Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part One)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Yes, these sections make me overlook the flaws, like the chorus, even the part where he snarls, "You know you're not so hot" and it sort of sounds a bit like a comedic voice that I've heard Muhammad Ali go into. The good parts outweigh the bad, just like "Mary Had a Little Lamb".

BeatleStair and theMess like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But Paul wants to be in the same room as YOU! It's on his bucket-list, so let him fulfill one of his dreams. ;) Arnie

Hep Alien, BeatleStair and theMess like this.
  3. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I would gladly take a live concert where Paul played the whole "NEW" album front to back and nothing else ... err, unless he wanted to play all of Press to play for the hell of it lol!

JDeanB, JimC and theMess like this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

That section IS good , but then it's followed by some of the most miserable lead guitar playing in Paul's entire catalog, IMO.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  5. BeatleStair

Then again, maybe all of Press to Play would be more fun to hear ... Damn, Linda's voice was a very effective part of Paul's songs and she developed quite a lot of poise live by the late '80s.

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Paul didn't want the music to overshadow the incredible nuances and heightened development of the film's plot. ;) Arnie

7. BeatleStair

This video makes me want to play "Tug of War" and "Pipes of Peace" tonight. I think I will. Love this footage!!!

Hep Alien, Tord and theMess like this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Geez, thanks Arnie! You are absolutely correct. In a nail biting suspense movie like this one was, the music shouldn't distract us from the complicated plot points. Man, I wasn't sure until the LAST MINUTE if they would get the master tape back. I was actually sweating watching the movie I was so nervous. Of course, if it was the master tape of the Broadstreet songs , it's too bad they got the tape back.:D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Hep Alien, theMess, supermd and 5 others like this.
  9. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Paul released too much.

If he were on Paul Simons Sched he'd have done a 1980, 1983, 1986 and 1990.

That gives us a "super" War and Peace single album..w Ebony and Say Say Say as stand alone singles.

I keep No Values for Tug and save NMLN for Press.

Side 1. Tug of War/Take It Away/Someone Who Cares/No Values/RAINCLOUDS/Here Today
    SIDE 2. Ballroom Dancing/The Pound Is Sinking/ Not Such a Bad Boy/ Get it/ Wanderlust / Be What You See / Pjpes of Peace

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  10. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I didn't think this song could sound any more pedestrian and then this comes along!

11. bward

bward Senior Member

When the 80s were happening, it felt like ages between Pipes to Press to Choba and Flowers

Looking back it was just a couple of years.

The gap between MAF and New was 7 years, but it didn't feel as long.

Weird.

12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Agree on these points, especially The Man. When I first got POP, it was an instant favourite. I much preferred it to Say Say Say, which was all over the radio (and TV with it's flashy extended video) at this point. As for the many styles he's experimented with, I'm generally happier when Paul favours melody over the 'groove', which he does most of the time.

13. Bobby Morrow

Good point. I usually think, though, as we get older time goes faster. I think it's because we slow down and everything takes longer to do!

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. bward

bward Senior Member

I agree.

The other big difference is that Paul wasn't touring in the 80's.

That made every live 80's appearance (like Live Aid) an Event for starved Beatles/Macca fans.

These days it's hard to keep up with Paul. So many concerts, plus under the radar releases, the guy is unstoppable (except for a bad virus).

May he never slow down!

Shak Cohen and theMess like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

He's not doing bad for 72!

I think (and hope) it's a happy time for him now. The pressure if off and he can do what he wants. He certainly seems to be getting more respect now than he ever has. His New album was great and was received well. The Archive stuff, as we all know, is eagerly anticipated. He has a fantastic back catalogue to play in concert. Life should be good for Paul now.

16. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Considering the timeline of the archive series and the possiblity of it not being completed or cancelled... I wonder just for the sake of supposing... would it make sense if instead of each separate record being given the full treatment that everything from the post Wings Over America era through Broad Street should itself be one package. Technologically... 1977 to 1984 is the peak of the analog era and the sound is theoretically as good as things got as we transitioned into the era of the portable cassette and the digital era. It is a time when McCartney's family matures, where he again withdraws from touring and deals with the end of Wings, the end of the Beatles dream, and his re-emergence as a solo artist! A significant time and certainly not something that should be mashed all together... BUT on the other hand there might be some advantage to focusing on this aspect of McCartney's personal story to give a stronger sense of the connection and theme to this period of McCartney's career that might seem more random and disjointed than the other periods.

17. BeatlesObsessive

I defer to the artist and the team designing the reissues... but I think a golden opportunity was missed to tie together RAM/Wild Life/RSS in its unissued double album state. McCartney is really down on RRS but I think the repurposed RAM era tracks that appear there and on Wild Life should have lead to some sort of reevaluation of what might have been. though to be fair you don't do an archive series so you can emphasize revisionism. I'd be curious to know how McCartney would have sequenced RAM with Dear Friend, Get on the Right Thing, Little Lamb and some of the unreleased tracks.

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  18. BeatlesObsessive

19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You raise the exact point I was going to. One McCartney gets into the digital recording and/or mixing realm there's much less to gain from remastering. By that I mean that any benefits to be had from improved analogue to digital transfer are lost unless one is prepared to go back to the original analogue work parts, transfer to digital and create new mixes.

Otherwise, the best we can hope for would be better EQ choices.

20. She is anyway

I don't think it sounds like a pedestrian song at all. "Walk on By", "Walk Away, Renee", "Walk This Way", "I'm Walkin'", "Golden Years (Walk, Walk, Walk)"…Those I might consider pedestrian songs. Definitely not "No Values".

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  21. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

He was fairly pedestrian on this record too:
    [​IMG]

22. She is anyway

Fatally, according to some.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  23. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Especially John.

NaturalD likes this.
  24. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I admit I don't know "Golden Years" but are you really suggesting these songs that have all imprinted themselves on generations of music fans are pedestrian? Compared to some 80s McCartney tune? I admit I'm particularly floored by the choice of "Walk Away Renee," though I guess it can't hold a candle to "Walking in the Park with Eloise."

She is anyway likes this.
  25. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

But "William Campbell and Wings", catchy as it is, doesn't quite have the same ring to it!

She is anyway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.