Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Any Denny Lane has TWO of the best songs on London Town.

theMess likes this.
  2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt Thread Starter

It's marketed as such on the official promo video (check out @ 1:39):

3. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

We discussed this briefly and inconclusively earlier, as it is the U.K. Store charges £11 for postage and the sets cost £10+ more than yesterday's store.

jl151080 likes this.
  4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Complaints about the sound quality in the Archive Collection have been few and far between; in fact, it's the one thing most people seem to be pretty happy with.

5. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Apparently Paul has hand signed all 5 photos in the super deluxe set. This info should break soon.

;)

6. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

It's interesting how each of us wants something completely different from these sets. I've reading a lot of posts here and elsewhere about fans wanting everything on CD and no exclusive downloads (even if it means putting the 3 versions of the same song on the disc).

On the other hand, I buy these deluxe reissues only for the books and the included downloads. I have no use for the physical discs and so perhaps this time I should put all them up on Classifieds (seems like they also come in their own separate slipcase this time).

Paul H likes this.
  7. crossroads69

I agree, the sound on these remasters has been some of the best we've got from the Abbey Road Studios team. In fact, I wish they had taken the same care to give us unlimited 24/96 downloads of the Beatles catalogue back in 2009.

Edit: Hopefully the latter will happen sometime when Apple finally figures it's worth their time to compile such deluxe reissues of the Beatles albums. I'm also glad to see that Paul took the time to remix TOW indicating that he is not averse to the concept if at all Apple decides to remix the Fabs (we know Yoko is not either).

supermd likes this.
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'll admit to listening to some things I really don't even like, and coming to at least appreciate some things I hadn't previously liked, because of the excellent sound quality of these reissues. I'm hoping for the same out of Tug of War, but I think Pipes of Peace may be a lost cause (especially since you're saying it sounds like 1993).

There's one guy who's pissed off V&M wasn't remixed, though. Forget who.

JimC likes this.
  9. crossroads69

I'm surprised that preorders haven't shown up on Amazon or Bullmoose as yet. I've picked all the previous releases from one of those two and so waiting to see what prices they will be offering on the deluxe versions.

Pawnmower likes this.
  10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I don't know what you mean by "endlessly defend[ing] things that other people complain about." I'll defend my own views, at length occasionally, but there's a limit to that too. When I say "life's too short" I'm not putting anyone else down, just expressing my own view. Should I pretend to overreact to everything so that nobody feels their hyperventilating is "insignificant"?
    Sometimes. But I can also go M.I.A. for months at a time, because, well, there really is stuff that is more important than all this sometimes. In fact, I should get to some of it right now.
    And within an artist's discography, 12" remixes are pretty much the least important and most disposable in the pecking order. I already agreed with you that they all should have been included somehow, but sometimes you seem to want to argue for the sake of arguing.

anthontherun likes this.
  11. crossroads69

It's "coming soon"...........when MPL launches the new Paul McCartney - Remixed Collection program in 20XX personally supervised by Beatrice McCartney and George Martin's grandson :)

12. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I'm in the "it shoulda been remixed" category but I wouldn't say I'm pissed off about it. Just mildly annoyed now that we know he HAS remixed an album.

JimC, theMess and Frank like this.
  13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Thanks.

I know I'll get hit with import duties, but the question is whether they will be more than the increased costs at the UK store, as my order is around £138 compared to £150 from the UK store (not including postage).

14. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

This is one of the best days for music in my life! Between the Led Zep sets, the Alice Cooper box and now the official release date of Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace, plus all the bonus tracks coming in the TOW & POP sets my mind is about to explode! Thank God I did take work off today, I'd get nothing done anyway.

15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

No, it's not you. There's someone in particular who seeing the words "Venus & Mars" is his own personal "Slowly I turned...step by step...inch by inch..." and it launches him into a remix diatribe. It amuses me.

16. crossroads69

Yeah, it sure would've nice to get an all-new 2014 mix of V&M last year. In fact, I wish he could've done more remixes here and there (not entire albums per se) to promote the series. For example, a new 2010 bonus remix of Jet could've made a great single to promote the BOTR reissue (while improving the original album mix).

17. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Indeed, I was just poking fun at how a thread can go on for dozens of pages before anyone has even heard anything.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the releases.
    In fact, my only complaint has been how long we have to wait between reissues.

Of all the unreleased titles, Wings Wildlife, Flowers In The Dirt & Снова в СССР are the three I am most anxious for...

18. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Looking at the FAQ on the site, there is this, which is not reassuring:

I live outside of the United States, what should I expect when I order?
    If you live outside of The United States and have to deal with customs, you’ve come to the right FAQ.

Shipping Methods & Info

Intl Budget
    - Using either Fedex or UPS international economy methods, this method typically takes 3-5 weeks, but can be longer or shorter. This method is NOT insured and NOT trackable. Since there is no tracking/delivery confirmation, we will not issue any refunds or send any replacement shipments for lost or late orders. For a more secure shipping method, select a different shipping method.

Disclaimers
    For Intl Budget and First Class Intl shipments, orders can be delayed beyond the original delivery window. This is caused by a few things; how far you are, how it’s shipped, and of course, customs. Customs is where most of the delay is. It can be released in a day or in a month. It all depends on what kind of mood they‘re in.
    Depending on your country’s laws, you might have to pay an import tax. This is based on certain items being over a certain value. These taxes are out of our control and we cannot pre pay these taxes. Please contact your local customs people to find out if you have these taxes and how much they are for.
    With that being said, we will not mark your package as a “Sample” or as a “gift“. They’ll catch us and you, and then we’ll all be screwed. So the best bet is to be honest.

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

So why does the kingsroadmerch page say "notify me once in stock" instead of "sold out"?

20. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

No, I know. Just messin' around.

Btw, don't mention "cleaning lady" or that'll set me off!!

Frank likes this.
  21. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Perhaps an email to support could clear this up. After all, I specifically clicked on the U.K. Store when I placed my order, so if they ship it from the US that's their error?

22. Mark Lamb

Mark Lamb Member

I can't believe they sold out 1000 copies of this at $150 a pop in less than 24 hours??? Seems impossible!

23. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Sometimes people will cancel orders and a few may become available again. Or they might just decide to go back on their word and press more.

24. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I guess there's always a chance:

a) someone will cancel his/her order

b) a second "limited" run will be pressed, based on the demand...

25. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

For me, the answer is 'yes,' at least partly. I am buying Tug of War only for the bonus content. I will not be buying Pipes of Peace because the bonus content is so weak. However, I'm not bemoaning this fact. Anytime one of these reissues doesn't have the bonus content I want, I skip it and save money. I'm still hoping this points to an outtakes boxset in the future.

Paul H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.