Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part One)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

What about Party Party?

Shak Cohen and Billy Budapest like this.
  2. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

COMING SOON!!!

So maybe May/June 2015?
    Or maybe Sept/Oct 2015?
    Or maybe Jan 2016 for George Martin's 90th birthday?

Arnie

4. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

I didn't think I'd have to wait for my 38th birthday to get 'I'll Give You A Ring' on CD, but I'm excited nonetheless! Woohooo!!!

theMess and Billy Budapest like this.
  5. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

I'm sure we'll get all the Wings/McCartney albums reissued and remastered, but I'm worried the remaining Wings albums won't come in the deluxe book format

6. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

On 364 days of the year, RAM is my favorite Macca album, but on one day a year, it is Tug of War. It is a sentimental favorite of mine; I remember my father buying the LP at the time of release and bringing it home to play it for the first time. The anticipation was very high. It had seemed like ages since the last Paul album came out (for that time) and it was Paul's "statement" album following the tragedy of 1980. It did not disappoint and is still a treasure that I enjoy from beginning to end. We also couldn't have known at the time, but it was the last album with Paul's voice completely undiminished from his Beatle days...

Shak Cohen, theMess and Hep Alien like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

April Fool's Day?? ... Just kidding... ;) Arnie

dvakman likes this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

So they could be just expanded editions, no deluxe stuff?

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Bloody annoying, more like. That's just a tease. If they're NOT planning on releasing them soon, don't tell us you are, MPL! :realmad:

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

If it gives you any comfort, there has been an Archive Collection release in every calendar year since (and including) 2010. So I'm sure we'll see something in 2015. Now if only they would adopt MY schedule (4 sets a year, in June and November), we could all be happy....

theMess and McCool like this.
  11. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I never thought i'd be so happy to see a card with album covers on it

theMess, Yorick and Paul H like this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Assuming these things get the deluxe book layout, I wonder how they'll layout the artwork on the front covers. We had a set pattern - for the first few releases - but WOA broke that, and V&M & SOS (or ATSOS, if you prefer) have moved away from the square album cover repro on the book's front covers. I'd think that Tug Of War could look quite good in rectangular form, but Pipes of Peace is such a bizarro album cover. His hand reaching around from the back cover? And that awkward pose of his? WTF? Has Paul ever gone on record regarding that cover? I'm just having a tough time picturing how they'd convert that artwork...

13. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I am looking forward to the Tug Of War reissue. Love that album! Pipes Of Peace as a whole does not grab me but I did like the singles.

Meddle likes this.
  14. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

so am i

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Me to

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yo soy.

I really wish "Red Rose Speedway" or "Back to the Egg" was getting the remastering love first, but whatever. I can wait. Maybe they can really mess with us and release "Broadstreet" and "Press to Play" next. There will be so much anticipation built for "Wild Life" that it will be greeted with open arms and ears for the very first time, officially deemed an unheralded McCartney classic by fans and press alike. A 5-star review in Rolling Stone will seal the deal. It will be seen as McCartney's equivalent of "Plastic Ono Band"; a raw and merciless piece of art and personal angst. "Mumbo" will become a new global anthem.

belardd and anthontherun like this.
  17. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

That is a great idea, Chief (as usual)!
    I had worked these up a few months back, but am still tinkering with both of them (not a fan of Average Person still):

1982 duets single: Ebony and Ivory (w/Stevie Wonder) 3:46/Get It (w/Carl Perkins) 2:35
    My fantasy Tug Of War LP (all songs by Paul McCartney, except where noted):
    Side One (21:03)
    Tug of War 4:22
    Take It Away 4:14
    Somebody Who Cares 3:19
    Sweetest Little Show 2:54; if a clean edit surfaces, it would segue nicely into...
    Rainclouds (Paul McCartney/Denny Laine) 3:47

Here Today 2:27
    Side Two (20:22)
    Ballroom Dancing 4:07
    The Pound is Sinking 2:54
    Wanderlust 3:49
    Keep Under Cover 3:05
    Dress Me Up as a Robber 2:41
    Ebony and Ivory (solo) 3:46

