Patsy Cline: On the Record

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicfan1963, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicfan1963

musicfan1963 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I actually don't mind the effact in general. Skeeter Davis is one of my favorite other female artists from this period and she was well know for dubbing her own harmony vocals. However, specifically on Yes, I Understand, I think the version without the harmony is the stronger of the two. But that's just me :)

2. musicfan1963

Woops....almost forgot:

Greatest Hit - Gotta Lotta Rhythm in My Soul
    Greatest Gem - Yes, I Understand

.crystalised. likes this.
  3. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

I would appreciate the compromise of harmony for the chorus only, instead of throughout. But I love this track and I'll take it any way that I can. The arrangement is a fantastic "rock shuffle" and the Jordanaires provide excellent support for Patsy's understated and "matter-of-fact" delivery.

musicfan1963 likes this.
  4. .crystalised.

Here's Patsy's 4 Star royalty statement for domestic (US) Decca sales from January-June 1960 (units / rate / royalty):

Patsy Cline (EP) – 98 / 0.01 / $0.98
    Patsy Cline (LP) – 228 / 0.04 / $9.12
    Walkin' After Midnight – 532 / 0.01 / $5.32
    A Poor Man's Roses – 532 / 0.01 / $5.32
    Today, Tomorrow and Forever – 164 / 0.01 / $1.64
    Try Again – 164 / 0.01 / $1.64
    Three Cigarettes In An Ashtray – 185 / 0.01 / $1.85
    A Stranger In My Arms – 185 / 0.01 / $1.85
    Stop The World (And Let Me Off) – 153 / 0.01 / $1.53
    Walking Dream – 153 / 0.01 / $1.53
    Dear God – 92 / 0.01 / $0.92
    He Will Do For You – 92 / 0.01 / $0.92
    Yes, I Understand – 2,026 / 0.01 / $20.26
    Cry Not For Me – 2,026 / 0.01 / $20.26
    Gotta Lot of Rhythm In My Soul – 4,024 / 0.01 / $40.24
    I'm Blue Again – 4,024 / 0.01 / $40.24

Her 1959 singles were selling. Perhaps "Gotta Lot Of Rhythm In My Soul" was bubbling under the charts.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    NapalmBrain likes this.
  5. musicfan1963

I agree! Harmony on the chorus without the verses would be ideal. In later songs with the dubbed harmony, there are versus without the effect. But I like both versions of "Yes, I Understand"- just wanted to make it known which versions of the two would be my preference.

Although the version without the harmony is available on LP, has it been included on any known CD releases?

6. musicfan1963

You'll have to stick around for the conversation then! This song was recorded in 1962 and so we will be talking about it soon :)

7. musicfan1963

Very interesting to see (for perspective) just how much "Walkin' After Midnight" was still selling in 1960. And although they didn't make the official charts, it's evident her songs in 1959 were popular with certain specific markets/regions of the country. Another reason these records may have been selling well could have been from the loyal fan base she'd developed and maintained through TV and personal appearances - despite the lack of radio airplay her songs were experiencing around this time.

8. .crystalised.

Only the CD reissue of the original LP. Both the mono and stereo editions of the LP use the non-harmony version; the mono edition is just a fold-down of the stereo mix. The harmony version (i.e. the single version) was never mixed to stereo.

9. .crystalised.

The album which includes a non-harmony "Yes I Understand" is Here's Patsy Cline.

[​IMG]

It's also the only issue of a stereo "How Can I Face Tomorrow," presented without harmony in both editions.

greelywinger likes this.
  10. Flybynight88

Flybynight88 Forum Resident

Speaking of versions earlier..The 1961 walkin after midnight might be the only song of patsys I dont much care for. Perhaps owen b wanted to keep the song selling since it was obviously still popular and suggested that patsy remake?

Terje Morewood likes this.
  11. .crystalised.

It was common for artists to re-record earlier hits in stereo. "Walkin' After Midnight" and "A Poor Man's Roses" were redone for that reason, but instead of recreating the original arrangements, the songs received fresh interpretations.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  12. .crystalised.

This session produced the front sides of Patsy's 1959 singles.

"Yes, I Understand" is a noteworthy performance. The guitars are slightly overdriven; this crafty effect adds a little fuzz to give a hint of rock and roll with its pleasing distortion. The arrangement could be termed a soft country shuffle, and its wide appeal prevents the record from sounding too regional. If the course remained uncertain, at least "Yes, I Understand" demonstrates progress. Things were falling into place, and it was only a matter of time. But was she country? Was she pop? Was she rock and roll? Today, we know that Patsy was a little bit of everything.

