Ortofon vs Dynavector

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pkonz, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Am just now struggling with the same decision: my Bronze just isn't doing it for me and don't know why. Maybe I've damaged the stylus, but not as glorious as it once was. So did some research on the Dynavector and a few folk on other forums praise it. So am going to order it from a dealer that has a 30-day return policy and A/B it with my Bronze

2. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I had both, and I tend to prefer the Ortofon. My feeling is that with the Ortofon Bronze you hear the actual record, with the Dynavector it's more like you listen to the cartridge (not exactly a bad thing, as it's a good cartridge) The Dynavector made the records sounds a bit similar, the Bronze show you how different every record is. At least this is my observation (have to say that I used the Dynavector for a very short time, and the Bronze I use regulary for the last couple of years, so I might be biased.)

3. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Ortofon,Sumiko and Benz make high output MC cartridges too.
    I do not see the point of them however.For the same money you can get a MM or MI cartridge that will sound at least as good and you can buy replacement stylus for them.They also track much better.
    Some of the modern MM cartridges sound superb-the Ortofon 2M Black,Nagaoka MP500 and AT 150 ANV for example and given that you can buy replacement stylus for them you can justify paying more for them up front than any MC alternative.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. Since posting I decided a good stylus cleaning was in order and worked wonderfully. I know the Bronze is close to top of line for my Technics 1800mk2 table and Needle Doctor verified that the Dynavector would be a horizontal move with not much improvement over the Bronze.

Finally, I also got the Jico SAS stylus for my Shure cart. So that ends the search for carts. At least for the time being

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.