Parks Audio Budgie Tube Phono Preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leviethan, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Did you ever get a different power supply for your budgie? Where can a better power supply that would work with the budgie be purchased?

2. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

No, I gave up on that. The Budgie sounds fine to me as is, and I also don't use it at the moment, I have a new Tavish Vintage stage that I am playing with.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

oregonalex,

How do you like the Tavish? I've been listening to my "Classic" and I have to say VERY impressed.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. honestabe316

Oregonalex,

If you do give a review of your Tavish, would you kindly compare it to the budgie please....just a few words to help me understand the differences.

Thanks

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

For those of you wondering about the Budgie, fast forward to 10:40

6. honestabe316

I got an email from Shannon yesterday praising the new telefunken E88CC 'Black Diamond' tubes for use in the budgie. Has anyone had experience with this combo?

7. honestabe316

I got the new telefunken E88CC black diamonds and they have been if for a month. I really dig them...money well spent. I had gotten a pair of Genalex Gold lion 6922's from jim mcshane before the telefunkens and I dont know what else to say other than there was something wrong with them or one of them.
    I thought I was having feedback from my speakers because If i turned up the volume on my amp, i would get this terrible feedback sound and the tonearm and cartridge would actually bounce of the vinyl....so i pulled the genalex and threw in the telefunkens and all was better.
    The only weird thing was when i turned off my amp and listened through my headphones through my wooaudio wa2 and budgie with the 6922's I didnt get the feedback...it was only when running things through my integrated Amp and budgie th I had issues.

8. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Sounds like the Gold Lion tubes (or one of them) are too microphonic for the phono stage.

9. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Two months ago I picked up a matched pair of 6922 JAN PHILIPS from Tube Depot during their 50% sale. I requested a high gain pair with low microphonics. The verdict: not worth the money. They are really no different from the stock EH, which I just put back in for comparison a few days ago. Do I have to spend over a $100 to get some improvement?

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Well, it might be that you are attempting to fix something that is not broken?

Somehow, tubes have become this magical, automatic amplifier self improvement fix.

When in reality, this is not the case. Sure, you can change the sound signature in a tube amp by rolling the tubes. Her, the word I am using is "change". Change can be for the better or for the worse, or in your example, nothing much at all.

If your amplifier is voiced to sound as it should, using modern tubes, than it might be best to stay with modern tubes.

EH tubes sometimes get a bad rap simply because they are stock tubes. That is really not an objective assessment of their performance.

I have amps with stock EH tubes and don't have any issue with the sound signature of that amp. As long as the amp sounds good with the tubes that came with it, I am fine with that.

I don't see anything wrong with trying other tubes. But, I don't automatically assume that they are going to work a minor miracle and suddenly elevate my amp to a whole new level of performance.

There are a lot of Budgie amps out there. They appear to be a well thought of $400 tube phono preamp. Maybe, that is what they are?

It may be that further "improvement" will necessitate, moving on up the ladder a rung or two, by investing in another phono pre?

11. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

What phono pre(s) would you recommend as the next step (or two) up from the Budgie? Either tube or SS? I have the Budgie and am happy with it, but I suffer from terminal upgrade-itis, and there is no cure, only treatment.

Wasabi and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Dr. J.

Thanks for your input. And I think you're right, at least about the Budgie. I have had two cheap Chi-Fi tube amps in the house recently and tube rolling did make more of a change in the sound signature.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. honestabe316

I totally agree with your assessment and it's why when I've tube rolled with the budgie I havent spent an exorbitant amount for tubes...my thoughts are that based on my amp and turntable and cart, that maybe a Manley Chinook, fosgate Signature, or Rogue ares would be a better match with my setup... I like the budgie a lot I really do but the set up I have would most likely be more synergystically balanced with a tube phono that could give a little more than the budgie. Maybe I'm wrong but I have no way to audition any of these I've mentioned....just user reveiws which nly go so far

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You can always ask @Kiko1974 for advice on cheap tubes but I personally have never found the stuff from Russia, Japan, or China to sound any good which are usually the types he experiments with and prefers the sound of. Tubes from the US and Europe fare much better, IMHO, but of course, sound is quite subjective.

The very best tubes for these (and many other) phono preamps are the Amperex 7308. Finding a pair at a cheap price can be tough. I just bought one for $150 and that is considered pretty cheap. Having said that, the Amperex 6DJ8 tubes have a somewhat similar sound, although they won't last as long and can be more prone to microphonics and noise. That is the trade-off when you go down a line. You can get lucky and end up with two 6DJ8 tubes devoid of any heard noise/microphonics but in reality, it's a crap shoot.

