OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player (part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That's normal. I've never seen a player that could circumvent that. I suppose you could use analog video instead of HDMI?

scobb and Bill Mac like this.
  2. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

It's funny; but this is the only forum I've read that has such a pervasive concern about the fan. I saw somewhere that some boobs were trying to sell special bags of goo to other boobs for disgraceful sums of money. The claim was that if you put them on top of your component, they'd absorb micro-vibrations. I tried a large cooler bag - the kind you freeze before using - on my DV-980H, unfrozen so it would be soft. I couldn't hear a difference. When my BDP-95 comes, I may try a frozen one wrapped in a towel.

3. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

By the way, were any successful DIY mods ever found? Also, I am pretty sure the BDP-95 I'm getting has not been connected to the internet for updates since it was first purchased. Would it make sense to do so now, or would I be asking for trouble?

4. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

olschl likes this.
  5. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

6. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

If you don't update, their will be some BD's that may not play.

7. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Yes.......

See here for a complete firmware update history.

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews »

These updates were for the 93/95 models.
    Clicking on each link (don't bother with the Beta ones) should give a description of the update.
    If you are happy with the changes and prepared to lose ISO ability.........you will only need to do the latest one....

OPPO BDP-93/95 Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update »

If you get stuck or want more specific info just Email OPPO Customer Service.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  8. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I guess I'll have to see what version my player has when it comes. The links on the AVS forum are not working for me. I'll contact Oppo and see if it is possible to update to the version just before losing ISO. Did anyone notice any improvements after loading any of the updates?
    I'm peobably just trying to keep myself occupied until my baby arrives and we can play. :pleased:

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I had the 95 in an open rack and I could hear the fan from 7' away. Not a big deal but like the 103 and 105D better as there are no fans in either player.

10. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I think the 95 does analog audio better than the 103 and I can't afford the 105 at the moment. Darbee would be a waste of money for me. I'm going to pack the 95 with dry ice to kill the fan and make all the copper super-conducting like in an MRI. Just kidding with that last bit.

11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Never heard my 95's fan once when I had one........(also open rack..... but sitting 10 feet away)
    And I would expect it's analog audio SQ to clearly better the 103's......

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Consider using a shelving unit which would allow you to operate the 95 without the cover (while still providing protection). Not only will the fan operate rarely if at all, the sound quality seems to be a little better

13. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

I've never heard the fan on my 95 either

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think hearing the fan would be better than running the 95 without the cover. Without the cover on the chance of dust and dirt getting inside the 95 is not good IMO.

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

What do you think the fan does??? It's easy enough to blow compressed air through the unit once a week or so. I've had my 95 without a cover for a few years now; I'm pretty confident that no more dust settles into it than would be pulled through by the fan (very likely less), and the sound and picture are definitely better,

16. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I had an 83 many years back and the fan drove me nuts. I ended up replacing it which did help some.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If it works for you then that's cool :). I thought the fan pushed warm air out of the 95 drawing in cool air from the vents at the bottom of the case. But I never checked to see which way the air flowed with the 83SE or 95. I still wouldn't do it just to avoid hearing the fan run. How does having the 95's cover off improve the sound and picture?

18. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I don't think I'll be too sensitive to the fan. My HVAC is forced air.

19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Drawing cool air (and dust and dirt) through the vents in the bottom and on the top of the case. What do you suppose happens to that dust and dirt when the fan stops LOL?

Picture is just a bit cleaner, the sound is just a bit more open. Only a subjective impression, no measuremets, it definitely might be due to expectation bias.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The fan isn't powerful enough to draw dust and dirt in through the vents in the bottom of the 95. Unless you got the optional shop vac fan ;). C'mon man! How can the fan draw air, dust or dirt from the top of the case when there's no vents in the top of the case? If you look under the 95 with the fan running do you see dust and dirt being sucked into the 95? Bottom line is far more dust and dirt will get inside the 95 with the cover off opposed to it being on. You can deny that fact all you want but it's just common sense IMO.

I would say it's definitely expectation bias. As there no way to explain the difference just because the cover is off IMO.

21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Common sense perhaps, but not my experience, and it would be unwise to hypothesize in the absence of some data

Oppo 95 mods »

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think you'll be fine. The 95 is an excellent player and if you're accustomed to your HVAC system running then the fan noise will be insignificant :).

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Sure it is. "The fan isn't powerful enough to draw dust and dirt in through the vents in the bottom of the 95" It doesn't take much to draw that light dust you can't see inside.

24. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Taking the cover off is also a bad idea because there's a good chance the unit wont run as cool as it did with the fan.

I have a digital 24 track pro recording machine (RADAR 24) that has a fan. They have a great tech support group. They firmly stated that pulling the cover off and disconnecting the fan would lead to an overheating. So, I gobo'ed it off. (My mixing space is in my tracking space.)

25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I didn't disconnect the fan, but with the cover off it hardly ever turns on (pretty much never with audio, only occasionally with Bluray video that has a high data rate). Anyone can do what he or she wants, but you all are exhibiting what has euphemistically been called "contempt prior to investigation". All I can tell you is that it works well, and has done so in a totally trouble-free manner for almost 3 years now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.