Otis Redding - The Complete Live At The Whisky A Go Go due in October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Like Otis, Bernstein would be a lot of repetition too, unlike the Miles set where every performance of the same tune is vastly different in musical conception.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. I definitely want this set when I can snag it a little cheaper. I've heard nothing but good things about this box set.

melstapler likes this.
  3. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I think the CD DR is as good or better than the download plus cheaper as well.

melstapler likes this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. Saw it for around $35 during Black Friday, but hesitated. Definitely looks to be an essential collection.

5. petdevaney

petdevaney Forum Resident

No. I purchased the 'Otis Redding in Person at the Whiskey A Go Go' LP sometime in the 70's and never replaced it when I went to CD's and now just digital.

This new collection sounds great, I just don't want to have multiple live versions of all the songs. I'm just looking to acquire the best performance of each song.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

So why not get the RSD double LP?
    It's fabulous.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. It is great. But it's really hard to find. The only RSD release I personally never saw out in the wild.

chacha likes this.
  8. darling

darling Senior Member

You could download the "Live at Sunset Strip" 2CD set - which has Show 2 set 3, Show 3 set 1 and Show 3 set 2.

Or you're welcome to buy my no-longer-needed physical copy :)

9. petdevaney

petdevaney Forum Resident

So, I think I might be missing something here and I apologize if there is another release of 'Otis Live at the Whiskey' that I don't know about.

What is the 'RSD double LP'? And are we talking vinyl?

10. Yes vinyl.
    [​IMG]

DTK and seaisletim like this.
  11. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Red vinyl!

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's a compilation of the "best" versions from CD box set.

13. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Disc 6, Sunday, Set 2, Mr. Redding: "We ran outta tunes, we' tryin' to think of something to do, y'all."
    Truly. truly. beautiful.

14. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

The 6cd set really is great. It's a look into the stage presence of Otis Redding. Not a person left those shows feeling they didn't get their money's worth

JayB likes this.
  15. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

I bought the LP last week--after RSD--but haven't cued it up yet. Second Ave Records in Portland OR had multiple copies. Anyone looking for a copy might want to give them a call.

16. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Listened to the first show in the set last night, and came away with these impressions:

1. Otis and the band absolutely work their *** off performing, simply amazing.

2. That may just be the lamest audience I've ever heard. Small club, filled with people who appear not to 'get' Otis' music.

3. You can almost hear Otis thinking, "WTF do I have to do to get these folks to get off their ***?!?"

4. The odd contrast between the amazing performances and the half-hearted crowd response suggests a reason why much of this material stayed in the can for 50 years.

FWIW, I love having this box set, vintage live recordings like this don't come along every day. But I admit I felt sorry for Otis and the band, working that hard for a relatively unappreciative audience.

zphage, eddiel and thesisinbold like this.
  17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

shutdown66 likes this.
  18. guidedbyvoices

The vinyl pre order is down to $29.99 today on amazon!

seaisletim likes this.
  19. guidedbyvoices

Loving the 2LP set. Is there info anywhere on the complete set which versions of repeated songs were used for the original 60s whisky release and for this new 2 LP version?

20. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

Im thinking of buying this but can someone answer why some of his sets appear rather short? is that just how they were?

21. guidedbyvoices

Just how it was back then. Beatles only played 30 minute sets. Not sure if otis' sets were to the same paying customers, like an intermission.

22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Otis Redding at the Whisky A Go Go.
    Image: Nat the Cat Robinson.
    I'm presently immersed in Jonathan Gould's exceptional bio, Otis Redding: An Unfinished Life (a cropped,
    monochrome-version of the above image is included in the book).
    Confirm/Deny Department: In the book, the author states there was a fourth night of performances, kicking off the
    series of shows, was played on Thursday 07 April 1966.

23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

How is the sound on the newly remastered sets? The original LP's sound wasn't much to write home about.

24. Supposedly great. I haven't heard them myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.