Be aware there are MANY models and lines of each tube from each manufacturer. Different years will lead to different factories or manufacturing processes which will invariably change the sound. There are also TONS of rebranded tubes so if it says Amperex, it doesn't necessarily mean it was made by them. Sometimes, tubes branded as "Made in USA" are in fact made elsewhere and some stating "Made in Holland" are made in the US.

For the aforementioned Amperex 6DJ8 tubes, for instance, there are those labeled as PQ, Bugle Boy, some without these terms, some made in Germany, Holland, and the US, some with A frames, some with halo ghetters, etc. You get the picture. The only way to know for sure is by examining the internal structure of the tube which, unless you're quite familiar with terms like "mica" or "ghetter", won't mean much.

The halo ghetter Amperex 6DJ8 without Bugle Boy or PQ labels, made in Holland, with the Orange Globe logo are very good. The Bugle Boy and PQ tend to have a more forward sound which I personally don't quite enjoy but I know is very popular. They also tend to be cheaper. You can find some on eBay for cheap but again, you take your chances when not ordering from a reputable dealer. Maybe they'll be terrific ; maybe they will be noisy, microphonic, and/or the readings presented in the auction were optimistic or done on a tube tester which had not been calibrated.

You're right in replacing the EH tubes. They are utterly awful through and through. No EH tube I've ever tried has ever sounded good in any device under any circumstance. They are cheap and plentiful which is why they tend to be popular with tube gear manufacturers but it's merely to present to the buyer a ready-to-use product. To really unlock the potential of that gear, NOS tubes are (unfortunately) the only way to go. Most of the time (but not always), it ends up costing more to go that route, but the change is immediate and obvious.

Recently, I helped a member who was planning on getting rid of his EAR 834P because he had heard a solid-state preamp sound much better. Unsurprisingly, he had current production tubes in it. After a couple of pages where he expressed his skepticism about the possibility of NOS tubes impacting the sound to such a degree, he eventually decided to try my advice out as he found a dealer willing to provide a full refund if he was not entirely satisfied. The change was huge and he is now keeping the 834P as a result. So yes, it is a great upgrade and one that has a big impact on the presentation, soundstage, frequencies, etc.

Food for thought.

15. SandAndGlass

I have not heard it, but I was considering a budgie at one point and then I decided that I did want to step up to something that was not an entry level tube product, since one of my systems is all tube and I had a nice turntable.

I had decided, that, at its price point, and judging from the positive reviews, the Tavish was the phono pre that I had decided to order. Because my regular tube preamp is a 6SN7 based unit, I was going to go for the Vintage.

Then, a nice Decware ZP3 came available on the forum and I went that route.

From everything that I looked at, the Tavish is a nice phono pre and I might yet have one built.

I generally like a tube amp with a turntable, but SS amps are nice too.

I later acquired a Rega upgraded RP6 and I bought a used older model Musical Fidelity X-LPS SS phone pre, to use with the Exact MM on the Rega and it is a very nice sounding phono preamp that was only a $300 retail unit when it was new.

Since that time, they have made other newer versions, that I would bet, are nice sounding phono preamps and very reasonably priced units.

One of our members just sold a Musical Fidelity V90-LPS brand new MM/MC phono stage in black, for $135. I don't think you can beat that!

For the money, Emotiva makes a nice phono pre. I have the model that is in an RCA input switch box, with a remote. But, the stand alone unit is under $200 and will do MC also.

The forum favorite SS phono pre appears to be the Lounge LCR. Fairly recently, we have learned that it is available also with upgrade modifications just a little bit more.

Truthfully, I might be happy with one of the Musical Fidelity units or the Lounge. But, since I have part of the system dedicated to tubes, I think that I would opt for the Tavish.

16. Dr. J.

But truthfully, these models are not going to best the Budgie: they may sound different but I don't think these entry or mid-level units will offer an upgrade. I have the MF and had a Parasound Zphono, and the Budgie is a much more sophisticated preamp, especially in regard to resolving micro details and timbre. If it were me and I wanted to upgrade, I would save enough money, sell the Budgie and get a Sutherland.

17. Strat-Mangler

Some dealers will offer at-home auditions. Similarly, some online dealers will allow you to return the auditioned gear for a full refund (minus shipping). Others will impose a restocking fee. Shop around and see what is available to you. There is plenty of terrific gear in the UK which is actually far cheaper on your end than if imported to these shores so you could theoretically get higher quality for your money.

