Parks and Recreation

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yesstiles, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Are you using "series" in the international sense to mean season? Or did you really hate the entire run of the show?

I actually kind of felt the same about Anne and Chris/Chip returning. It seemed like it was more for the cast to have a reunion than to serve any real plot purpose.

I think the jump to 2017 was mostly just a gag for the previous season finale which was possibly going to be the series finale, and then when they got renewed for one more season they decided to just run with it.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They could only get Rashida and Rob Lowe at the same time on one day. It's too bad -- I thought Ann at least should have had a larger role in the finale, given that she was a central character for 85% of the show's run. All those times the characters were able to reunite in the subsequent decades and Ann was never there?

Mike Schur said the implication in the Jerry's funeral scene that either Ben or Leslie was the President was the finale's "Sopranos moment."

GodShifter and kevywevy like this.
  3. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

The finale was ok but the real highlight last night was April and Jerry making out on Seth Meyers' show. You read that right.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Another great show bites the dust. This ending didn't have as much impact because it seemed like the first episode of this last season was yesterday (it almost was), and then-boom! It was over. Plus this last season was pretty uneven, although it did have one of the best episodes in the entire run ("Leslie & Ron"). But the finale did have its moments, and it was truly a love letter to the fans, which is a sentiment not all finales share (I'm looking at you, "How I Met Your Mother"). Maybe we can retire the "time jump" technique, as there was as much of it in this show to last us a lifetime (or several). Parks and Recreation was a really sweet show and I will miss it.

jriems likes this.
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yes, sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion.

No, while I thought it got off to an awkward start (and came close to giving up after 1-2 episodes) it did turn into a pretty funny show for the most part. I don't know whether they had a change of writers or simply ran out of ideas, but the last two SEASONS (better get that right! :)) were poor, with this last one being especially bad.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I don't think I've ever been so emotional watching a finale. Just finished it and I keep tearing up when I think of that final cast hug and series wrap announcement.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It was a long expressed desire by those involved in the show that the mayor would eventually be revealed and that Bill Murray would play the role, but in the interviews where it was mentioned, it was always portrayed as something of a pipe dream. If they actually thought they were going to succeed, they probably would not have mentioned it at all. :laugh:

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We finally watched the finale last night. Thought it was a good send-off for the show. Even though Parks and Rec wasn't the funniest show I've ever seen in my life, it did have more than enough moments episode to episode that I'll be watching reruns until I croak. So many great characters and scenarios to re-live.

We're really going to miss it a lot.

As we're often late to the party, we just started watching Raising Hope via Netflix over the last week or so. While certainly a different brand of humor, we're liking it a lot, so at least there's something humorous to fill the Parks and Rec void we're now faced with.

9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I agree with you. It was a lot less sappy a finale than The Office finale, so I am grateful for that. I thought the final season was very strong, overall.

10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

My laughter neutralizes your negativity.

It was great.

jriems, kevywevy and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  11. Splungeworthy

12. My only disappointment with the finale was April's story. They seemed to be hinting for the last season or so that she was finally maturing and getting tired of dumb ass (I always thought Andy was way too stupid to be believable) and I was hoping she'd end up with a decent guy. Other than that I liked how they finished everybody's stories.

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I watched this show a couple of times when it was on NBC, but wasn't gaga over it. I've been watching the re-runs on Esquire Network and have been hooked since seeing Ron work through his hernia. Sorry I more-or-less skipped this one originally.

DLant likes this.
  14. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Glad you came around to it!

15. I finished my Netflix binge watch tonight. Well, I started in November. That was a lot of episodes, and I can only say I didn't like one of them: "The Johnny Karate" episode.

Otherwise, wow, I really needed a comedy in my life at the moment, and this one filled that empty hole quite nicely.

I didn't even watch the original run and I'll already miss it. Fantastic stuff!

16. MLutthans

I stumbled upon Parks and Rec on the "E!" network last night, so it looks like it has moved from Esquire Channel. Apparently, it is only shown on networks with E as their first letter.

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Such a great show, and of course Ron Swanson is now one of the greatest all-time tv characters. Just a hoot to watch. :)

But be forewarned, the actor who plays Swanson (Nick Offerman) isn't all-gold. I watched quite a bit of his Netflix special "American Ham." It is abysmal. Not in the least bit funny, and very distasteful and pathetic. A huge disappointment. I wish I could unsee it and just remember him on Parks and Rec.

18. MLutthans

I have not seen that, but when I have seen assorted cast members from the series on talk shows, I almost always find them unfunny (with the exception of Ms. Plaza on Colbert), yet they all "work" within the context of the show.
    Last night at 2 AM or so, I caught the bowling episode, which I had not seen before. Funny, funny stuff. I laughed so hard the cat hopped off my lap!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    yesstiles likes this.
  19. MLutthans

I said that as a joke (about being only on "E" networks), but now I see that reruns are also airing on FXX, so the show is apparently working its way up the alphabet.
    If figure that in 45 days we'll be seeing reruns on the Great American Country channel.

20. Splungeworthy

I love me some Parks & Rec, but I agree about how unfunny the cast is off-show. Particularly Aziz Ansari. I've watched his standup and the Netflix show "Master of None" and it didn't do anything for me.

MLutthans likes this.
  21. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Just finished binge-watching this show on Netflix and really loved it.

Was shocked that they called the Cubs championship in '15 when the series was set in '17! I know they did it as a joke, but it came true!

Now, if Lebron ends up going back to Miami after this season, it will really have me wondering...

22. MLutthans

Side note: I see Esquire Network has ceased operations. (No great loss.)

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I just binge watched the entire show in about two weeks or less. I thought it was an entertaining and often funny show but like most American comedies it fell into the same tired plot lines that most do: namely relationships with the cast, babies, and the 'will they, won't they' thing. Anyway, that aside as you just have to expect that stuff, there were some really good characters on the show. Tom and Ron were my favorites in the main cast while some of the bit players had their moments also. I really got kind of tired of Chris Pratt's Andy after awhile. I mean being kind of a dim blub can be amusing but he was just way over the top dumb.

The show started out VERY rocky and only until they got a better handle on who they wanted Leslie to be (control freak, super organized at work - certainly not at home) did the show get its legs under it. I read that the show almost was cancelled in its first season and I can see why as it seemed like an under developed "The Office" type show. Ron Swanson will always be my hero and one of my favorite characters on any show. His interactions with his ex-wives was hilarious. Everything about him was hilarious actually. Definitely a man after my own heart.

"Parks and Recreation" wasn't a great show but it was entertaining and light hearted. I appreciated that as I kind of needed something silly and not too serious to watch to get my mind off more troubling things in my life right now.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  24. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I have to disagree, there are very few tv comedies I classify as great, and this is one of them....I don't think binging is the best way to enjoy sitcoms, just like watching continuous Three Stooges films lessens their appeal.

anthontherun likes this.
  25. MLutthans

I'm more with @dirwuf on this one. It's "right up there" with me. (FWIW, if I had to binge watch ANY series in two weeks, I'd spot its weaknesses -- and grow tired of things -- to a degree that would never develop if I merely allowed the show to unwind at a casual pace. Either way, I understand that "YMMV," etc.)

Ron is one of my favorite TV characters ever, period.

dirwuf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.