Paperback Writer/Rain: The Most Perfect A-side/B-side Ever?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Precisely why it's one of their three or four least good singles. File it 'forgettable', next to Lady Madonna, Can't Buy Me Love and Long and Winding Road.

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

If you're sincerely putting up a Frank Sinatra single as a contemporary rival to The Beatles single, then I guess one or other of us isn't really serious.

3. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I get it

ajsmith likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Think Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields is much stronger. Better lyrical depth and groundbreaking pop creation.

nikh33 likes this.
  5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I personally have to go with Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane

nikh33 likes this.
  6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I was 10-11 in 1966 and I thought Paperback Writer an embarrassment. Those videos you saw were the colour ones, in the UK we had the pleasure of seeing The Beatles appear live on Top of The Pops doing Paperback Writer and Rain, in black suits and black ties. They looked just like The Beatles. Paul even had a fixed tooth. No sunglasses, no fancy shirts. If John had played a Rickenbacker instead of the Epiphone, it could have been 1964. Now the next time we saw them, in February 1967, they really looked different.
    I think Steve was just as big a Beatles nut as you were, and about 9 or 10.

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, all of those - and with Day Tripper, We Can Work It Out, Revolution, Don't Let Me Down, Across The Universe (alt.), Get Back (studio), Let It Be,... Past Masters 2 is my favourite Beatles CD!

8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Everyone mentioning The Beach Boys cites Wouldn't It Be Nice b/w God Only Knows.

No love for I Get Around b/w Don't Worry Baby? Tremendous A/B punch from a group that didn't often skimp on the B sides.

A few more runners up from The Beach Boys 1963 ~ 1965:

Surfin' USA / Shut Down
    Surfer Girl / Little Deuce Coupe
    Fun Fun Fun / Why Do Fools Fall In Love
    When I Grow Up (to be a man) / She Knows Me Too Well
    Do You Wanna Dance / Please Let Me Wonder
    Help Me, Rhonda / Kiss Me, Baby
    California Girls / Let Him Run Wild

If you ask me, these all rank with The Beatles are far as quality of the B-side goes (not comparing the BBs to the Bs release for release). I'm just saying that The Beach Boys showed serious concern for the B-side as well -- in an era where the B-side was still a throw away for many groups.

Mechanical Man and profholt82 like this.
  9. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Sorry, always found the Frere Jacques bit flat and annoying. Detracts from the rest of the track.

10. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

That's an excellent a/b especially the b-side - but it's very hard to top "Wouldn't It Be Nice"/"God Only Knows".

11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

how about we will rock you b/w we are the champions?

delmonaco likes this.
  12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

SFF/Penny Lane is better....

13. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Agreed.

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

My vote would go to:

Strange Town/The Butterfly Collector
    or
    William, It Was Really Nothing/Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want Now

adm62 likes this.
  15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The color, Chiswick Park-filmed promo videos for Paperback Writer/Rain are the the Beatles at their absolute peak of cool. You can debate the music, but the Fabs never looked better and never made a better promo than for those two tracks.

And I have mentioned this before over the years, but when I went to London in 2000 for vacation, I spent an entire day going to/from and hanging out in Chiswick Park just to be where those promos were made.

nikh33 and Rickchick like this.
  16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yeah they were the epitome of cool in '66. When I finally get to the UK I'll be doing the same thing. Also want to go to where they filmed the videos for ""Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane".

17. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

You're right. I had it when I was a kid and I guess I never looked at the date and realized it was a reissue.

18. hotassun

hotassun Forum Resident

Blech

19. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

That's my favorite beatle single

20. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Boy, you put a lot of effort into rebutting my OP, which was done in good fun. Some one pee in your coffee? Forgot to take your meds?

Seriously, you can disagree, it is fine, but your views are rather over the top.:rolleyes:

Rubber Soul, Rickchick and RonW like this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yup. Agree.

RonW likes this.
  22. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

In the summer of 1966, Sinatra/Strangers was a huge pop hit that was played side-by-side with the Beatles and Stones and other top artists on Top 40 AM radio in the U.S. So nikh33 has a legitimate point when he argues that it is/was indeed a contemporary rival to the Beatles that summer. The recordings may be miles apart stylistically, but they competed on the same "radio turf" for airtime...and 13 year olds like me that summer of '66 bought both 45s, Sinatra and the Beatles. And FWIW, my fave that summer, the Stones' Mother's Little Helper/Lady Jane. :)

Rickchick likes this.
  23. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

...wow...
    Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

24. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

was a double A in the UK apologies if others may have already mentioned

25. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

here are many perfect A side B side Beatles pairings but in the UK we have to disbar Penny lane and We can work it out/DT as perfect pairings as these were double A's, however of UK true A side B side Beatles pairings along side Paperback, would be HJ/Revolution, Get Back / Dont let me Down and IWTHYH and This Boy and probably IFF / she's a woman they must all be up there. Something Come together would be too but they were unusually taken from an existing Album. Other artists will struggle to have many, if any, B sides that will come even close to most Beatles B sides, let alone the A side......if you need reminding about how the Beatles can dwarf almost anything else just look at most of their B sides.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.