Pass Labs - What's the deal?????????

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GMav, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMav

GMav Senior Member Thread Starter

If you look on Pass Labs Home Page, it says:

Welcome to Pass Labs

DEDICATED TO TWO CHANNEL AUDIO

Now, I really like that idea, but apparently (and possibly) they may be a bunch of hypocrites.

They manufacture 2......count 'em 2 MULTI-CHANNEL amplifiers.......:confused:

The X3 (3 channel) and the X5 (5 channel)

Now, correct me if I am wrong.............I was under the impression that 2 channel audio was either 1 STEREO (2 channel) amp, or 2 Monoblock (1 channel) amps.

Maybe they have dipped a little too much into the Kool-Aid?????.....:righton:

2. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I don't see a problem. They're just trying to address the needs of their customers. Their primary interest is two-channel, but they supply multichannel gear because their customers want them. The real growth is on multichannel home theatre, so manufacturers ignore it at their peril.

Dennis Had of Cary Audio has said much the same thing. Doesn't like multichannel, but if the market demands it he'll deliver the best product he can.

3. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Nelson Pass is active in the forums on diyaudio.com... I believe his email address is in his profile. Why not go over there and pose the question to him?

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

"Dedicated" doesn't necessarily imply exclusivity.

The Good Guy likes this.
  5. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Don't be disrespectful to one of the nicest guys in the business....

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. There is really a dearth of two-channel, stereo-only products in the consumer market space. So, a lot of high-end manufacturers like to trumpet their dedication to stereo, 2-channel audio. I see no contradiction with being "dedicated" to two channel audio and, at the same time, offering multichannel products for those other consumers who want them.

7. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

AGREED.

8. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

What's the point of this thread? :confused:

9. GMav

I was not being disrespectful. I leveled no personal attack at any one individual, by name. I was just trying to get some clarification. If I offended anyone, I apologize........that was not my intention....:righton:

10. GMav

The "point" was trying to get some clarification........:righton:

11. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Sorry, I don't get your point. What is there to clarify, the meaning of dedication?
    Perhaps it's you that's been dipping into the koolaid. :D

12. GMav

I guess what surprised me was their home page statement that they are "dedicated to TWO CHANNEL audio", yet offer MULTI-CHANNEL products, as well. Perhaps it was the "two channel" inclusion, that I found perplexing...:confused: Perhaps if would have been worded differently to include multi-channel??????????

Yes, Nelson Pass is a very nice person. I don't know him personally, so I am basing my opinion of him on what I have read about him, and what others that do know him have said. I would never level a personal attack on him.

As for others assuming that I "dip into the kool-aid"????? Personally, I never touch the stuff...............:D :righton: :laugh:

P.S. In hindsight, I believe the "hypocrite" and "kool-aid" comments from me, were a bit harsh. I wish to apologize to everyone at Pass Labs, and anybody here who may have been offended by that. It was not my intention to create any ill will.

13. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Nelson Pass designs the best-sounding non-transformer-coupled solid-state components around. :)

Smooooth sound.

Ron P. likes this.
  14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

And he's very generous to the DIY community. The schematic's from all the amplifier's his Firstwatt business are all released to the general public as are the schematics from his Aleph series Pass Labs amps under that provision that you can't build them and sell them for profit. If you do, he will understandably sue you.

15. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I second that. I think his passion is in two channel amplification. He is really busy with his First Watt line. But as mentioned above, the masses want the stuff and everyone has to eat.

While I may be biased, I use some of his older Aleph products, I had the chance to speak with him, by accident, one day and I was floored he answered the phone and explained to me a question I had for one of his employees.

As that employee was home tending to family matters he was gracious enough to go beyond merely answering my question and I was sort of in shock when the call was finished.

Their policy, hence his, regarding the repair of out of warranty products is enough to persuade me to stick with his stuff.

Ron P. likes this.
  16. I don't know too much about Pass Labs and this thread caused me to check out their website. I don't know how the stuff sounds, but it is some of the most *beautiful* gear I've ever seen!

17. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I've had a number of Nelsons designs from the old Threshold to the current F3. I've always liked his amps a lot. Very smooth and NOT grainy...

Haven't heard the big amps though!

18. Shakey

Shakey New Member

My Aleph 5 is a Single Ended Class A amp putting out 60wpc@8ohms and 90wpc@4ohms. It plays louder than my previous McCormack DNA 0.5 and it sounds much better.
    In fact, my old dog Mars would always leave the listening room when I played my stereo with the McCormack, but stayed when I switched to the Pass Aleph 5.
    I always attributed that to the different designs, SE Class A vs. PP Class A/B.
    Thinking the distortion with the Pass was more consonant with the music and dissonant with the McCormack. Or Mars just went deaf. ;)

Ron P. likes this.
  19. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

I vote that Stax Fan has the best avatar ever. You have to click on it to get the whole show.

20. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

It's the Maidenform 36-D record cleaning system, highest rated on the market.

Ron P. likes this.
  21. russk

russk Forum Resident

Those First Watt amps are amazing. Never thought I would consider going solid state till I heard one. Just really first rate.

Ron P. likes this.
  22. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

I gotta get me one of those!

fuse999 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.