P-Mount Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by iDigital, Aug 9, 2016.

1. needlestein

needlestein Active Member

I am totally NOT surprised. Grado customer service is lacking. Their information machine in general is bad. For example, the paperwork that comes with these cartridges is just the old Prestige1 paperwork, so it's wrong. The resistance readings, for one, are different. The listed reading in the spec sheet is 475 ohms, but the cartridge reads about 680 ohms, which is probably the most major change/difference of the two series. Secondly, Grado gives out the same paperwork for all models. I have a Green1, Blue1, Gold and now Black2 for which I have original spec paperwork. The paperwork specs are all the same despite them all having differing specs when found online.

2. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Active Member

That's great! Please let us know how it sounds in comparison to the last version.

3. needlestein

The new Prestige Black2 is improved over the old version by having a much more present high end, just like what I’ve observed with the 1/2” version. The sound is much more balanced and musical. This is a fantastic cartridge. I never like the old Prestige and Prestige1 series, but I preferred the old Signature 8MR. These sound like the 8MR to me. Love it.

4. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

These are broken graphics for me. I would love to see the pictures.

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Good to know.

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Would love to hear a comparison needledrop :).

PhilBiker and sunspot42 like this.
  7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I would also. My only experience with Grado P-mounts was with a Green that I had on a Denon DP-7F. It had fairly poor inner groove performance but sounded pretty good on the outside grooves. Would like to hear their newer offering.

8. needlestein

One of these days when I can get that all set up, I could do needledrops. But don't count your chickens!

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. Soundgarden

Soundgarden Active Member

I've got a Green1 and have been interested to hear what folks think of the 2s. This is the first actual feedback I've come across. Curious... is your Black2 bringing out the high-end more as in making it brighter? My system is pretty high-end oriented as it is. If the new Grado carts are bright in comparison to the old ones I may think twice about getting a 2 despite good reviews. Thanks.

10. needlestein

Definitely much better high end, but these are still quite a ways off from anything approaching bright. Not to worry. They still have the Grado house sound—just I can’t imagine someone hearing what I’m hearing and calling it “dead,” or “lifeless.” But my Prestige and Prestige1 cartridges strike me as “dead” and “lifeless.” I wouldn’t say the Prestige2 is necessarily “lively,” but much, much improved over dead and lifeless.

11. Soundgarden

Soundgarden Active Member

Thanks for elaborating. I'd definitely going to pick one up to compare with my Green1. Question is whether I go Green2 or upgrade to a "higher" color... have you tested out the gold yet? I saw in another post that it looked like you might be planning on doing that. Thanks.