Other Cronenberg DVDs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Paul C., Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member Thread Starter

With the Naked Lunch thread appearing, it made me want to know what other folks thought of some of the other Cronenberg DVDs out there. I recently picked up the Australian R4 Pal version of "the Dead Zone" from 1983, with Christopher Walken - one of my favourite horror flims of all time. It's a very nice transfer of the film - certainly the best I've ever seen it. I have also seen a mid-priced R4 PAL DVD version of "Videodrome" which I've been tempted to pick up.

I know the Criterion Dead Ringers disc is out of print - but how does it compare with the other version(s) available?

I saw the silly Existenz on video, and have not been inclined to seek out the DVD.

I saw Spider at the cinema and was greatly impressed - I reckon it would be great on DVD.

2. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I only own and have seen the Criterion version of Ringers, but it's a winner.

3. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

The Spider DVD has very good PQ and a superior film to boot.

I think the Existenz DVD is nice as well.

4. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I just saw Spider on our Movie Channel. Was probably the best movie I've ever seen concerning schizophrenia, including A Beautiful Mind. Cronenberg is in top form for this one.

5. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Allow me to vote for Spider as well - Cronenberg at his finest, IMO.

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Existenz on DVD from Canada is the one to own. It has a commentary track that is missing in the US version.

Cool movie!

7. Calavera

Calavera New Member

I saw Videodrome in a movie theater when it was released and it caused a deep impression on me.
    I have the dvd and I watch it very often.

8. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I've got the region 2 Crash DVD, which is a good anamorphic transfer in the original theatrical aspect ratio. Alright so the 'sex and wrecks' theme is pretty black, but so was Videodrome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.