Oppo BDP-83 disc tray issue / customer service

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by R E Faust, Nov 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi

Several members here may be aware that there is an issue with the disc tray on these Oppo machines and that Oppo recommend you leave a disc in or send it back for service or obtain the parts to fix it from them.

OPPO Digital - Knowledge Base »

I've been keeping a disc in at all times but the other day it closed whilst I was swapping discs out and I can't get it open. This has happened once or twice before but I have been able to resolve the issue by pushing lightly on the tray just before the motor ejects it. This time it doesn't seem to want to work.

Can anyone who has resolved this by obtaining the parts tell me whether there was a charge for them? I would expect it to be free as it is a known manufacturing fault,

(would have posted in the previous thread on this but it is closed)

thanks

R E

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Seeing as you're in the UK , can you confirm when you bought the player and if you bought it new? Your contract of sale is with the retailer and in England and Wales you have up to six years from the date of sale and the retailer must assist (five years if you're in Scotland).

If that is the case, then go back to them, explain the issue and that is a known manufacturing fault. You'll be covered by the Sale of Goods Act (as that was the law in force at the time as it changed a couple of years ago). As long as you've got your receipt (or other proof of purchase) you should be good to go.

If it's a secondhand purchase or Gumtree, eBay, then different rules apply. Much less watertight.

It all depends on your purchase date however, and where you bought it from (new from a retailer, or secondhand)

And if you're looking at later, then contact Oppo, they may well be happy to help with some free parts or similar.

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Contact Oppo customer service that you want to return you 83.

My 83 did the same thing and even though it was out of warranty they fixed it for free AND returned it by FedEx so I had my player back the same week!

It may take a bit longer since you are in London.

4. R E Faust

I contacted Oppo UK about the issue and they have said they can send me the parts or I can return it to them for repair. The kicker is they are asking me to pay £36 for the parts or £60 plus the cost to ship it to them for them to do it. They cite the fact that the guarantee has expired as reason to charge. I have to say I am extremely disappointed by that. This is a known issue which they identify on their own website. It should come under the heading of manufacturing fault. If I had known there was a limit on the window I had to sort this out I would have done so sooner. So much for the sale of goods act, eh?

I sent Oppo US a message about my experience with the UK service department two days ago but so far no response.

I have read a great deal on here about Oppo's supposed excellent customer service but I have to say so far that is not my experience

R E

5. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

FYI - It's a holiday here in the USA. Thanksgiving falls on Thursday, NOV 24 and most businesses are closed. Further, many businesses are also closed Friday NOV 25 or have limited staff. And then that takes you into the weekend. Because of the holiday, you may not get a response from Oppo USA for several days.

6. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Me too. Great service. It is over five years old. Can't say enough about OPPO service.

jerol

7. HedgeHog

HedgeHog Well-Known Member

Way back in 2010, when I had the 83, the disc loader problem arose. I contacted Oppo and they sent me the drive loader unit so I can swap it. I sent my defective one back. Pretty straightforward and great customer service.

8. R E Faust

Hi, yes thanks for the reminder. I did realize just after I posted that they might not be there on the Friday ;-) They have since been in touch again. I am in contact with the US customer service people and things look like they are progressing. I have found them much easier than the Oppo UK people to deal with so far.

As an update I did actually manage to get the tray open yesterday. I wasn't keen to try forcing it - in the past I have pressed in very lightly just before it tries to eject and that has worked the two or three times this has happened before. For what it is worth this is how I did it:

Press 'Open'
    Wait til the tray fails to open and 'Loading' appears on the display
    While it is displaying 'Loading' press 'Open' again
    Repeat

I found that on the third try the draw opened normally. Obviously I immediately placed a disc in so it is good to go until I get the machine fixed.

Thanks for the other suggestions

R E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.