Ortofon 2M Black or Goldring 1042?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SergioRZ, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I need to choose a very good MM cartridge... I'd like to have a balanced sound, with controlled low end and smooth top end (don't we all? hehehehe). My budget is under 500 USD for this. The turntable will be a Rega P3/24 with TT PSU and RB301 arm.

I've been steered towards these two options, some people claim these are among the very best MM carts available:

Ortofon 2M Black
    Goldring 1042

Do you guys have any experience comparing these two carts? What differences should I expect? The Ortofon is over the limit of my budget (I can get it for aroun 540 USD) but I can still make it I guess... is it worth it?

The Goldring should cost me around 375 USD, which is well within my budget.

What do you guys think? Any other carts I should consider? Why?

Thanks! :)

2. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

Have you considered the wonderful Denon 110/160s?

Out of the ones you'd mention I'd go for the 1042, but you should also
    look at high output Moving Coils, maybe a 10X5, but spending any more would not be
    that beneficial until you upgraded the turntable.

3. Keez

Keez New Member

It's a difficult question but I would go with the Ortofon or Denon I guess.

Regards

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How much can you get the Ortofon 2M Black for? It lists for $669 in the US now. Another option is to get the 2M Bronze and then upgrade the stylus later to the 2M Black. I think that's what I'm going to do myself next year.

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I've personally known a couple of Goldrings (1012, 1042's little little brother) with really weak styli, like they both had the diamond pop right off the cantilever under normal use and cleaning. Don't know if it was dependent on that model, or a bad batch, or QC dumped them to Roy Hall for cheap (these were both stock carts on Music Hall mmf-5's) but at $225 for a replacement stylus (vs. $100 for an AT 440MLa) I didn't want to gamble.

Sounded nice for the year I ran it though.

6. SergioRZ

In my country I can get it for 393 Euro, around 540 USD :righton:

I wonder if it is much better than the Goldring which I can get for around 280 Euros here.

7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Why not go for an Audio-Technica AT150MLX? At $349 many of us feel it's the best MM on the market.

8. Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy Forum Resident

NeedleDoctor shows the replacement stylus alone for the Black is $499. I'm sure it can be had for a bit less but it doesn't look like going that route is much cheaper.

9. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I am waiting on a Bronze but what I have heard is that the Black is being praised as the best MM cart ever built...

Again...I was considering the AT but didn't really like it as much as the Ortofon...remember it's your taste!

I am waiting patiently for mine...should be in my paws tomorrow!

10. Brian@NeedleDr

Brian@NeedleDr New Member

Though the Goldring and Ortofon are generally similar in their flavor, there are some distinct differences that will probably help in choosing one over the other. If you value definition, especially in the high frequencies, the Goldring will probably treat you better. The Ortofon is stark in it's balance and has a nice amount of warmth, considering the amount of detail pulled from the grooves.

Heckto35 likes this.
  11. pharmboycu

pharmboycu Forum Resident

I'll second that. I like it so much I bought an extra replacement stylus so that if/when they stop production I'll have an extra one.

12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Of course, these sorts of "best in the world" statements are always a matter of taste, and of marketing. My turntable dealer told me he felt the 2M Black was the best MM in the world, but the way he stated it sounded like he was more repeating a marketing mantra than actually stating a belief based on experience. Six months before that, he told me he thought the Dynavector 10x5 was the best cartridge under $1000 in his view. Of course he has a vested interest as he sells the Dynas and Ortofons. He doesn't sell Denons or ATs so guess what, ranked all Denons as "stiff" and he wouldn't even comment on ATs.

13. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I hear ya Stefan...
    What I am trying to do is maintain the level of performance that a V15 Type VxMR gave me...and really I didn't hear it with the AT. It was great...but it wasn't to my taste as much....I loved the Dynavector, but hey, I am lame and don't feel like replacing my cart every time the stylus wears down...I like to stockpile stylus'....

And I do agree about this "best in the world" comment of yours...heck...this entire industry is based around them!!! Nonetheless...the 2M series has only been out for less than a year so I'm sure that people are just reacting to their initial impression of them...

I'll post either way how I feel about the Bronze at some time...(or it'll show up on the Classifieds!)

14. SergioRZ

After listening to samples from this page, I think the Ortofon 2M Black is the one to have :righton:

The 1042 does sound a bit confused when the music gets going, and also rolled off on the top end...

The 2M Black sounds so polished and neutral, great pose even under stress :)

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/daveyw/cartridges/mc-cartridges/

15. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Go for the Ortofon.

Heckto35 likes this.
  16. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

most definitely. Remember the black has a Shibata stylus ! So it is not easily possible to stick a cart like that in the body of a Bronze - you can do that with the red + blue, thou and I doubt the few bucks saved that way will matter in the end, the Black is more stylish, too.

Just because many people here like the AT 150 doesn`t make it `the best cart in the world in that budget for everybody`- it`s good, no doubt ! Others are good too - I am very pleased with the Blue Point Special for example and both cost about the same, but are very different in built, looks and performance..If i opted for an AT it would be the OC 09 MKII anyway, that is just a few bucks higher priced than the 150 or another killer the Denon 103 SA...

WildRumpus likes this.
  17. motorcitydave

Have you heard the 150?

18. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

No one's denying that there are several good choices. However, the OP specified MM (the AT OC 09 is MC) and under $500, which rules out the 2M Black.

19. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

The 150 is a MM ? I doubt that high output MC ain't it...

Yep, I heard the 150 and like it a lot ! Cool sound...great for Rock music ! Still I prefer the more audiophile and lovely sound of the O9 a tad more ... nuances maybe..but i do listen to a lot of electronic music and believe it or not - these records are often more related to Jazz and both the O9 and the Blue Point cater more for Jazz and Classic Music (as well as being nice for Rock , too)..

confused - didn't he ask special for the M2 black - now you say that this is ruled out ... as are all MC carts ? I didn't read that neither... and that I prefer the 09 dosn't mean that I want him to buy that cart....

Anyway - whatever he wants he can buy - it's a free country...

20. SergioRZ

I might try to stretch the budget a little to get the Ortofon 2M Black, which costs around $540 USD here in Portugal :righton:

Is the audio-technica AT150MLX still being produced? It's not easy to find this for sale...

21. spyderx

spyderx New Member

I have the 2m Black on my Rega with about 200 hours on it. It really is excellent. I'd suggest the Black.

22. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Last time I checked it was. I bought mine last summer and there was no talk then of a shortage. It was only $250 here then whereas a 2M Black was going for well over double that last time I checked.

23. motorcitydave

Ok, that's cool. Correct, it is great for rock music.

24. SergioRZ

I can see you have the same turntable that I have (well, not yet, I'm waiting for the factory to deliver it to my local dealer), P3/24 with TT PSU.

Did you use a spacer to fit the 2M Black onto the RB301 arm? Maybe a 2mm spacer? Are there any special recommendations regarding the fitting of this cart on the RB301?

Thanks! :righton:

25. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake Member

I've been thinking of getting an Ortofon 2M Black myself. I like my AT150, but those clips on the site you linked sound really, really good. The Denon DL-160 is decent, better than the Goldring 1012 that was stock on my MMF-5, but the AT tracks a little better and is smoother on top (with the right loading).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.