A major third harmony was overdubbed throughout, and this intentional effect is heard on the single. A few years later, the master was mixed to a narrow stereo drowned in reverb and reissued on Here's Patsy Cline. The wrong tape was used and the harmony vocal was unintentionally omitted. After one hears the recording without its overdub component, one appreciates Patsy's emphatic performance. Rather than embellish as usual, she gives a straightforward reading without growls, sobs or yodels. This decision guaranteed the steady foundation required for a harmony track. The understated effort was premeditated for technical considerations, although it bears the same effect as the artistic sensibilities heard on later hits. The Jordanaires deliver excellent support on this number, and prove to be an indispensable mesh on a great Patsy Cline record.

Perhaps "Gotta Lot of Rhythm In My Soul" is sequel to "Let The Teardrops Fall." The arrangements are complimentary, and the lyrics are compatible. (The subject faces rejection from the romantic interest in "Teardrops" but decides to forget her troubles and party until dawn with a new companion in "Rhythm"). The tune is carefree, reckless and spirited, and it unfolds at a rate that a listener perceives to be faster than its actual tempo. Although recorded in multi-track, "Gotta Lot of Rhythm" was not included on a Decca album, therefore a stereo mix was never prepared. The song is already exciting, but the expansive backdrop of stereo would provide an even greater presentation, alas.

Greatest Hit - Gotta Lot of Rhythm In My Soul
    Greatest Gem - Yes, I Understand

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  13. musicfan1963

As you may know, the 1961 remake of WAM is very different in tempo, instrumentation and Patsy's vocal delivery. Patsy's confidence and abilities as a singer shine in the remake, however, the song itself is a forlorn blues ballad where the singer strolls along the side of the road in the wee hours of the morning. For that reason, the original 1957 hit version, with it's slower tempo and smokier qualities, more accurately captures the essence of the song. (Although the 1961 remake holds a special place in my heart as it was the first Patsy Cline song I ever heard.)

14. musicfan1963

Well said. In hindsight, "Yes, I Understand" was one of the songs that pushed Patsy's recording artistry forward. It would be interesting to note which of her earlier 4 Star hits demonstrated the most progress in that respect versus which ones were simply meant to blend into the fold of existing material. In re-reviewing the sessions we've already discussed, it seems like many of her "Greatest Gems" could be considered as songs that progressed either her artistry or the Nashville Sound, forward.

And I love that Patsy was a little bit of everything. If one created a visual "map" to represent different genres of music and placed artists who were hallmarks of their specific genres on the far outer edges of the page with crossover artists appearing more gradually toward the center, Patsy might as well be smack dab in the middle of the page.

15. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

About 10 years ago I purchased first pressings of Patsy's albums (the 3 released during her lifetime) with original covers. Bought them all at once from an Ebay seller. I treasure them. Also have "That's How the Heartaches Begin" and the Greatest Hits lps. Obviously I'm missing all her non-lp output. Have a few questions...appox how many non-lp tunes are there?..what is the best way to obtain these? prefer vinyl, but open to CD.

Finally, just watched the PBS special, Patsy Cline-American Masters last night. Awesome show!

spinout66 and .crystalised. like this.
  16. Flybynight88

Well to each his own. I just like the bluesier version, and it may have been you that said..country blues was her wheelhouse. I did recently see a live on tv version with owen bradley on the keys with hank garland and grady martin on twin lead guitars. Patsy sings well.
    YouTube

17. Flybynight88

I certainly agree that she could sing about any style. Im sure she would have been relevant at least through the 60's. It would have been a great to see her put out say a blues lp as I think she could have done anything that etta james could do....or a country/bluegrass lp and even standards. She was so versatile....hell, she might even have been invited to Woodstock by 1969....lol.

Terje Morewood and musicfan1963 like this.
  18. .crystalised.

All of Patsy's masters are available on vinyl except for the 1956 recording of "I Don't Wanta." The best means to avoid duplication is to collect the singles.

But if you prefer LPs to singles, the Everest albums will get you most of the 4 Star material, although quality is inconsistent. Avoid the "stereo" Everest pressings.

You'll also need A Portrait of Patsy Cline and The Patsy Cline Story to get the rest of the Decca material on LP. One missing number is the remake of "You're Stronger Than Me," but that is available on the MCA compilation Songwriters Tribute, although the single might be a better option than buying an album just for one performance.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    McLover, musicfan1963 and ted321 like this.
  19. .crystalised.

