Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

As would any other source, since you would be using the DAC of your receiver.

2. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Quite frankly the 6500 is too small ,found MR version impossible to set up ,so returned it to Amazon

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Have you noticed that this is an Oppo thread? Quite frankly I doubt anyone in this thread is interested in your experiences with Sony players. Why don't you start a thread on the Sony players you own then I can post non stop in it how I can't stand Sony players ;).

Gooner, bluemooze, tmtomh and 8 others like this.
  4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Does this one have HDCD decoding? I know that the UDP-203 doesn't but it is something I need.

vegafleet likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have a feeling the 205 will not have HDCD decoding. But that is just a guess and maybe Oppo will add it to the 205 to differentiate it from the 203.

therockman likes this.
  6. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

HDCD decoding is handled by the Mediatek chip on the 103/5, and the chip is the same in both models. The chip is also the same in the 203/5, so if the 203 doesn't do HDCD, neither will the 205.

tmtomh, scobb and Bill Mac like this.
  7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It might also be worth keeping in mind that if you already have a good transport, there is a more affordable Sonica DAC option too coming in January.

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Regarding my post #11, I meant that I COULDN'T CARE LESS! My apologies as I learnt my English from Monty Python ...

Monty Python - Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook ยป

scobb, Bill Mac, Pancat and 1 other person like this.
  9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I am sure you know who High Fidelity is, don't you? I reckon it's our good mate Disbeliever from Audio Asylum. He was a disruption there, and has not improved his bedside manner. Why do I say this?

"I found the Oppo 103 has inferior SQ & PQ compared to far cheaper Sony BD player 1000ES however this was using Sony DA5400ES AVR UK version which includes HATS."

"Hi Kal, I have just re read your review and note you say the Sony digital sound is competitive with the Oppo 103 which is disappointing because I bought a 103 and found the BD sound so poor especially HF compared with my Sony BDP-1000ES player that I got a refund. However I am going to buy the Sony UHP-H1 a modded multi-region one."

"IMO Oppo is very overated. I had non stop problems with an earlier model which Oppo Support could not fix. Due to rave reviews I tried the Oppo 103 via HDMI into a Sony AVR DA5400ES (UK version) and found the BD sound inferior to my Sony BDP1000ES/760, I also prefer Sony's more natural picture, took the Oppo back for a refund."

"Sony AVR,s have vastly improved starting from 6 years ago with the STR-DA5400ES I use the pre-out into my current stereo amplifier to power front speakers, the AVR powers centre & rear speakers,nothing I know of beats Sony processing for mch sound , blue-ray & for sheer value.. Quite frankly I find Sony BD superior to over pricedOppo for both video & sound. I also use the Sony XA5400ES for mch SACD & CD, Sony BDP-1000ES for Blu-Ray."

bluemooze, tmtomh, Bill Mac and 2 others like this.
  10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, the 105 looks so much larger from the front. It must be the design difference. The 205 looks absolutely massive.

11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

The 203/205 will not decode HDCD. Mediatek no longer supports it in the new chip. Oppo recommends letting your receiver/processor decode it.

tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  12. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Right, which does no good for those of us who use analog player outputs (especially those like me, who have no other exploitable DACs in their system), a major thrust of the (X)X5-series players.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Makes me feel better about my 105D Modwright unit. I am happy to have a HDCD decoder.

vegafleet and tmtomh like this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hmmm, the 105 is sounding better and better..

tmtomh likes this.
  15. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Well-Known Member

My plan was to run the udp-205 through my Oppo HA-1 via the XLR connection; mainly to play SACD and HDCDs. Is the the HA-1 able to decode HDCD? The lack of HDCD support was an issue for me when considering the 205.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No HDCD decoding in the HA-1.

tmtomh and JediJoker like this.
  17. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Courtesy of Testikoff..........

"You can always bit-perfectly rip your HDCD-encoded discs to a lossless format of your choice: WAV, FLAC, ALAC, etc.
    I use Exact Audio Copy for ripping all CDs to FLAC myself.
    Then in Windows you may use good old HDCD.exe program (only works with WAV source) or foobar2000's HDCD plug-in (will likely work with any lossless source) to verify & decode HDCD-encoded 16/44 audio to padded 24/44 PCM & then store it in WAV, FLAC, ALAC, etc. form.

There is an opinion that only HDCDs encoded with Peak Extend (PE) and/or Low Level Resolution Expansion (LLRE) features (a rather small fraction of all HDCD releases) truly require HDCD decoding.
    LLRE/PE-encoded HDCD material in its decoded form has substantially better resolution in quiet passages/fadeouts & superior dynamic range compared to non-decoded HDCD one".

vegafleet, superstar19 and LeeS like this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Way too messed up and vague for me to bother with. I'd rather throw my HDCD's in the trash.

gd0 likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I might have a number of HDCDs in my collection but can't recall which ones they are. HDCD audio is active in both Oppo players but can't honestly recall seeing the HDCD icon showing on either display. So not really a feature that I'll miss if I buy one of the new Oppo players. But can see how those with a large collection of HDCDs are not happy about the Oppo 203 and 205 not having HDCD decoding.

I just did a Google on HDCD and was surprised to see the acronym stands for "High Definition Compatible Digital". I always assumed it was "High Definition Compact Disc". Learn something new every day :).

20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

LOL............don't do that!!!..........send them to me......:wave:.......'tis the Season of giving....:laugh:

I reckon you can squeeze a few more years out of that Modwright 105 of yours anyway...:righton:

JediJoker and Bill Mac like this.
  21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have both a 105 and a Esoteric K-01x, while the 105 is excellent, it is far from the Esoteric for audio. I will be ordering a 205 as soon as it's available, for my surround system there are no other products that compare to the Oppo for analog surround output.

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The other capability that the 103/103D and 105/105D have is the ability to rip SACDs. Doubt the 203 and 205 will have that capability. I'm holding onto either the 103 or the 105D. Might get the 203 when it's been out for awhile and keep the 105D. Or maybe I'll keep both and have three Oppo players, overkill for sure :help:!

Steel Horse likes this.
  23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Overkill starts at 5+ players ;)

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's good to know, I feel better now ;).

Robert van Diggele likes this.
  25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Not if you have 5 different systems in 5 different rooms: audio room, lounge, office, bedroom, garage. Not me, of course - but if I had that many rooms I would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.