Having said that, bear in mind that upgrading to a nice MC cart is more likely to yield better results. It's a fine cart you have but there is better in the land of MC carts. By upgrading your phono preamp, your cart will be holding you back, IMHO. You'll also have to ensure that if/when you do go the MC cart route that you properly match it to the preamp. For instance, the Chinook can only go to 60db. A forum member who's a good friend recently upgraded his cart which outputs so little that the 60db of the Chinook aren't enough. From my calculations, he needs about 68db for it to work properly. His only recourse is to either buy a SUT or a new phono preamp capable of delivering more power. Just be mindful of this.

As for auditioning these specific phono preamps, that would be a tall order. We're roughly in the same situation since in Canada, there are no dealers for most brands regularly mentioned here. Either that or the new units have inflated prices. In the end, you have to take a chance since all the reviews in the world won't matter one iota if your ears aren't happy with the sound. I bought a Chinook (unavailable in Canada) and wasn't thrilled with it. Ended up selling it to another Canadian who is happy with the same sound (see what I mean?).

18. SandAndGlass

I would look into the Decware ZP3. My ZP3 is KILLER! I don't think that anyone has a product in its price range that can best it.

I have three Decware products now and I am very impressed with all of them. Decware is into low and medium power tube amps. They do a nice job with their product's.

19. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

I love my Budgie Hybrid, but if I ever did upgrade I really like the Decware ZP3 (which is twice what I paid for the Hybrid). Of course if I upgraded to the Decware I'd then turn around and have to upgrade my amp ... so I'm not going to entertain the notion.

20. SandAndGlass

As I commented, I prefer tubes for a phono pre. But, that is just my overall preference.

I did buy my MF X-LPS just as a temporary hold over SS amp to use with my recently acquired Rega turntable.

I will tell you something. It is as much of a surprise to me as anyone. My Rega is a upgraded RP6 with the Exact MM cart. It is up against a Vinyl Nirvana restored and upgraded Thorens TD-160 Super, with a Rega/Moth RB202 arm and upgraded Cardas cabling. I have the Ortofon 2M Bronze and Black cartridges on it and it is connected to the Decware ZP3 tube phono pre.

This being said, I have to admit, that the X-LPS holds it own against some very nice equipment. I have to give it credit. This is coming from someone who doesn't have any particular affinity for SS phono preamps.

The Emotiva is another SS phono pre that should not be discounted due to its price. It is also a nice sounding phono pre. I doubt that there is anything on the market that can touch it for under $200. Plus, it will handle MC carts. If someone has a cart like a Denon DL103 cartridge and needs a phono pre that can accommodate a MC cart, it is a product that can't be bested at its price.

There are some nice SS phono preamps out there. The Tavish for the money, looks like a nice U/G from the Budgie.

The thing about tube gear in general, is that it takes some $$$ to get a quality resolving tube amp of any sort. SS amps can offer some nice alternatives for a lot less money. But again, it is the right amp for the right job.

21. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

The Decware ZP3 seems like it would be a great upgrade to my system. I need to do more research on this thing.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. honestabe316

I have an upgraded Cronus Magnum 2 (had rogue perform capacitor upgrade that they dont aflxvertise), I have a Clearaudio Performance DC with the Clarify carbon tonearm with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. Although the CM2 has a built in SS MM phono stage, I opted to get a tube stage, hence the Budgie. I now know I prefer a tubed phonostage, but....considering my system minus the "Budgie" ( Which I respect), using an analogy, am I running the equivalent of an "Oldsmobile Delta 88" with a 4-Cylinder engine?
    I am a 70/30 vinyl/Digital listener.
    Would say an allnic H-1210, Manley w11q1Chinook, Decware ZP3 or a Rogue Ares be a possibly better synergistic or performance based choice?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

All depends on the sound you prefer and are going after.

Bear in mind the Allnic 1201 will be updated with the 1202 which is being released very very soon so prices for the 1201 (I suspect) should go down.

Did you read the detailed post I took the time to write earlier today?

24. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I have attempted to replace my Hybrid Budgie with a Rogue Ares a Chinook and a Quicksilver Phono Stage and they all were sent packing back to their sellers

dolsey01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. Zatoichi

Zatoichi Forum Resident

When you find the right marriage, IE: Stylus, turntable, cables & tubes, the Budgie is stellar.
    Hopefully the journey won't be that expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.