Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

At this point in time, I would have done that. They would run, what, $10? That's easy to take if you'll be listening to it for at least 5 years while waiting for a deluxe set to come out. Money well spent.

2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I agree with you, regarding the charm, but the single may have done better, had the video been more substantial, like "Take It Away", which was like a "mini-movie". It's rather strange now, but back then, a singles success was dependent on the success of the video.

Rocco likes this.
  3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

You are correct.
    I agree for the most part. For me, though, there is no difference between albums that I bought on initial release and albums I bought as archival releases. To me, they are all the same. It's more what I was experiencing when I first heard them. I think it's probably because I was pretty poor as a kid, wasn't handed dough for records and stuff, and saved up and anticipated new McCartney releases and old Beatles records the same. Even though Abbey Road was released years before, for example, when I bought Sgt Pepper I knew I wanted Abbey Road next so I immediately went into Abbey Road anticipation mode (like waiting for a new release today), saving my pennies, reading about it, etc. Then I immersed myself in it for weeks because I knew that was it until I could save up for the next one. As I reached Press to Play and started working and having more scratch to buy records, the struggle wasn't there, but the anticipation was. That's why, when I didn't love Press to Play, I went into total backlash mode, and swore off solo McCartney (with the exception of RAM, which I stumbled onto) until FITD came out.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I can't like things that I discovered or were released after my "sweet spot" period, or that I like them less. I probably said it wrong by using "appreciate" as if I could take or leave the ones I first heard when I was older. It's more a closeness that's not there. You just can't replicate that feeling you get when something is the soundtrack to a really exciting period in your life, when you're in your late teens and early 20s and every day is eventful.

So, yes, I hear Souvenir, from an album that was released after my jading (and, yes, by 1997 I had sadly lost the wide-eyed version of myself entirely), and I hear Call Me Back Again, from an album that I first heard during the golden years, and I like them both as songs, but I feel entirely disconnected from Souvenir. I don't feel that pull. I totally HATED Press to Play when I was 18. I didn't love it until a couple of years ago. But I still feel more connected on an emotional level than I do to NEW because it was moving through me back then. I told you, I'm a mess.

Get back to me in 30 years on that. Probably around the time of the Chaos Archive edition.
    I don't. NEW is my favorite of those three.
    Sorry if it came across as if I was talking about my enjoyment of the music. The time of my life didn't make me like stuff that was horrible, and I actually hated PTP, which I now think is great. I was talking about having a visceral, emotional connection to albums based on the time of my life.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    theMess, Sean Murdock and supermd like this.
  4. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I was once someone who was holding out for the remasters, but then realized I don't feel like waiting that long. I still haven't listened to ALL the albums, but I'm glad I ended up listening to Tug of War, PoP, Press To Play, before the sets came out. Thanks to streaming I don't have to spend money twice to buy the albums and then the remasters.. It's a win/win

supermd likes this.
  5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Hear Music just re-released "Off the Ground" in CD, physical format in 2014. That right there tells you that there won't be a deluxe edition for that, any time soon.

6. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

What else have they released in the last couple of years in physical format? I am hoping we at least get the rest of the Wings albums from the 70's in a deluxe format.

7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Too bad all the albums I haven't heard by Paul (Press to Play, Flowers in the Dirt, Off the Ground, and Driving Rain) aren't on streaming... They're on YouTube, though, so that's streaming enough for me.

8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Well they kind of worked their way down, re-releasing "chaos", "Run Devil Run", "Driving Rain"...and then "Off the Ground". They skipped "Flaming Pie", which made me think a deluxe of that would be coming much sooner than the others, which makes sense, since it was a more pivotal album. All these re-releases were assentially duplicates of the original releases, with no remastering. The purpose was to just keep them in print on the Hear music label, in anticipation of the lengthy reissue campaign.
    Not to be morbid, but Paul is not getting any younger. Does he not want to be around to see this whole thing come to fruition.

theMess likes this.
  9. Are we still "trusting" the Amazon release date in October, now that the proof is gone? Can we revert to the September release date again?

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, I give you permission to revert back. But do let us know if they ever come out in September... ;)

theMess and sallymae_hogsby like this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's been 10 years already. I still feel a cold, stark feeling when listening to Chaos, which is how I viewed it when it first came out. I like the songs infinitely more, but I still have that gut feeling. Maybe that's more in line with what you meant by emotions carrying on as the years go by.

I was mistaken. I guess I thought that because you hated on New when it came out and, in the thread addressed to people's impressions of New over a year after it came out, you "liked" many posts of people saying how they don't really care for the album.

theMess and Frank like this.
  12. jordanlolss

They are available on Apple Music! :)
    One of the huge factors Apple Music had over Spotify for me was the fact that they have ALL of Paul's albums

13. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Not sure he cares...

14. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It would appear that way...

15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I didn't gush over NEW, but I don't think I hated on it all that much. :winkgrin: The handful (couple?) of songs I don't like, I really, really don't like. The songs I love I really love. The rest are meh. Not bad for late-era McCartney in my book.

I like that people feel free to dissent mainly. When I like those posts, it's mainly because I like the people making them, I like that they feel comfortable and secure enough in their fandom to dislike NEW without apology, and I want to encourage them to continue stating their beliefs in the face of what's usually pretty strong opposition to them.

I don't see a lot of point in "liking" things that are the majority opinion or aren't addressed toward a conversation I was a part of (in lieu of a reply when one isn't warranted). Maybe I should reexamine that.

theMess, Skywheel and supermd like this.
  16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Chaos and Creation" = Paul's best solo album.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Ahhh, I understand. When I "like" a post, it's because I agree with what the poster is saying. I think that's the generally accepted usage of the "like" button, but don't let me sway you from your "like" habits. :)

theMess and Pawnmower like this.
  18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Thanks for the response, Frank. I don't want to get too deep into the weeds of our personal fandoms, but I get it. Incidentally, I didn't like Press To Play when it was released, either -- it was too '80s, too different from what I expected of Paul McCartney. That's why I say I'm "fond" of some of these albums -- because I don't necessarily LOVE them, but they're "close" to me (to use your term) because of when I first got them. When I got over the hang-up that all McCartney music should sound like Beatles music, I appreciated (there's that word again!) PTP more, and even enjoyed it. I still don't think it's his greatest batch of songs ever, but the tracks I love I truly love. But even though I'm not a wide-eyed kid anymore, I can still feel "the pull" of a great album -- Flaming Pie and Chaos & Creation probably mean more to me emotionally than any other Macca album, even if I think there might be other albums that are "better" on a song-by-song basis.

theMess and Frank like this.
  19. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I bet the official announcement will come soon after Lollapalooza. Next week, hopefully.

theMess likes this.
  20. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

Let's revert back. I'm on board for that! :agree:

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  21. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

I dont know why, I still cant enjoy Chaos and Creation. Just a few songs, I wish I could enjoy it more :(

RAJ717 likes this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

23. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

The official announcement can't be made until the release date is firm. The release date isn't firm, which is probably why Amazon removed its listings. Why is the release date such a problem? My guess is it has something to do with the vinyl pressing. Pressing plants are currently overwhelmed with demand and are running way behind schedule.

24. jordanlolss

I was bored so decided to listen to ToW/PoP again for fun (it's been a while since I've listened to them). ToW is an excellent album! And I'm about finished with PoP and i'm honestly enjoying it a lot. I don't get the hate.. I'm really liking it

25. jordanlolss

Ideally, yes, but I think the Venus & Mars / SoS sets were announced originally for September, then they were delayed a month or so later until November.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.