Ortofon 2M Red vs The rest of the 2M range .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello There

I use an Ortofon 2M Red on my Gyrodec with Rega RB300 Arm with Tecnoweight & a Martin Bastin AC Power Supply. The sound is excellent & I am astounded by the value & it's even handed treatment to all types & condition of vinyl.

I first bought one in 2012 & I replaced the stylus in May 2014. I kept the old stylus just in case to play a few records that are not in great condition (I only have a few in that way out of 2000) & use the new stylus for everything else. I use a magic eraser to clean underneath before I play a record & carbon brush to clean the LP.

I have used in the past Audio Technica OC9, OC5 , Sumiko BPS, Denon DL304. I really liked the Denon but it's low output , delicate operation & expensive replacement price put me off. The Ortofon is nearly there & sounds fat.

I would like any opinions if others that have actually have used beyond the 2M red in he 2M range or perhaps they are impressed by something else?

Expensive Moving Coils are nice but I am not in the financial position to use one or have the fear due to extremely thin cater liver operation .

Vinyl can be a pain but when done properly can sound amazing .

Thanks

2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

When I started with vinyl I had the 2M red and then upgraded to the 2M blue (you can just buy the stylus replacement, the body is the same). The 2M blue is pretty similar tonally, but tracks much better, which means less distortion in the inner grooves.

GetHappy!! likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.