Robert van Diggele likes this.
  10. ghost rider

The thing is the Bryston has to burn a lot of power. It gets very hot, always has all their stuff runs hot. It still has 8 years of warranty left and is still limited to 5.1 analog. I bet I can get $1300 or better.

11. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

I have a BDP-105 and use the 7.1 analog outs, and I have a sub and full-range (20-20kHz) L/R speakers. If I unplug the sub and remove it from the configuration on the BDP-105, will the 105 automatically route the LFE to the L/R channels properly?

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would ask the above questions in this thread over at AVS. There are several very knowledgeable members posting over there specifically Bob Pariseau who is very helpful.

Bill

13. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

It would not do so automatically. You need to go to the speaker setup menu and change the L?R speakers from small size to large. It sends the LFE to the sub for small speakers and to the L?R speaker if set to large.

14. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Yes and no. LFE channel is always sent to LFE output. If a satellite is set to "Large," its output is full range, unaltered from the mix channel. If set to "Small," low frequencies will be redirected to LFE output below the selected crossover frequency. I don't believe there's any setting that will send the LFE channel to the LF and RF outputs. AVS guys will know more.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

bru87tr and tmtomh like this.
  16. HiFi Guy 008

Will this detect a cd's PE flag if it's outside of the TOC?
    We need this.
    If not, how do we make a copy of a cd to include the PE flag in the TOC?

What does the new firmware do?
    We also need an update of the iPhone app - which is great.
    But it sometimes conks out, reporting "click to reload" which does nothing.
    And sometimes reports "Nothing playing."

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you click on the link all the updates are listed.

Bill

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just updated my 103 and 105D. It doesn't get any easier than doing the online FW updates for Oppo players :)!

Bill

bru87tr likes this.
  19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

....there are firmware upgrades, and then there are Oppo firmware updates...

Then again, I find the ones by Sony, Cambridge, Onkyo appear to be just as seamless and fuss free. Maybe you just have to think about doing the ones by Oppo, and they're just, like, so, there...! :D

20. There is such a setting--you set the subwoofer setting to "off" and the front L+R to "large" and the Oppo will redirect the LFE information to the front L+R.

RoyalScam, JediJoker and bru87tr like this.
  21. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

Since I updated my firmware, my 103 seems to be hanging. Has happened maybe 3 times in 20-30 hours of use. Also it has gotten stuck powering off (it says "off" but doesn't turn off). Need to take some notes and open a support ticket, I guess.

22. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Based on your post above, I decided to drop in at Oppo Digital this afternoon, since I'm in the San Jose area for work this week and figured it was worth a 1.5-hour round trip (ugh, 101 traffic!) near rush hour to visit and see whether an Oppo in person is as impressive as it is on their website. I'm already basically planning to buy an Oppo, but I figured this little field trip would either reassure me that I'm making a wise purchase, or it might give me reason to pause ...

I walked right in, and a guy immediately gave me a warm welcome and walked me through a fairly comprehensive demo of the player's features. They had a 103D model blu-ray hooked up to what I guess was a 50+ inch Sony HDTV (appeared to be a 4K model television). He answered all my questions, walked me through every single menu setting, told me that the laser inside is made by Sony. I asked him about what they do at the offices there, and he said they have sales and tech support there, and in the back they do repairs and shipping.

I asked him whether - as I had read online - the 103D's Darbee processing limits native DSD output to only one of the two HDMI-out ports. He wasn't sure so he walked over and asked a tech support rep, who assured him that (now?) both HDMI-out ports on the 103D can output native DSD (no conversion to PCM first).

He mentioned casually that they might be coming out with a new model in a year or so, with the only feature he mentioned being support for 4K video resolution. I can’t recall the exact context of our conversation that led to his mention of that, and I certainly would not take that as any sort of definite statement. Conservatively I would say it seems clear to me that they continue to invest in R&D and I expect that sooner or later they will put a new model out.

The one thing I totally forgot to ask about was if he could tell me anything about the BDP-101CI model that I recently saw on their website. Doh!!

Oh, and I asked him Oppo blu-ray players ever go on sale, and he said he's never seen it happen in the 9 years he's been there.

I liked being able to touch the device, feeling the cool metal of the front panel (compared to all the plastic front panels in the rest of my system).

A very enjoyable experience overall, solidifying in my mind that this will be a good quality electronics purchase, replacing both my Denon DVD-3910 “universal” player, as well as Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray Player.

Craig.

23. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi Craig,

If, by any chance, you take your analog stereo SQ seriously I would recommend the 105D over the 103D.

Of course budget is a consideration as the price difference is substantial but.........IME........well worth it.

The Cambridge 752BD analog stereo SQ gets good raps too and, as it has just become a run out model, would ALSO be a great option.

It is currently much cheaper than the 105D and not that much more than the 103D.

If good stereo SQ does matter to you then I recommend at least checking them both out BEFORE spending any $ on a 103D........just to be sure.

Cheers

tmtomh likes this.
  24. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I'm going for the 103D because I will only connect it to my Denon receiver via HDMI. Thus, the premium D/A converters associated with the analog outputs don't matter to me for how I intend to connect this blu-ray player to my system.

Craig.

bru87tr and Linger63 like this.
  25. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Its 3 years.

And wow. I love this disc player/DAC. Though I've had that issue with every other SACD player I've owned (only 2). But I've never had a single issue with the Marantz SA8005 and pray I don't (and that I filled out my warranty paperwork correct).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.