"Parenthood" new TV series on NBC based on the movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nukevor, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

My father passed away on Tuesday after a lengthy illness and Im the youngest of six..so I was pretty emotionally invested this season..

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The scene that stood out for me was when Hank (Ray Romano) went to ask Zeek (Craig T. Nelson) for his blessing for his upcoming marriage to Sarah (Lauren Graham). It was just a very touching scene.

Ray Romano's work on this show reminds me of his excellent "Men of a Certain Age" show. Great job.

ben_wood, rburly and zebop like this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Sorry to hear that. I'm the youngest of five and my dad passed away earlier this month, too. Though I wasn't enthusiastic about this final season, it did hit close to home at times.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't have a probem with how Zeke died. Much better than an overly dramatic death in the hospital with family at his side or rushing to get there. And I don't think it would have helped to show everyone getting the news afterwards. What for? As if the show needed to rack up more crying scenes. It wasn't a great finale and glossed over all the problems set up by the solutions that it provided (Julia went stir crazy as a stay home mom, but now her and Joel will adopt a newborn? How is Crosby going to just take the Luncheonette over? Does he have the money to buy out Adam's half?), but oh well. It was a very bad final season, but I don't think the finale itself was a dud. It was as good as they could have done in an hour given where the show put itself.

Did anyone notice in the montage that Amber apparently swapped one former Friday Night Lights football player for another? That gave me a chuckle.

mrjinks and zebop like this.
  6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I loved the show from day one. The ensemble cast and my affection for the movie drew me to its premiere broadcast, and the performances and story lines kept me a fan. Plus, I come from a big, loud, loving family not unlike the Bravermans.

I wasn't a parent when the show first aired, but my wedding was a few weeks away. A year later I became a father and a few years after that, my son was diagnosed as autistic — not unlike Max Braverman. Throughout these past five years of life experience, Parenthood has been there like a security blanket. I'm going to miss it.

I thought the finale was very well-done. My only gripes are that NBC didn't give the episode a longer time slot so Katims wouldn't have had to cut scenes like the one John Corbett filmed, and that Haddie was an afterthought. She was nowhere to be found in the future montage, not even at her brother's graduation.

ben_wood, zebop and mrjinks like this.
  7. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

rburly likes this.
  8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

One thing I won't miss are the big banners telling me to "live tweet with the cast" that NBC plastered over top of the show, along with the pop up adds for their other shows.

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

So sorry guys for your loss and I can only imagine that final show must have hit home. My father passed away 7 years ago after a short illness and my mother is now 90. This show just had a fairly great cast, that sadly were taken on many silly adventures or got itself caught up a little too long with certain issues or themes. I get it that each of our families goes through the ups and downs of life, but when this show's storyline was a little lighter and the grass a bit greener, it was a pleasure to watch. Outside of "Big Bang Theory" and "This Old House", (Got to have my weekly fix of Norm and the gang, LOL), I've got nothing pressing to want to watch anymore.

By the way, did you like how NBC ended "Parenthood" and then immediately promoted a new "family" show, called "The Slap"? Apparently an adult neighbor slaps a kid and the neighborhood turns into a Ferguson, Missouri setting toot sweet. Yeah, that's just what I want to spend some quality time with NBC, especially when it's the nightly news EVERY night! :help:

10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

For those who are going through "Parenthood" withdrawal, the cast will come together again at the 2015 TVLand Award, airing on April 18th....

[​IMG]

ben_wood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.