Overlooked Van Morrison? No Guru, No Method, No Teacher

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Listening to a vinyl pressing of this and I really love the performance and sound. The sax work and lyrics on this album are really special.

Any other fans of this record?

It does not seem to be one of Van's records we hear a lot about...

Gregarious likes this.
  2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'm a big fan of this album. I haven't heard it in a while, which I'll have to rectify tonight, but I was pleasantly surprised at how consistently good it was. On a par with his classic Warners albums from the 70s.

Sadly I've only got it on CD. Does anyone know how the LP compares, soundwise?

Jason

3. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I haven't listened to it in awhile, but it's one of my favorite VM albums as well. Always loved Ivory Tower. I shall have to dig it out this weekend. I always liked that mid-late 80s VM stuff: Poetic, Avalon, Irish Heartbeat. Something about it reminds me of a great time in my life :righton:

I remember Adam Clayton from U2 listing it as one of his top 10 albums of all time as well.

4. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

Oh yeah! Delving deeper into Van is very rewarding.
    I have a W. German Polygram CD of it, very nice! Dig that ATOMIC SWIRL!

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Huh. Did not know that.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

One of his finest. I play it a lot!!

7. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

It is one of my favorite records - at one time I played it almost constantly. IMO the LP sounds better than the CD (even the W. German).

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

"In The Garden" is certainly among his finest creations.

9. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

My experience is that fans of Van Morrison mention this title as one of their favorites most of the time it comes up in discussion. :thumbsup:

duggan likes this.
  10. RW-audio

RW-audio Forum Resident

While I was certainly aware of Van before this one, this is the one that first really grabbed me and caused me to go back and delve into everything that came before. In The Garden and Tir Na Nog are still two of the most beautiful pieces of music I've heard...from anybody.

Still one of my favorites of his. Along with a number of his other mid-period albums, this one seems to be out of print - a temporary situation, I would imagine - I seem to recall reading that the rights to them had changed (again?)

Also very much enjoy Poetic Champions Compose, his next release, another one I don't hear a lot about.

11. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

One of Van's more relaxed and meditative albums and very enjoyable. The CD version sounds good too.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This is one of the very finest post Warners LP from Van. Great sound too.

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I love the trifecta of A Town Called Paradise-In the Garden-Tir Na Nog. One of my favorite Van albums :righton:

I also love the singing of backing singer June Boyce. She also appeared on Poetic Champions Compose and Irish Heartbeat. Anyone know anything else about her?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.