Overlooked audiophile rock album: Neil Young's "On The Beach?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghostworld, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

There are precious few really well recorded "classic rock" albums. Maybe 20 or 30 titles that are continually reissued and fussed over. Need we name them? DSOM PS TFTTM ... enough anagrams, yet?

I have so much music, I sometimes haven't listened to all of it. Tonight was one of those: "Let's hear it" night. I was scrolling through Neil Young (no, flipping tonight) and pulled up "On the Beach" by Neil Young. My college roommate had a beat up record he adored. I think I listened to it once in 1976.

Came on the new set of Smaller Advents and "wow." What a great sounding album. I mean, I think it deserves to be in the pantheon of those classic rock album to toil after. No idea what release my files were from. The were ripped from a CD as some point. But from the first track you knew you were deep in audiophile territory. What a great pressing could do with this!

So why doesn't this one make a regular appearance among the reissues of "audiophile rock" editions? Where are the SACD, Bluray, 200gram reissues - it's a beauty!

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well, there is a nice vinyl reissue from last year, and a DVD Audio disc was issued several years ago. But ultimately, only one man has the answers to all your questions. And I'm guessing you can guess who that is.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Classic ?
    His best album cover at least.

Sonically it's very good.
    Think his debut st album is more hi rez suitable.

4. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

It's been released in hi-res two years ago. Then there was a DVD-A and a vinyl. The CD will be reissued on 12th May. What else do you want?:shrug: You can not get more audiophile than that.​

5. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Pretty much all of his albums sound amazing. Certainly up through Tonight's the Night. And those have all been reissued relatively recently on all-analog vinyl. The originals are no slouch either.

Cassius and Chemguy like this.
  6. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

All the 1970s Neil Young through Rust Never Sleeps are great sounding LPs - Zuma, Comes A Time, etc.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not really overlooked at all. Seems to get less mention than "Tonight's the Night" but that's just this forum and the obsession with a strange indulgent booze and pot soaked all nighter. "On The Beach" is the better album but of course, even if this forum does not agree. It's in Neil's top six albums.

uzn007, TS582, dennis1077 and 3 others like this.
  8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

This was to be my post. Right!

GreatTone likes this.
  9. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

On The Beach is my favorite NY album.

Jet Age Eric, TS582, DrJ and 8 others like this.
  10. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

how is this "overlooked"?

stef1205, DTK, lucan_g and 1 other person like this.
  11. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I've considered it one of his best all my life.

Maybe it was "overlooked" from 86-2005 when it was unavailable on CD?

12. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Was overlooked for a long time, was considered almost a whispered cult obscurity from his catalog at the time when I picked up on it (early 90's) but it's not nearly as overlooked or underappreciated today. It does indeed sound great. "Revolution Blues" is like a demo or test disc for me, I know exactly what it's supposed to sound like.

13. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

2003 ;)

uzn007 and stef1205 like this.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I agree. It may have been overlooked 20 years ago, but it is enjoying the lime light now. Many Neil Young followers consider it one of his best. By the way, the recent vinyl reissue sounds really nice.

15. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Still haven't purchased the actual CD; I rode my LPs and 16 bit vinyl rips of it and TFA until the new LPs made the scene.

16. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

"Walk On" sounds pretty muddy on every version I own, but after that I agree that yes, it's got serious audiophile cred.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

My favorite after the first 4. It happens to be my favorite album cover though.

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Time for another audition. Its been too long.... :shrug:

19. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I believe Neil asked the engineer to make some quick rough mixes so he could listen to the material.
    He liked those mixes so much, they were used on the album much to the dismay of the engineer.
    Maybe it's a case of less is more.

I think this is mentioned in Neil's book Shakey although I could be wrong.

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's a great album, not sure if the sound quality is one of its main virtues. I always thought side b is fittingly murky.

21. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

People hear murkiness and muddiness on songs that sound crystal clear to my ears. Am I missing anything?

DrJ, Cassius and pizzabeatsemail like this.
  22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Saves the the trouble of asking if it's underrated.

ARK likes this.
  23. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

We all know this one was unavailable in any format for YEARS
    'cepting the Used Bin. Saw the vinyl in the store last week and
    finally snapped it up. It's one of his most consistent releases.

Actually, my faves by him go like this:

On the Beach
    Neil Young
    Sleeps with Angels

To me, these are the essentials. Honorable mention to "EKTIN".

uzn007 likes this.
  24. pizzabeatsemail

pizzabeatsemail New Member

According to the Wikipedia page Neil wanted Side B to be Side A, so I changed the running order and damn he was right...

Much better to get 'On the Beach', 'Motion Pictures' and (my personal favourite) 'Ambulance Blues' front-loading the album, then the second side lifts you up.

In my humble opinion.

TheDailyBuzzherd and DTK like this.
  25. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Forum Resident

And mine too... But I admit I should say the Ditch Trilogy are my favorite NY albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.