Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I emailed Oppo the log file and their Technicians are looking it over to see if they can diagnose what is causing the audio pause.

Cliff likes this.
  2. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Well-Known Member

I had a question for those who have downloaded the PC software. I use Jriver MC and the only playback options I see are Kernel Streaming, direct sound and WASAPI; there is no ASIO. I do have a Oppo USB audio 2.0 ASIO option, but I believe this my Oppo HA-1 and I have some issues when using that option. Is there no ASIO option for the 205? I am using Windows 7 and listen to DSD and FLAC files.

3. art

art Senior Member

I will say the 205 sounds exquisrite on SACD. Best I've heard.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Interesting. Better than your Esoteric?

BigGame and FashionBoy like this.
  5. art

art Senior Member

Yes.

RubenH, SamS and FashionBoy like this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

How about CD?

7. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Wow. This surprises me. I assume you're using the analog outs?

8. art

art Senior Member

yeah ... it's deeper.... hard to believe.

9. art

art Senior Member

Jury's still out on that one. ..

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I compared the K-05 to the 105 with the modwright mod and the SACD was better on the esoteric but not by much. With CD the Esoteric was much better. My Esoteric had me rethink the my opinion of cd playback. It is truly remarkable.

audiomixer likes this.
  11. art

art Senior Member

agreed. The 205 is sweet though. Shockingly so, especially sacd.

12. shucky ducky

shucky ducky Forum Resident

I was watchin an audio advisor YouTube video and heard the guy pronounce it as Ooh-PO and then later in the same video refer to it as Awhh-Po and it got me wondering how to properly pronounce the word. lol not really important but it makes me wonder...

13. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

From .......Unofficial OPPO BDP-83 Frequently Asked Questions

How do I pronounce OPPO?

"The consensus of informed opinion is "OH no, OH Poe!"
    The people at OPPO don't seem to care how you pronounce it.

Being an Aussie ...........I am happy with OP....erational / PO....tential....................all good mate!!!!!!:laugh:

shucky ducky likes this.
  14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I installed the 205 Saturday, I mostly use it for surround playback with the front feeding the preamp and the back directly into the rear power amp using the variable output to control levels. The 205 is nice improvement sonically over the previous model. It has better speed and offers quieter backgrounds.

Guss2 likes this.
  15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Which previous model? Do you mean the 105? Also, what do you mean by "quieter backgrounds"? Are you talking video, or audio? And if audio, are you saying that you could actually hear the noise-floor on your 105, or are you saying something else?

SteelyNJ and Litejazz53 like this.
  16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

What will be more interesting is you still feel the same way in a few months time! I sometimes feel a new piece of hi fi sounds better when in actual fact it's just different (and I like the change). The litmus test for me is 6 to 12 months later, when I load a disc, which player do I use more often. To my frustration it has often been my older player!

art likes this.
  17. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

105, I'm only using it for audio, backgound is quieter.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  18. Got notification that mine is en route from ModWright and should be here in a few days. Can't wait. Been anticipating this one for so long.......

Finally going to have a true high-end CD/Universal player in my house! Woo Hoo!

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Hopefully in a day or two I'll be doing a direct comparison of the 105D and the 205. I can connect both to my Emotiva XMC-1 using RCA cables to two different analog inputs. I have double copies of several CDs and SACDs so it'll be a real simple process to compare the two. Just switch analog inputs back and forth on the XMC-1. The 205 will have to have noticeably better SQ for me to keep it. I'm just not happy with the relay clicking with SACDs and the audio pause when set to DSD.

TarnishedEars, Linger63 and Blair G. like this.
  20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Look forward to reading your comparison impressions

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I was thinking of getting a 205 to replace my 105, but there just doesn't seem to be enough 4k to justify. I bought a Philips UHD player for now. I'll have to see if the content justifies dropping another grand atcsome point. The Philips seems adequate, I am just enjoying what the new LG OLED can deliver. It is truly amazing.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Firmware updates can fix many 'a things ;)

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

True. But a FW update will most likely not correct the relay clicking issue. I haven't heard back from Oppo as far as their progress isolating what is causing the audio delay. The bottom line is that if the SQ of the 205 is not noticeably better than the 105D I'll return it to Crutchfield.

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You might be surprised ;) Can you verify you're using UDP20X-42-0329?

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Well alright :). I updated the FW right away so I believe UDP20X-42-0329 is loaded in the 205.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.