Ortofon Super OM 20 vs Ortofon 2M Blue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Yost, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not” Thread Starter

I’m looking for a new cart for my Thorens TD-320 turntable with TP-16 MkII (7.5 gram) tone arm. Currently narrowed it down to an Ortofon Super OM 20, or an Ortofon 2M Blue.

I read that both have the same basic character and are a good match to my tone arm. The Super OM is reported to be less bright than the Blue, and it has slightly higher compliance. It is also slightly cheaper, but I would receive a New Old Stock version (it was discontinued some years ago).

Would the Super OM 20 still be a good investment, nowadays? Will it still be in good condition, being stocked this long? Or am I bettter of buying a 2M? Or should I step up to a Super OM 30, given the fact that it’s much cheaper than a 2M Bronze?

Super OM 20 = €180
    2M Blue = €210 (I need the “verso”)
    Super OM 30 = €260

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Light tone arm should have compatible cartridge compliance. The OM30 fits well to your tone arm and is undeniably good.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Get the Super OM 20, don't look back.

Telemark, Shak Cohen and Yost like this.
  4. Yost

Bump.

5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It is my understanding they are they equivalent.
    Ex OM30 is equivalent to a Bronze. I'd skip the blue use go for the OM30 - the sweetspot of the line up.

Similar thread- may be helpful:

Upgrade time! 2M Black or OM40?

I have the OM30 on a Concorde - absolutely love it.

6. irender

irender Forum Resident

OM 30. I use one myself.

Yost and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

For the relatively small difference in price, the Super OM 30 is going to be a big step up from the OM20 or the Blue.

I like the Blue and recommend it vastly over the Red.

But, when you get into the Bronze or Black, you are in a completely different class.

I believe that you can even buy a OM40 stylus for your body and that has a Fritz Geiger stylus, that would be a nice future step up.

Telemark, Yost and rebellovw like this.
  8. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

It's not just a stylus change with the 2m series. The 2m red and blue use the same magnet structure, while the 2m bronze and black use a different magnet in the body.
    I'm pretty sure the OM 20-40 were different stylus on the same magnet.
    I don't know if any of this matters. I suppose it's all about balancing your system to get the best sound for your investment.
    I have my 2m blue w/ Schiit Mani phono and Thorens TD230 sounding better than CDs in my system.

SandAndGlass and Yost like this.
  9. Yost

Given the various price/performance ratios I ordered an Ortofon Super OM 30 at Thakker.eu. They claim to still ship new stock of the Super OM series.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    SandAndGlass and warp2600 like this.
  10. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Either the 20 or 30 will easily surpass the Blue. The 20 is a bit more rounded and ''sweeter", whilst the 30 has more "bite" and "attack". Depends what you're looking for...whatever you do, ensure you're tracking accurately with overhang, alignment, spirit level and scale gauge tested before you're playing records with these. It makes a big difference.

Yost likes this.
  11. Yost

Everybody seems to define the differences differently. Until now it was mostly described as the other way round: the 30 as sweeter than the 20. I’m hoping that the 30 gives me a bit “more of everything” while also lasting 1.5 - 2x as long as the 20. So the additional cost is completely justified. I’m aware that correct set-up is needed. Not only for the best sound, but also to prevent it from eating my vinyl.

I liked this OM30 YouTube clip in which Pink Floyd sounds more or less the same as my early Made in Japan blackface Harvest CD:

bluecase and Shak Cohen like this.
  12. Yost

What I understood from all the forums and posts I read is that the 2M Red and Blue are technically a lot like the original OM10 and OM20, and that the 2M Bronze and Black are lot like the (updated) Super OM30 and Super OM40.

So what’s special in the Super OM series, is that you can buy/create a Super OM10, which is a lot like a 2M Red stylus on a 2M Bronze/Black body. And you can create a Super OM20, which is a lot like a 2M Blue stylus on a 2M Bronze/Black body.

