Paradigm Reference Studio/20

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kevin Sypolt, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone else have any experience with the Paradigm Reference Studio/20? I wanted to upgrade my BLS (Bedroom Listening System - the one I am forced to use when the wife wants to watch TV in the living room...) I was currently using a SuperZero/sub system, and I assumed the Studio/20s would fit right in. After breaking them in a couple of days, I still found them to be waaaayyyy too bright, even when powered from a Dynaco Stereo 70. I certainly didn't expect this. I finally ended up taking them back to the store in frustration. They are HIGHLY recommended on audioreview.com...

2. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member

Yeah, I had a pair a while back. Took a loooonnnnggg time for the treble to calm down. After that, they were very clean and dynamic, especially for the price. I think they are still one of the best values in audio.

Tom

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have the Studio 20's (also using Dynaco) and they are a bit bright and have a little too much "sssssssss'. I think it might be the metal dome tweeters. I think they're a great deal for the price but not sonic nirvana. They do have great imaging and the Dynaco is helping tame the brightness. It took several months for them to break-in and the did sound better. In the next month or two I may upgrade to some nice floorstanding speakers (perhaps Meadowlark Shearwater Hotrods). I would suggest maybe giving them some more break-in time and maybe find some speaker wire that will help get brightness a bit under control. I'm using the Jon Rische Beldon CC DIY speaker wires and because they're pretty neutral/honest, I'm now into upgrading to something more satisfying. I've had the Paradigms for a couple of years and I'm ready for a change...

Todd

4. Chris Garrett

Chris Garrett New Member

Paradigm Studio 20 v.1s

I've run a pair, along with the CC450 center, for three plus years in a HT rig. First it was Denon 3200, now a 3300. The Studio 20s do have a hotter top end, but they aren't fatiguing to my ears. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, however.

If you don't like the aluminium tweeter, try something like the Totem Model 1s or the Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mkIIs, etc.

Chris

5. Todd Fredericks

Hey Chris,

I've read a lot of your posts at Audio Asylum. If I recall, you posted some info about DIY upgrades to improve the Studio 20's. Did you ever do it?

Todd

6. Chris Garrett

Chris Garrett New Member

Good memory.........

Hey Todd,

No, never upgraded them as I began to upgrade the two channel rig. I think I removed the back panel and decided not to mess with it at that time.

Here's the gist of the upgrades given to me by Alan:

"1. Replace binding post with a quality post. I usually use WBT top line. Their solid copper with a gold plated finish. At 80 for a set (1 dual binding post) they are really worth it. They have a beautifully warm sound that extends the highs and lows.

2. From WBT to crossover use Kimber AGSS 19 gauge silver/teflon wire. 4 per input is perfect (13 gauge into the crossover). Use a good quality solder. WBT is my first choice, if that's not available cardas makes an excellent solder.

3. And final... Replace wiring to speakers. Remain the 16 gauge
    Paradigm uses. 2 of the AGSS conductors per terminal. You can twist, braid-this is preferable. Solder each connection. Put it back
    together. Give the Kimber a 75 hour burn in (teflon is always time
    consuming in this process, but after the first 50 hours you will begin to hear a difference).

Sounds expensive, and at 160 for the WBT's, 15 for the solder, and 16.50 a foot for the Kimber it is... But for less than 250, you added about 3000.00 to the sound of your speakers. "

As a fan of silver wire and WBT connectors, I could see how this might help with detail, but I wonder if the perception for most, is in hearing a 'brighter' speaker.

Take care, Chris

7. Todd Fredericks

Thanks for the great info, Chris! I also agree that silver wire may not be a helpful solution to the already "bright" tone of the 20's. Hmmm?

Thanks again,
    Todd

8. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

I've got some Paradigm Active/40's and had heard that they were on the bright side, but I've never felt that to be the case. Later, I read somewhere that, due to customer complaints, they changed the design to make them less bright. Anyone know if this is true, and if they did the same with other models?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.