OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's true. Unless I have issues with my 103 or 105D the FW will not be updated!

tmtomh and rbp like this.
  2. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Just to put a time-line on Oppo's 2016 105D inventory during the waning days:
    I purchased my Oppo 105D on October 10th, 2016 direct from Oppo Digital's web site. There were 5-6 units left in stock on the date I purchased.
    Just out of pure curiosity, I would check on Oppo's web site every couple of days thereafter, and when my previous inventory check indicated 1-2 units, the next day or two the inventory would be re-supplied with 20. I think this happened twice during approximately 1-2 weeks following my Oct 10th purchased, after which there were no more 105D' to be had from the Oppo's site.

tmtomh, Hymie the Robot and Bill Mac like this.
  3. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Yes, but mileage may vary....its not completely straight forward on the Pioneers. I think there are different builds for each Pioneer player. Do a little research on Computer Audiophile forums and see for yourself. I had a doozy of a time getting things to work right on my OPPO 105 but eventually I got all the Legos to work together.

JediJoker likes this.
  4. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

At this point, there is nothing to really "fix" so firmware updates are pretty much optional. They haven't added real features or apps that are worth much to me....but wondering if I should just buy a Pioneer and sell off the OPPO...then upgrade??? hmmm, I had a PS3 but those things were clumsy and prone to failure.

5. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

SamS and tmtomh like this.
  6. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

My gently used 103 arrives this week. Can't wait to try ripping some of my SACD to dsf

Linger63, tmtomh, cyclistsb and 2 others like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I had trouble again today playing the Blu-ray from Eric Clapton's Give Me Strength box set on my Oppo 103. There is a known issue with the GMS Blu-ray as it has what can be best described as "scalloping" on the outer edge of the disc. The disc spins continuously with a rattling/clicking noise and won't come out of the "pop up menu" mode on the 103's display. I tried playing the Blu-ray on my 105D and it loaded and plays fine.

Odd how it won't play on the 103 but will play on the 105D. I believe both players have the same FW. I'll have to check to see which FW versions each players have. I'm not aware of the 105D having a better transport than the 103.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If your 103 has loader firmware 6U1000, then it has a different transport than what's in the 105D.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

OK, thanks! I'll check the 103's FW when I stop the disc I'm playing on the 105D.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sam,

You were 100% correct in that my 103 has loader version 6U1000. The 105D has loader version 7B1400. So it looks like that is why the Give Me Strength Blu-ray would play on the 105D but not with the 103. Very interesting to know this in that the 105D has a different (better?) transport than the 103. Thanks again for your help :)!

11. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

Anybody tries this beta firmware?

Main Version: BDP10XEU-83-1226B

It does not say what kind of things will be changed.

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Ooh, new firmware. Thanks for the heads-up. I will try it out later in the day.

Robert van Diggele likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

When you click on "Installation Instructions and Download Link: Click Here" it shows the items listed below of items resolved or improved.

OPPO BDP-103D Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update »

1. Resolved an issue with gapless playback. (BDP10X-83-1226B)
    2. Resolved a no audio issue with certain receivers when playing DD+ 5.1 content from Netflix and Vudu. (BDP10X-83-0918B)
    3. Resolved an issue where the player would automatically power off when receiving commands via a TCP connection. (BDP10X-83-0918B)
    4. General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples. (BDP10X-83-0918B)
    All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

14. wolfram

Sounds promising. I really hope they resolved the gapless playback issue the last FW introduced. At the moment I keep changing between the last two versions, depending on whether I need gapless playback from USB or proper subtitles from mkv files. If the new one combines both, I might be able to stay with it.

15. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

thanks I was looking at the .co.uk site, but I did not see those notes there.

16. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I've got a WTB post in the classifieds right now if anybody has an older Oppo BDP they want to sell.

17. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

The latest beta firmware still works fine for SACD ripping, FWIW.

18. wolfram

Quick testing of the new firmware left me quite satisfied. Gapless playback from USB drives works flawless again, just like subtitles in mkv files. And yes, SACD ripping still works as well. That's pretty much all I was hoping for.

Dolby TrueHD from mkv files, which worked as bitstream on the last firmware, suddenly only works as LPCM output again. But that's not a big deal for me, since I just set HDMI Audio to AUTO and now all other codecs are put out as bitstream, while Dolby TrueHD is put out as LPCM (which is still lossless anyway).

All in all I'm happy I don't have to change between firmwares anymore.

19. wolfram

It doesn't seem as if a firmware update will change this, otherwise Oppo probably would have done it by now. Either it's not possible to change it in the software or Oppo just doesn't care or feels responsible. Which they aren't after all. It's not as if they implemented that option intentionally.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good reports - thanks.

Robert van Diggele likes this.
  21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Where is the 205? I have been designated to order it for our group(5) so that we can have them shipped to one address.
    We want them NOW!!!!!!!!!

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What was the issue with gapless playback? Was the issue with the latest FW (BDP10X-83-0715)? I'm assuming that there still isn't gapless playback with DSD files.

23. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Thanks, correct me if I am wrong but beta firmware can be rolled back but official firmware cannot...right? Even though I believe you will all my trust, I still want to be safe as killing off my SACD ripping would be a complete disaster :)

JediJoker likes this.
  24. wolfram

Yes, the issue was with the latest firmware. It introduced a small gap between FLAC files played from USB drives. At least the Beta did - I never upgraded to the official one.

I didn't check for DSD files, since I didn't expect any changes here.

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Oppo beta FW updates can be rolled back, official no. I could be wrong but I believe the 103/105 SACD ripping capability is hardware related not FW related. So it would not be a feature that can be removed with a FW update. There has been one official FW and beta FW since the 103/105 were found to have the ability to rip SACDs. With both of these FW updates the capability to rip SACDs has not changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.