Of course the 2M series has higher output levels and lower dynamic compliance than the (Super) OM series. But I guess both series have more or less the same Ortofon “family sound”.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Yost

I had a Dual 1225 with DMS200 cartridge a Gino Vannelli’s Powerful People vinyl sounded slightly less than my early CD. With my Thorens and the Denon DL160 the vinyl sounded marginally better.

Really looking forward to hearing what the Super OM30 will bring me. (And of course I’m hoping it will be as good as the DL160 :hide: )

14. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

What amp and speakers is your turntable going through btw?

15. Yost

Arcam Alpha 10 and 10P, biamping Jean Marie Reynaud Millesime 4 speakers. It’s in my profile.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  16. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Hi .... did your OM30 arrive? I'm thinking of buying one and in interested on how you think it sounds

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Hmm, I have the 2M Blue on my Dual 1229 and I love it!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Yost

Yes it arrived, but it took me some time to find the right m2 bolts to mount it.

Without any break-in it’s sounding nice already. Basically Gino Vannelli’s Powerful People is sounding the same as the CD (this is my reference test, because the LP and CD are very close). Which means I’ve lost a little bass/warmth in comparison to the Denon DL160. Which is not a bad thing, because I’m mainly playing modern day records which are mastered very “full” anyway. Jamiroquai’s Automaton sounds slammin’, for example.

I’ve only played fairly modern albums with it, and the cartridge sounds very balanced and controlled. No fuzz at all, very relaxed, just music. I found myself enjoying the music, and no longer trying to listen “how good” the cart sounded.

Still, the DL160 sounded a bit more vinyl-like, somehow. It’s hard to choose, certainly without A/B comparison. So YMMV.

ranch 22b and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Thanks for the review. Just curious, so what will you do, switch off between the DL160 and the OM30?

20. Yost

I never owned multiple turntables and/or cartridges at the same time. And I don’t want to go that way (also, just as important, my wife doesn’t want me going that way). I never would have parted with the DL160, but I broke it. The OM30 was the compromise of a reasonably priced, as good as the DL160 sounding cartridge with a replaceable stylus. And it doesn’t disappoint.

I’ll keep the DL160 for now, and consider retipping when money allows. Or, probably, the OM30 will be all I need and I won’t bother again until the stylus needs replacing.

21. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Ahh...understood...thanks.

22. Matteo567

Matteo567 Member

Hello from a new member looking for advice.

I have a Ortofon OM super 20 cartridge on my Rega Planar 3 deck (the old model, bought 20 years ago).

I need to replace the stylus and so was considering doing a straight swap with an OM 20 stylus. However, I am considering upgrading to OM super 30 or 2M Bronze cartridge.

But then I read @Yost's earlier post and it seems possible to upgrade by placing an OM 30 stylus on my cartridge?? But I may have misunderstood.

Would greatly appreciate any advice/clarification.

23. Yost

It has been I while… As far as I remember, you can put an OM30 stylus in a OM20 body. You should experience better sound, although it’s not a full Super OM30. The Super OMs have a slightly upgraded cartridge.

Buying a cheaper OM and upgrading to a more expensive stylus once the original wore out was my original plan. But then I learned that an OM30 styles has a longer lifespan than an OM10 or 20, and it more or less compensated for the higher price of a complete Super OM30 cartridge.

24. irender

irender Forum Resident

The OM30 stylus works perfectly with the Super OM20 cartridge body.

25. Matteo567

Matteo567 Member

Thanks @Yost - and I just realised that you wrote a month and a year ago...not last month! :rolleyes:

So, the OM 20 stylus is around €160. The OM 30 stylus €220. And the Super OM 30 cartridge about €260/€280. So some decisions to be made.

But I've just this minute found this review (Ortofon OM30 ) which backs up what you were saying about putting the OM30 stylus on (any) Super OM cartridge - apparently a big difference from the standard OM cartridge. Looks like this is the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.