OutKast in 5.1 on DVD is Fantastic

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by therockman, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

The disc OUTKAST THE VIDEOS is really a good little DVD to show off your system. The 5.1 mix on the songs is so well done, it changes this music from simply good music to down-right-fantastic music. The discreet nature of the 5.1 mix is well worth the money for this disc, but the videos are great also. HEY YA! is so funny and original, but the real sonic treat here is the song THE WAY YOU MOVE. Boy, this 5.1 mix of this song really puts your system to work, and a well tuned sub woofer will sound great with this song.

2. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

What??? When did this guy come out?

3. therockman

I really don't know when it came out. I just picked up my copy at Wal Mart for $12.88. A real good deal considering it has over 1 hour of music and video.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Consumer alert! There is also a DVD-V single of "Hey Ya" and "The Way You Move". It does not have 5.1 mixes on it, though. This new collection has most of their videos to date with 5.1 mixes and the cover looks like this:[​IMG]

Regards,

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

mmmmm.....this sounds like a must buy!

6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Sorry to ask, but ... is there a parental advisory on the DVD? (I bought the album for my 12-year old for Christmas, and she dutifully pointed out to me that it did have an advisory. We took it back to Circuit City, where she sweetly exchanged if for a Lillix (?) for her 8-year old sister. I did find the EDITED version at Walmart, of course.)

7. dabl

dabl Senior Member

Hmmm, this bodes well for a 5.1 DVD-A release of Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below which I really hope happens. I like the Stankonia DVD-A a lot. The 5.1 mixes are well done.

8. therockman

To answer Ron regarding the Parential Advisory; no this disc does not have an advisory, the videos are shown here the same way that they are shown on MTV, which means it is edited for family viewing. There is one scene in which the charechter clearly says the "f" word, but it is bleeped out.

9. Ken_McAlinden

On a side note, on the recent R.E.M. In View DVD compilation, they included the censored broadcast versions on the 2-channel track, but did not do any bleeps or blanks to the 5.1 track. This affects only one or two tracks, though. It sounds like the Outkast set is bleeped either way.

Regards,

10. therockman

I believe it is censored in both soundtracks. What makes this disc so fun is that a lot of us here at this forum have fantastic systems, but yet sometimes our children feel left out. If you have a well set-up 5.1 surround sound system, with a kick butt sub woofer, this disc will show off the best your system has, at loud levels, with great bass and a very well done discreet 5.1 soundtrack. The bass just rocks in the sub so nice and clean, and not like those bassed out thumping cars, but tastefully and cleanly. Although I am 46, I really felt that this is the best sounding hip hop that I have heard. I have yet to hear the LUDICROUS SACD.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I agree with you. It's nice to have some current music thats also good in 5.1 Surround so even the kids can discover how good 5.1 can sound.

Another good disc for modern rock with excellent 5.1 is Linkin Park's Reanimation DVDA. It has a few videos in 5.1 that just thump.

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

I've been hoping for some feedback on the "Stankonia" DVD-A, and I just haven't found any (on this forum or elsewhere). I love the music, but I've been burned on a few DVD-A blind buys in the past... sounds really good, does it?

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

check here.....good and bad news...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=24992&highlight=stankonia

14. Ken_McAlinden

One oddity with the DVD-A that I found very annoying is that if you listen to the DD5.1 mix on the DVD-V program, it is authored so that every track is given its own "title". This creates a one second or so pause between songs which screws up all of the transitions/crossfades.

Regards,

15. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

Hmmmm... the compressed sound could be from the original recording rather than the mastering, but the CD does sound a bit "hot", though not abnormally so by rap/rock standards. Sorta expected that.

But the one-second pause between tracks? Ugh. I've heard poorly-made CD-Rs that do this, and so does my daughter's iPod, and it destroys the flow. Dropouts and pauses make me nuts, particularly when they occur on a really cool transition.

But only on the DVD-V track?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.