Parliament-Funkadelic....where to start?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave D, Jul 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

Can someone please recommend what album (vinyl) would be a good start for P-Funk? I would like to get into some old funk (as well as Ohio Players, Tower of Power) and I'd like to start with some of these guys.
    Thanks

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Do you want funky, weird/psych or one of the "hit" albums?

I personally like the weird wild stuff. "Standing on The Virge Of Getting It On", "Maggot Brain", "Uncle Jam Wants You"..."One Nation Under A Groove", and one of my all time weirdo-favorites "Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow".

Then for Parliament, I think theres a 78 min compilation that takes care of the hits on Casablanca....

But I believe there's an import box that takes care of the complete output for Funkadelic. I saw it in a shop once, and was surprised how they put all the records together in one set.... Just looking at Amazon, they have an import for Funkadelic as a compilation. But I wouldn't go that route ;)

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

This is on a double CD but I like the songs and mastering.

Funkadelic - Music For Your Mother - Funkadelic 45s

Westbound Records - 2WBCD-1111

36 tracks, 10 Mono, 26 Stereo, naught 5.1

1992 Ace Records, Ltd.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. audio

audio New Member

Maggot Brain :thumbsup:

5. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Mothership Connection is the most consistently funky and it also has "hits," making it the best starting point, IMO.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Parliament: I started with "Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome.

Ohio Players: Their first three albums "Skin Tihjt", "Fire", and "Honey are essential. BTW, "Fire" and "Honey" are available on DTS DVD. "HOney" was originally mixed as surround anyway.

Slave: The best of on Rhino is great!

JAMES BROWN: Needs no introduction

Bar-kays: any of their 70s or 80s albums are great.

7. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

Didn't the Ohio Players release five or so albums before Skin Tight, including my two favorites Pain and Pleasure? :confused:

I started with Motor-Booty Affair for Parliament and found that enjoyable but Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome is really loaded with hits!

Nice picks on all accounts!

8. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

With 'Maggot Brain' you can't go wrong. That album has some wonderful stuff on it. The first album 'Funkadelic' has it's moments too, and 'Free Your Mind' is for those on Acid:)
    For Parliament, check out Mothership Connection first.

9. Grant

Yes, they did. But, except for "Funky Worm", I was totally unaware of their Westbound material, which is hard to find, especially on CD.

Making the move to a major label (Mercury) was the best thing they did! *Something* they did when they started recording for Mercury just made it all come together. For the next three years they ruled the funk world until disco did them in. They didn't quit, though, they released about an album a year on many various labels throughout the 80s and 90s once their Polygram contract ran out. But, nothing will ever match the stuff they did 1974-1977, not even their work as the Falcons during the 50s and 60s. And, they are STILL making albums!

10. Grant

Parliamen's "Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome" is one of the most whacked-out funk albums I have ever heard. It contains the hit "Flashlight". I love it!

T-Connection is terrific funk group that recorded for both Capitol and the T.K. distrubuted Dash" records.

Let's not forget Raydio (Ray Parker Jr.) His first two albums "Raydio" and "Rock On" has some of the best funk ever waxed. It's a shame his work is still ignored except for that damned "Ghostbuster" song. None of his albums have been released on CD, either. He is basically a one-man band, even doing his own engineering and mixing. He learned his chops working with Stevie Wonder.

11. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Personally, I'd start with "Cosmic Slop" which has always been my personal favorite.

12. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

"Tear The Roof Off" is a 2 CD Parliament anthology that's a good start. Don't know if it's still available. As for the rest, the above recommendations are great.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.