OPPO HA-1 Headphone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

There are some headphone amps that include crossfeed. Most headphone amps, even the very expensive ones, do not do crossfeed.

The Light Harmonic Geek and Pulse headphone amp/DAC combos have a crossfeed. They're implementing it as a combination of digital DSP and analog circuits. That's a potentially interesting way to implement crossfeed and is one of the reasons I decided to try a Pulse. I'm curious how their crossfeed will sound, and also curious about the DAC and amp.

The Oppo though wouldn't be able to do that. One of their stated goals is to keep the analog inputs and analog path pure. Can't be adding crossfeed done with DSP if that's your goal. And pure analog crossfeed generally doesn't work so well. Kind of a shame to have that DSP power in the Oppo and not be able to use it for crossfeed. Not a big deal though. I'd rather have a really good amp than a lesser amp with crossfeed. If the Oppo manages to be a really good amp then the lack of crossfeed is no big deal. My tongue in cheek take on crossfeed is that it is a crutch for lesser amps. A really really good amp with nice natural soundstage and nice open sound doesn't need crossfeed. It's the lesser sounding amps that need the crossfeed crutch.

Anyone using computer as source can do crossfeed on the computer before sending the signal to the DAC. There are various VST plugins that do crossfeed. The VST plugins are able to do more in terms of customizing and configuring the crossfeed sound than you'll get with most any crossfeed implemented on an amp. Doing it with a VST plugin is far more configurable and customizable. So if you want crossfeed with the Oppo that is how you'd do it.

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You gotta be kidding me. That's a headphone amplifier? Don't turn that thing up too loud with cans on your head!

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Thanks, I was not familiar with crossfeed, as I'm relatively new to the enthusiasts' headphone world.

Well, there is a high/low gain setting on the back ;)
    Actually, you'd be surprised at just how many people want to use this as a stereo preamp. It has 2 analog inputs, 4 digital inputs, USB input for a mobile device, as well as Bluetooth. Could probably fit the stereo pre-amp needs of 80%+ of the enthusiasts out there.

Larry Johnson likes this.
  4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Ok, that's all the inputs. Does it have a pre-out?

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, noted on the Oppo page referenced in the first post.

6. SamS

Yes, a set of single ended, and balanced outs.

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Oppo sure knows what the audiophile wants!

8. SamS

9. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Nice! That looks good.

The about.com article also previewed the PM-1 headphones. Gave a projected price for the headphones of $1000 - $1200. Described the sound as flat, uncolored and spacious. That's what I want in a headphone. Oppos headphone and DAC offerings are looking really really good.

11. SamS

12. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

13. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I think that front display, with it's spectrum analyzer and VU meters, is kind of an appeal to the audio buyer's primitive instincts. This worked great with car stereos in the 1990s.

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I agree that the display, able to switch between the spectrum analyzer mode or the VU meter mode, will win some hearts, but it's too much of a gimmick for me.

It appears to have some solid engineering though and I look forward to reading the test results when someone like John Atkinson puts it on the bench. Could be a bit too expensive to be a huge seller.

15. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Can't wait till this and the planer headphones come out. These I WANT to review.

16. SamS

What if the display showed a "simple informational summary" or could be turned off completely?

Give the measured performance of past/recent OPPO players, I'm sure measurements will get quite a bit of attention from both the press, and enthusiasts :)

[​IMG]

Personally, I kind of dig the Spectrum display. Makes me nostalgic for the nicer Sony receivers from the late '80s, i.e. STR-AV1070X

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I am sure you have company on that.

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'd be surprised if it's over $1,500 - I look forward to reviews of this and their headphones, I'm itching for a new flavour.

Metralla likes this.
  19. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Looks like it's coming shortly. Oppo is running a full page ad in this month's Stereophile.

HA-1.jpg

20. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Sign me up for the hype train. If I ever had some reasonable money to throw at a goodish system I'd love to have something like this sitting in front of something like a Jolida JD502.

21. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

This is now available to purchase for those who registered in advance. Seems they start shipping today...

22. SamS

Cool.

Should be $1099?

I have been enjoying a beta unit for several months now. I think you guys will like this one :)

23. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

24. SamS

25. SamS

Some interesting/unique things about the HA-1:

• Front USB input is Apple-approved to extract digital data straight off iPhone/iPad/iPod
    • Trigger input and output.
    • Home Theater By-pass, configurable for each input
    • DSD256 support
    Not and official "feature", but IMO, the HA-1 is the best-built OPPO has ever released. It's spec'd at 13lbs, but feels more substantial than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.