Orrin Keepnews, Riverside Records Jazz Producer and Milestone Record Executive, Is Dead at 91

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

He was 91. Knew him well, an interesting guy and legendary RIVERSIDE RECORDS jazz producer/A&R Man..

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/arts/music/orrin-keepnews-jazz-producer-and-record-executive-is-dead-at-91.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

From Andy Schwartz: "Re: Person I Knew" is the title song of a posthumously released album by pianist Bill Evans, comprised of tracks recorded live at The Village Vanguard in January 1974. The title of Evans' composition is an anagram formed from the name of his friend and producer, ORRIN KEEPNEWS, who died today (3/1/2015) at his home in El Cerrito, California at age 91."

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Sorry to read this. He produced many great records and his liner notes and stories did a lot to educate me about jazz.

Campbell Saddler and Erik B. like this.
  3. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Wow, what a career.

And this is so cool: "...Because the original masters for most Paramount recordings proved impossible to locate, some of Riverside’s early output was mastered to magnetic tape from 78 r.p.m. discs borrowed from the collection of the record producer John Hammond."

R.I.P., Mr. Keepnews

4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

A true pioneer and by all accounts a class act. They don't make them like that any more. Rest in peace.

5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

6. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Sad news, but a life very well lived. Produced some of the best jazz albums ever by Monk, Evans, Rollins et al. RIP

Erik B. likes this.
  7. A curmudgeon of the old school, I liked him. He had the good taste to sign Monk and help popularise him when his career was in the doldrums, although Monk felt he was being ripped off by the label later on and left under a cloud -tales of 'creative accounting' surfaced but Bob Grauer apparently was the culprit. Whatever, Keepnews has justly earned his place in the annals of recorded music. RIP.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  8. littleugly

littleugly Well-Known Member

Truly a life well lived and I'll forever be indebted for his involvement and participation in getting me and my musical tastes released from the death like grip of Classic Rock.

Erik B. and Tommyboy like this.
  9. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Orrin was a very interesting E-mail friend. I will miss his wit. I was able to get him here back in 2005 and a few of us got to ask him some questions before he forgot his login. :)

RIP Orrin.

10. Zach Jirarat

Zach Jirarat Member

Sorry to hear this sad news not just for the jazz world but the whole music world as well.
    I'd just bought The Incredible Wes Montgomery in the Orrin Keepnews series two days ago, will listen to this album tonight to honor this jazz giant.

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

R.I.P. I own and enjoy a few Riverside recordings, especially Full House by Wes Montgomery.

bradman likes this.
  12. One of my favourite Evans compositions, his version on Consecration from the final Keystone Korner sessions is gorgeous.

13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

RIP. Yes his name is on some of my finest jazz LPs too.

14. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

RIP. I've been enjoying my recent pickup of the Complete Riverside recordings of Wes Montgomery. A life well lived!

BradOlson likes this.
  15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

RIP Orrin, you will always be viewed as a revolutionary in jazz music.

16. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Just as I've recently gotten into some Cannonball Adderley cds he was associated with.

I'm saddened to hear of his passing.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

RIP.... thank for all the great records.

BradOlson likes this.
  18. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

I hope I live to be 91 still enjoying music and spinning vinyl, what a great long life in music Mr. Keepnews had.

And in the SF Bay Area too.

My mom's 90 and still lives there too...

19. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

RIP Orrin! A giant in the history of jazz, indeed.

20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Keepnews was misnamed. He should be Keepjazz, because that's what he did.
    A glass raised to a great long life. RIP

action pact likes this.
  21. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

He wrote a memoir quite a few years ago. Probably hard to find, but a wonderful read.

22. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I love his work. May he rest in peace.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Very sad news but a long life. RIP

24. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Some musical careers seem almost impossible in their scope and influence. This is one.

25. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

I spent the weekend listening almost exclusively to my just received batch of Riverside (Concord) reissues (Monk's Music / Monk & John Coltrane / Waltz For Debby...)
    Then I read the updated liner notes, they were signed Orrin Keepnews: that's when I realized that he was probably still alive.

Magnus A. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.