Original "green arrow" cd's from West Germany on Mercury

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Also, am I right in describing it as red swirl? The red is a swirl pattern in the inner ring. A red "fan pattern" from 9 o'clock- to around 1 and then a bit of red behind the words DIGITAL RECORDING at 3 Is there a better way to describe? I can email a pic if it helps.

2. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

I understand you are talking about the disc with "red stripes" graphics so-called "Red Swirl"? I would argue these and "Green Arrow" are from the same time, probably from 1983.

Example of Philips "Red Swirl" CD from 1983,

[​IMG]

3. mindblanking

Yes, thanks... That's it. Btw, how did you post the photo. I thought that function was down.

4. rudiger

rudiger Well-Known Member

This should be the correct timing of the Philips West Germany releases

[​IMG]

1st: blue arrow
    2nd: red swirl/fan: this version can be found with or without "By Polygram" at 6 o'clock
    3rd: blue "C"

(you are still allowed to attach pics from external sites: you have to click the "image" button and then add the URL of the pic)

Dan Steely likes this.
  5. mindblanking

Thanks... So safe to say this is the earliest cd I now own. I wonder what the very first jazz cd issue might've been. Anyone know?

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's interesting that they never spelled Tunisia correctly. The disc on the right is not particularly early by virtue of the thin plastic ring at the center.

7. mindblanking

Two questions for you Keith... 1) Do you think my version is as rare as the blue version? 2) Any idea what the very first jazz cd release might've been? That's something that would be cool to own. Thanks!

Sebastich likes this.
  8. rudiger

rudiger Well-Known Member

:tiphat:

I haven't found a picture of the "blue C" with full aluminum hub, but it should exist

9. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

It does. I have one. Around the center hole, on the reverse, is etched MADE IN W. GERMANY BY PDO. Chances are, yours says MADE IN GERMANY or something similar.

10. KeithH

I don't know if your copy is as rare as the blue-arrow version, but it is pretty rare. As far as I know, your version, like the blue-arrow, only exists as a Polygram pressing (i.e., no later PDO pressing).

As a side note, and it may have been mentioned somewhere in this thread already, two variations of the blue-arrow version of Night in Tunisia exist in terms of the shade of blue on the disc. One version is navy, and the other is more of a medium blue. My copy is navy. I can't say for sure, but the copy that rudiger posted above looks like the medium-blue version.

11. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

It does exists.

[​IMG]

12. KeithH

What is the matrix code?

13. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

I don't know the matrix code, but I would expect is the same as "green arrow" and "red swirl". If you really need to know the matrix code ask the seller.

14. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

I have found a quite interesting review about "Friday Night in San Francisco". This is from Nov-1983, so It maybe "Green Arrow" CD or later issue.

rudiger likes this.
  15. KeithH

I thought it was your disc. That's O.K. I don't really need to know. ;)

16. KeithH

That is interesting. From November 1983, it could be the original blue-arrow pressing or a later red-waves pressing with the same mastering.

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

18. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

19. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

There are 20 green arrow CDs.
    What about the Blue Arrow CDs? How many and is there a list?

20. cakeface

cakeface Forum Resident

Is there a final list of the green arrow titles?

21. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

check post#39 (#37 and #39)

cakeface likes this.
  22. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The only Green arrow that I can't find a picture of on the web is Dexy's Midnight Runners Too-Rye-Ay.

23. KeithH

24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It might have been in better condition according to the description. Not mint, but better than a cat toy. I think the seller is just trying to protect themselves from returns (you can just about return anything).

25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351401890165?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    That uniform circular area of "pin-holes" around the hub suggests there was a sticker around the hub for an enormous period of time that was eventually removed.
    I wouldn't pay $10 for any disc in that condition let alone $600.

Dave S likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.