Parks Audio Budgie Tube Phono Preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leviethan, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Love my Budgie. The Genalex Gold Lion 6922 gold pins were a great upgrade in my system.

jimbutsu likes this.
  2. bfoot

bfoot Member

I got a budgie last week. I upgraded from the Schiit Mani. Very happy. So the consensus is to roll the Gold Lion 6922 in it? Where is the best place to get a matched set?

3. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I settled on some Amperex 7025's in my budgie and couldn’t be happier. :)

4. 7025 tubes won't work in a Budgie.

5. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

Try a nice pair of NOS Bugle Boy 6dj8s instead of the Gold Lions.....I think you'd like them more, IMO.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'm guessing he means 7308.

morinix and Jelloalien like this.
  7. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

That's funny, I literally was just thinking of this and logged in to edit my post LMAO

Yes, I meant to write that i have amperex 7308's

morinix and Strat-Mangler like this.
  8. Well, there is a 7 and a 0 common to both numbers. :winkgrin:

Jelloalien likes this.
  9. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I'm waiting on my Budgie; attempted delivery Saturday, but the postal carrier didn't feel like waiting for me to get to the door to sign for it. Who knows how long it will take to get here now. I don't have good experiences with rescheduling things with USPS. Frustrating.

10. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Mine is coming tomorrow. I had been hemming and hawing for three years and finally said enough is enough: get the damn thing already!

11. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

I have owned the Budgie since summer of 17. my first stab at Tube Phono. I haven't rolled out of the EH 6922 as of yet. My ears like the changes Tubes bring, but I also know that "What about this?' bug will get me at some point. Best 399.00 I have spent on my equipment so far.

12. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Mine came today which caused me to get to work late. Had to spin an album before going. I am liking what I am hearing so far. Much more open than I am used to. Percussion that I thought was some wooden thing now sounds like maracas. Bye bye smearing.

ranch 22b, Madness and bluemooze like this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Where I live, I consider it a win if a USPS package is delivered by a postal employee instead of the guy ten houses down it got delivered to. It's about 50/50.

kinkling and Madness like this.
  14. Madness

I got mine on Tuesday; I've listened to a little bit so far, but no real critical listening yet. But what I did hear I liked.

ranch 22b likes this.
  15. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Rollltide, I realize this post is pretty old, but how did you like the Mullard 6DJ8's and in what context did you use them? Thanks!

16. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

17. Madness

Yep I was reading that thread as well; I'm thinking of the Amperex 7308 (go big or go home), but will have to save up for those.

Jelloalien likes this.
  18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I used them in a Schiit Lyr 2 headphone amp. I didn't try that many different tubes (which is to say I took out the cheap stock ones and put in the Mullards), but I don't think I liked them very much. I honestly think the only Mullard tubes I like are the military, CV4xxx kind. With limited experience, my preferred 6DJ8 are Amperex/Philips and the Philips JAN.

IanL likes this.
  19. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Got mine this week. Paired with a CineMag 3440AH SUT things are sounding pretty wonderful. Much more presence to the music, instruments sound more natural, bass is tighter and cleaner. Removed any bit of graininess I was getting with my old phono stage. I'm really impressed with this little box after the first few hours of listening. And this with the stock tubes...damn.

20. DanBNash

DanBNash Forum Resident

I rolled in some NOS Telefunken 6922's and really enjoy it.

21. RJPDX

RJPDX Forum Resident

Very nice description, and exactly how I feel now that I have a good amount of hours on my Gold Lions. Not a night and day difference with the stock tubes, but definitely an improvement on my system. And since I'm pretty tight with a buck, I doubt that I'll ever hear any exotic, NOS tubes, so I'll just try to be happy with the great sounds I'm hearing now.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  22. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Where is a good place to get a matched pair of the genalex Gold Lion 6922 gold pins at this time. I have a budgie on the way and want to try these....I have a gold lion 12ax7 in the preamp section of my cronys magnum 2 and I really like it there.....

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Personally, I'd suggest you get some NOS tubes if you can swing it.

From what I've read, the ones to get for this preamp are the Amperex 7308 with Globe logo as shown here.

Amperex 7308 vintage gold pin!

However, for the specific tubes you mentioned, the same place offers them here.

Gold Lion E88CC / 6922

24. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

25. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

33na3rd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.