Original Discwasher Brush Smells of Mildew

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pavol Stromcek, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently came by one of the old-school Discwasher kits with a full bottle of fluid and a black brush that's in pristine condition, except that I discovered the brush has a mildewy odor.

Now, I know the little instruction booklet says quite clearly not to wash this thing. But since I'm obviously not going to let a mildewy brush come in contact with my records, and since I wasn't able to return this thing (which didn't cost that much anyway), I thought, "screw it," and set about trying to eliminate the mildew odor anyhow.

I scrubbed it with an unused toothbrush using a mixture of distilled water and white vinegar (which is excellent at removing mildew from clothing), rinsed it thoroughly, then went over it with distilled water and some isopropyl alcohol, rinsed it again (to really make sure I'd removed the vinegar), squeezed as much water as I could out of it, and let it dry all day outside in warm, direct sunlight.

And the mildew odor is still there.

I thought about washing it again with a mix of white vinegar and a tiny amount of gentle laundry detergent, maybe even letting it soak for a while. But then I thought, am I wasting my time and should I just toss this thing?

Edit: Actually, my wife just said it at least smells better. So maybe I will eliminate it eventually...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've had mine for 40 years, and it has no smell. :shrug:

3. Pavol Stromcek

You've obviously taken care of yours, or at least not left it in some damp, dank place for some extended period of time.

Myke likes this.
  4. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Spray it with fabreze.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Keep it in it's box when not in use. Bought it when I bought my components in Spring, 1978. Still have my Jensens too.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

What the hell....put it in the dishwasher. Top shelf.

7. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Rinse it with water and a tiny bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid then let it dry.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

It has little/no use these days....put it on display!!!!

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No record brush is worth this much hassle. Seriously.

10. Slick Willie

Especially outdated tech....carbon fiber is better suited to the task, IMO.

Tullman likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Awhile back a friend gifted me a Gruv Glide kit. Better than any brush I've tried. I don't use it on ever record either, just for a little surface dusting in between RCM cleanings. People going to great lengths to use a brush as primary cleaning are misguided, IMHO.

12. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If you're ever in the SD area, I can give you instruction on how to use a Discwasher as a pre-play prep.

Works great. I can show you - if you want. Contrary to the blah blah blah.

Cold beer and good music free of charge.

showtaper and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  13. Slick Willie

True, it's a before play thang. The Discwasher, when liquid is applied, does help with static. But then so does the carbon brush, only with mo' gentility.

14. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I'm not sure about scrubbing it that way with a toothbrush. You could have hurt its bristles and the pile, which was known to work very well.
    I would have just sprayed it with vinegar. If that didn't or doesn't work, saturate it, soak it, with vinegar and let it dry out. If there is mildew it may be inside, in the foam. It may still be there ready to grow out again.
    I have never had to do this, my original discwasher purchased new is still good, although the original fluid is long gone.

15. Pavol Stromcek

Well, since the thing comes with the small, stiff-bristled brush that you use to remove any dust or debris from the big brush (by brushing up and down the length of it), I didn't think doing a similar brushing motion with a toothbrush would be that much different. But I'm kinda doing all this fully aware that any of these things could potentially damage the brush's micro bristles. This brush is pristine, though; it looks like it's never been used, so it can probably take a little bit of abuse.

At any rate, I think just soaking it in vinegar like you suggest is probably a good idea and that's what I'll try next.

If only the Discwasher brushes made today weren't just crap made from corduroy, this wouldn't even be an issue.

16. Pavol Stromcek

I know what you mean, but I have used these in the past (a roommate from years ago had one), and they're honestly quite effective at cleaning moderately dusty LPs.

showtaper likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

No argument there. My point is that may now be better.

18. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I never brushed up and down the length of my Discwasher brush with the cleaning bristle brush. I only used it from the back edge to the leading edge so it would not break the micro bristles.

19. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

The best thing about the original Discwasher D4 brush is that is is great to use with a RCM. I bought mine boxed, in excellent condition (though the liquid had long gone), for £10: far cheaper than a replacement brush from any of the RCM suppliers. By all accounts the newer version of the D4 is inferior, but I haven't tried one.

I never used it with the original liquid: I have no idea how effective it would have been. However, my RCM/D4/L'Art du Son combo is my cleaning regime of choice.

20. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Another SHF member told me about Groovewasher, which is a successor to the original Discwasher company. I purchased their fluid and use it with an old DW brush. Very satisfied.

21. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The part about drying it in the sun made me smile. Today's high for SF: 70 degrees. :winkgrin:

22. Pavol Stromcek

The instructions in the manual it came with say to brush up and down the length of the brush, and/or in the direction of the arrow.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    qwerty likes this.
  23. Pavol Stromcek

And that's on the warm side for SF! Here in Oakland, where I am, it got up to 80.

24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Seal it up in a box and put some baking soda in a little tray in there. Leave it for a few days.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.