1983 MJ duets single: Say Say Say 3:55/The Man
    My fantasy Pipes Of Peace LP (all songs by Paul McCartney):
    Side One (19:33)
    Pipes of Peace 3:56
    Say Say Say 3:55
    Ode to a Koala Bear 3:45
    Not Such a Bad Boy 3:19
    No More Lonely Nights 4:38

Side Two (19:56)
    No Values 4:13
    So Bad 3:20
    We All Stand Together 4:22
    Average Person 4:33
    Through Our Love 3:28

18. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I was a bit confused as well as to why they changed up the book covers.. I liked the original ones.. It's a shame they won't all match now

Yorick likes this.
  19. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

AW THEY LOOK SO CUTE!

*Steps away slowly from the computer*:crazy:

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

You said it Arnie. Although this is an arbitrary system at best, in my opinion you have to look at the three red letter days on your calendar in terms of when they will likely be released.

Record Store Day 2015
    Father's Day 2015
    November 2015 (Winter Holidays)

21. Paul H

Oh, I'm sure we will. But when they mention a specific album or albums I start to get excited about getting that/those albums. Don't get me wrong, if we get two others I'll be happy but there'll still be that little part of me wondering about Tug of War and Pipes of Peace.

Yes. I mean, I want them to get this right: no missing bonus tracks, no wrong mixes, no mistakes in the artwork etc etc, and I want the things to be comprehensive: no sudden discoveries of video material after the thing has been issued. But even so, I don't think two a year (or in some cases one a year) is anywhere near good enough.

Personally, I do wonder whether four a year (at £65/£70 each) is too much to spend on one artist - do remember that UK fans are paying way above what US fans are paying for these sets.

I'd suggest a compromise of three per annum: two in Spring and one in Autumn ready for Christmas. The Spring sets could be relatively scaled back affairs (like the first three) and the fall release could be a bumper one a la Ram.

22. Paul H

Presumably, like they did for Wings Over America: that is, have the full double width image laid out across the front of the box.

23. Arnold Grove

Well, here's what the previous release schedule has been for the Archive sets:

Band On The Run: Nov 2010
    McCartney I & II: June 2011
    Ram: May 2012
    Wings Over America: May 2013
    Venus & Mars/At The Speed Of Sound: Nov 2014 (but delayed by production problems from Sept 2014)

Is there a pattern?? In general, May and November seem to be the sweet times for these to be released.

Arnie

theMess likes this.
  24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I'm meeting you halfway here. I have not purchased any of those reissues but the two that I would buy are Wild Life and Back To The Egg. There must be tons of unreleased stuff from the Wild Life era.

Don't get me wrong. Pipes Of Peace was a favourite of mine when it came out, but I was a teenager then and had yet to understand his more meaningful albums.

25. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I think MPL should've finished the Wings years reissues before moving to the 80s. Except McCartney II, this series has so far been about Paul's musical journey through the 70s starting from the somewhat home-made McCartney to the height of his success with Wings Over America. The next two reissues continue that story next month.

With 3 deluxe wings reissues over the last 2 years, Paul's team has generated some renewed interest in the band and possibly earned some new fans as well. As people get reacquainted with or introduced to the band, they are going to want more Wings material. Why not put out the remaining 4 albums in 2015 and close that story before starting with the 80s?

Wild Life may not be his finest hour but it is a charming little record that has it's fans. We know there are 1972 concert recordings that could be nice compliment to the record and provide good story line on how the band started small by touring little halls around the country. Then you have Red Rose Speedway that was #1 album with smash single My Love plus associated popular tracks such as Live and Let Die, Hi Hi Hi and C-Moon. There are also all those unused tracks that were supposed to make it on the original double LP and the James McCartney TV special.

I sure hope the series doesn't skip the early 70s or run out of steam prior to reissuing the remaining Wings albums especially Wild Life and RRS.

supermd, Hep Alien, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.