@ted321 you'd also need Here's Patsy Cline for "How Can I Face Tomorrow" and the non harmony "Yes, I Understand" and then if you find all of the Everest albums you'd just be missing two tracks - "A Church, A Courtroom and Then Goodbye" and the 1956 recording of "Come On In," both of which are available on singles and various artist LPs.

ted321 likes this.
  20. .crystalised.

These four Everest albums will get you all but three 4 Star tracks previously mentioned:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Skip A Legend, since it just duplicates tracks found on the other albums:

[​IMG]

Golden Hits and Encores sound exceptionally good.

For others who may use these posts as a guide, I should clarify that the Everest discs do not include Patsy's January 1960 masters. Three are included on That's How A Heartache Begins and the fourth is found on Here's Patsy Cline.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    greelywinger and musicfan1963 like this.
  21. Terje Morewood

Terje Morewood Forum Resident

THERE IS A 45 RPM A COLLECTOR HAS AND WONT RELEASE CAUSE IT IS IN A FRAMED GLASS CASE OF HER SONG SHE WROTE CALLED "WICKED LOVE "That patsy recorded and and cowrote.. does anybody have any info on that ?

22. musicfan1963

Date: July 3, 1959
    Location: Bradley Studios, 804 16th Avenue South, Nashville TN.
    Owen Bradley (pdr), Patsy Cline (v), The Jordanaires (bkv), Hank Garland, Grady Martin (eg), Floyd Cramer (p), Bob Moore (b), Buddy Harman (d)

Session information courtesy of patsyclinediscography.com

Life's Railway To Heaven - 2:51 (M.E. Abbey, Charles Davis Tillman)
    Just A Closer Walk With Thee - 2:46 (Traditional)

The lack of commercial success Patsy’s recordings experienced in the first half of 1959 must have been extremely disappointing given the particular enthusiasm and high hopes she had for “Yes, I Understand”. So it was no wonder her disappointment and frustration reach a zenith in July 1959.

Typically, prior to a recording session, Patsy would receive a letter and package from 4 Star with a list of songs for her consideration. Along with the letter, a demo of each song would be included. From this list, Patsy would then pick the songs she felt were most appropriate for her to record.

popfan99 has shared 1 photo with you!

As the story goes, prior to the July 1959 sessions, Patsy receive a list of songs and demos for consideration and wasn’t happy with any of them. She felt she had already picked over the best songs 4 Star had to offer and was literally in tears when she showed up to Owen Bradley’s office empty handed. Rather than cancel the session altogether, Owen suggested they record a couple of gospel songs so Patsy could collect the nominal fee for the session since she desperately needed the income. Patsy agreed.

“Life’s Railway to Heaven” and “Just a Closer Walk With Thee” are very similar in feel and arrangement with “Life’s Railway to Heaven” being just a tad bit more somber. By this point, Patsy had performed these songs for years and was very comfortable with them. Although a hit record would have been preferred, she was likely happy to at least have a chance to record songs not owned by 4 Star and, as a result, she turns in an excellent performance. The arrangements of the tunes are plaintive with the Jordanaires prominently featured on both. Given the fact gospel music was their bread and butter before they achieved mainstream country and pop success as studio musicians, the Jordanaires sound right at home. As far as Patsy’s performance goes, in both songs, she demonstrates a maturity and restraint similar to “If I Could Only Stay Asleep” from the previous year. Her voice is moody and expressive which seems to be in step with the commercial uncertainty her career was experiencing. Though the results are solid, the songs would remain unreleased in Patsy’s lifetime.

Greatest Hit - Just A Closer Walk With Thee
    Greatest Gem – Just A Closer Walk With Thee

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  23. Terje Morewood

Well those songs she allready performed live in her conserts, so it was also natural for her to record them, because she knew them, but she forgot a verse on Just A Closer Walk with thee, when she sang it in studio

24. musicfan1963

It is said Patsy co-wrote "Wicked Love" in 1956 with Barbra Vaughn (a 4 Star writer). There is rumor of a demo Patsy may had recorded of the song. I wonder if the collector you mention has an acetate or demo pressing of "Wicked Love". If a recording exists, perhaps it will see the light of day eventually. Fingers crossed.

Terje Morewood likes this.
  25. Terje Morewood

Agreed, i will dive into it and see if i can reach him... fingers crossed .. i dont know if its a demo but its her singing, from what ive know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.