"Patsy Cline - Greatest Hits" to be released on Analogue Productions SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

How does the gold CD sound?

2. deckeda

deckeda Forum Resident

I have the gold CD from 1988 and think it sounds good. Warm and clear and clean. The main catalog # for it is MCAD-12 (that is, without the R yours has.) And thanks for the tip; I'll have to pick up the 2003 remaster up and compare.

In 1988 there was an LP with the same ersatz "1950s" cover as the gold CD, but unfortunately was a digital remaster.

3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You bet...

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Patsy Cline Story is in print in Canada to this very day.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Good info. about that Wal-Mart CD. Maybe I'll get it to see how it sits with me. The only Patsy Cline CD I own is the Sweet Dreams soundtrack.

6. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I'm on the fence about this one. I have the Patsy Cline box set - which I've always thought - and read - was pretty definitive as far as sound quality goes. I also have the 12 Greatest Hits Gold CD. Sometimes it's nice to have a simple comp you can grab quik.

A couple of questions:

1) The track list on 12 Greatest Hits is identical to Greatest Hits, but the artwork is different. Which picture was on the original LP release?

2) Anyone have the same two CDs I have (12 Greatest Hits Gold & Greatest Hits)? Is that "$5 at WalMart" GH better than the 12GH Gold?

7. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

If I recall right (it's been a few years) the HDCD encoding on the standard CD is of the type that doesn't quite sound right without HDCD decoding, sounding a bit compressed (sort of, hard to describe). It is really good though.

I agree The Patsy Cline Story would have been preferable but perhaps the licensing situation wasn't so do-able.

8. apileocole

1) The green cover.

2) The Ludwig CD? In my humble, yes.

9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I have the Patsy Cline box set & a few other budget CD's so I'll keep checking back to see what is said about this new one. Back when Steve did his "From The Original Master Tapes" sets I was hoping he'd do a Patsy Cline set too.

10. apileocole

While I can't say as to "definitive," the box set does sound good to me.

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I also have the Patsy Cline MCA box set and it's really good sounding, especially if you're looking for a LOT of Patsy. Ludwig's "Green" CD (found at Walmart for $5) is the clear winner, at the moment, in my opinion, of the best sounding Patsy big "hits". "Walking After Midnight", by the way, is a later re-record on the green album and is a better take of the song, than the original. I personally don't care for the sound of that MCA GOLD DISC and it's nowhere near as good as that $5 dollar Walmart Green CD, but naturally, I've hung onto it, for it's "collectibility".

I forgot to add that I too would have much rather had "The Patsy Cline Story" from A.P., than this one. It would have made it worth my while to invest if that set would have been done instead.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the info. Perhaps this CD has peak extension. I have Denon universal players with HDCD decoding in both of my systems, so I'm covered. :)

I guess I need to go to Wal-Mart. :sigh: ;)

13. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have the box set and like it for what it is, but it is sprawling and sometimes ya just want the hits....I can't understand why there hasn't been a mono collection. Both stereo and mono mixes are nice, btw...

14. Samfield

Samfield Forum Resident

I'm in for the 200 gram vinyl. I think Analogue Productions typically does such a nice job with these types of releases, the sound, the presentation, packaging, etc.

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Pre-order is in for the record. AP has been doing a nice job on these releases as pointed out.

16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

New caption for the SACD and the vinyl....

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Wow, I might order one of these.

18. apileocole

Wow that does sound interesting. :)

19. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Amazing indeed. No reason to avoid pulling the trigger. I´m in..

20. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Very nice ! :righton:

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Just to clarify....the caption I mentioned in post #41 is on Acoustic Sounds' webpage for this SACD, which you can find a link to in my original post (#1).

22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

That's awesome! I'm in.

23. deckeda

deckeda Forum Resident

Quick update. My "green Ludwig Wal-Mart" CD (MCAD-12R) finally arrived (from an Amazon seller brand new for a few bucks; Wally World doesn't sell it any more). I concur it clearly bests the 1988 CD (MCAD-12).

I'm looking forward to learning how the SACD or new LP sounds. Wonder how the 2003 24/96 transfer used to make that CD would sound, if they ever release that. The upcoming straight-transfer stuff should be great but I'd never count out Ludwig.

24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I suppose with the 28 tracks on Patsy Cline Story, AP would be forced to charge you $50-60 for the disc just to cover the licensing. It would have been worth every penny, though!

John Carsell likes this.
  25. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member

VERY EXCITED FOR THIS! Finally we get Patsy on heavy vinyl and SACD! It's well-past time for such an undertaking.

I wonder about the re-arranged song order, and if it has to do with the mechanics of the vinyl pressing itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.