Outdoor systems (backyard/patio/pool/whatever)...what are you using?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Obtuse1, May 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine is quite modest, supplying tunes to a small screened-in patio:

$15 thrift store Sansui R-950AV

[​IMG]

Polk OS70 Outdoor speakers (cheap refurbished buy):

[​IMG]

The receiver used to sit outside on the patio...I recently moved it inside and ran speaker cable through the wall to the patio. The speakers sit on a shelf for now.

I usually feed it with a tablet or smartphone, via a bluetooth adapter, or use the FM tuner. I also use a wireless IR remote extender to control the receiver from outside.

What are you using? Modest or fancy, let's see 'em!

rodentdog likes this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I've had the same BT speaker for years and years. A jawbone I bought at the sprint store, the first time I ever saw one.

guidedbyvoices and Obtuse1 like this.
  3. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I just acquired a V-Moda Remix Bluetooth speaker -- marvelous little thing, can pump out the sounds without jumping into the red. Easy to carry around, good range. Great for working in the yard. A bit expensive for a little speaker, but it beats the snot out of the smaller one I had before. Quite musical. Plus it looks a bit like a Marshall speaker, cool.

4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Vintage Pioneer receiver runs zone 2 which is our great room, garage, backyard, dining room. Toying with the idea of using a RPi "HifiBerry" to be a Roon endpoint for that zone too (have one running Zone 3 which is our bedroom). Using some rock speakers I got on Amazon for the backyard but I think they're starting to give up the ghost. Anyone else have rock speakers in your backyard who could recommend a reasonably affordable replacement set? $400 budget for two, and it's mostly rock/metal music out there.

Obtuse1 likes this.
  5. 04dgmsilv

04dgmsilv Forum Resident

Using a RPi with Hifiberry pro dac fed as Roon endpoint direct to an old NHT Power2 amp then on to some PSB CS1000 speakers. Works great, maybe a little light on gain going direct from the dac to amp, but any more and I'd wake the neighbors! Dac and amp are in a closet in the house, wiring through attic to soffit where speakers are mounted.

6. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

Zone 2 on the AVR, with a single Polk Atrium 8 on the deck.

7. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Wireless and battery-powered:

[​IMG]

The Pinhead, Manimal and Vinyl Addict like this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

9. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Riva Turbo X Bluetooth speaker.
    Living in the northeast (USA), I like to keep things portable and bring any equipment inside when not being used.

10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

my friend got one of those. it's not stereo, right? just one speaker?

11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

for me it's the "b" speaker channel on my old jvc receiver. I have some polk audio speakers mounted under the balcony.....they were free at a garage sale.

rodentdog likes this.
  12. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Denon receiver.
    A -speakers are for the garage. Sound Dynamics RTS-1's
    B- speakers are for the pool area. Martin Logan outdoor speakers.

Source is a Squeezebox

13. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yes, it's mono. I think there are two drivers and a port behind that screen.

14. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

My "outdoor" system is as follows:

The only part of my outdoor system that is truly outdoors are the speakers for the main deck of the house (the other two decks are really just balconies). I use a pair of PSB CS1000 outdoor speakers installed on the ceiling of an overhang at one end of the deck. ( CS1000 Universal In-Outdoor Speakers - PSB Speakers ).

The preamp of my main system (see profile) has two pair of outputs and one of them feeds a Marantz MM7025 stereo power amp (Marantz US | MM7025 ) that drives the outdoor speakers.

I use a pair of Kimber Hero interconnects to hook the Marantz amp to the preamp and two 50 feet runs of Kimber KWIK 12 ( Kimber Kable - KWIK-12 ) in-wall speaker cable to hook up the outdoor speakers to the Marantz amp.

Old fashion, but it works and sounds pretty good (IMHO).

15. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I bought some Behringer B2031A powered monitors way back when I first set up a home studio.

I upgraded a number of years ago and the 2031's have been out on my covered patio, rain and shine probably since 2008 and they still sound pretty good. They don't get rained on, but they do get moist!

One thing about most patio speakers is that they are weak on the low end. These have near 9" woofers and 140 watt power amp per speaker.

The timing of this thread is interesting, as I got some high gloss black paint and refreshed their look today. I assume this will buy more time for these speakers and keep some of the moisture at bay.

I bought this pair for less than $400 new, and eBay has many at significantly less $.

16. Obtuse1

I also have a few bluetooth speakers for on the go...my usual go-to is the Cambridge Soundworks Oontz Angle Plus.

Super portable, long battery life, sounds decent for what it is, and cheap enough not to worry about.

[​IMG]

PaulJay and johnnypaddock like this.
  17. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I have the baby brother to that unit; not bad in a pinch but doesn't have the boom of my Block Rocker.

18. Obtuse1

A lot easier to carry, though. :)

19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

2nd zone from my vintage pioneer with only one speaker because the other channel had the sub on it. Thinking of a T amp with my Boston Acoustics CR 6's for back pizorch.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My outdoor system is in the garage.
    3-Onkyo 282 amps, these amps are wired together. They were intended for home theater. I bought them used, cheap.
    Wharfedale Evolution2-pair
    Madisound kit bookshelf speaker-pair
    JBL L20T bookshelf speaker-pair
    Adcom GTP 500 preamp
    Kenwood KT7500 tuner
    Onkyo 7030 cd player

This system gets a lot of use and enjoyment.

Mitsuman likes this.
  21. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Getting Klipsch AW650W installed Friday they will run off zone 2 of my Dennon AVR2300.

22. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

My outdoor system for the back porch, also includes zones for the garage, living room & family room. Everything is driven with a vintage Marantz 3600 pre amp and Marantz 240 power amp, switched through a Niles speaker switch. The porch and garage speakers are older Paradigm Stylus 150's, with Large Advents indoors. Sources include a Marantz 125 tuner, network streaming via a Chromecast Audio (I'm new to this) and Sirius satellite I'm hoping the streaming will replace. Thinking of a sub for the back porch if anyone has any ideas.

Tullman likes this.
  23. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

24. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Still LMAO!!

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

One of these. Horn loaded, of course:D. 40 watts, mp3 player, FM radio, 8 band equalizer and tone controls, rechargeable internal battery and bluetooth (don't use it cuz it degrades the sound horribly)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.