Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Lamb

Mark Lamb Member

Okay I just ordered it from the UK store....payed a lot more though!!

hazard likes this.
  2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Right! I mean who is this McCartney guy anyway?

I think they sold out after the email blast from MPL.

Mark Lamb likes this.
  3. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Well, except for the major letdown of 'Venus & Mars', I would agree. 'Speed of Sound' and 'McCartney II' stand out to me as huge upgrades to what he had.

JimC likes this.
  4. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

Just on the "Say Say Say" remixes... a few people are saying they can see why Paul didn't want to put loads of remixes one after the other due to 'playability' etc. The whole point is you wouldn't do that, unless it was unavoidable. I co-compiled the Tears For Fears Songs From The Big Chair box and we had NINE extra versions of Shout, but not once do you have 'Shout' followed by 'Shout'! I don't think starting the Pipes of Peace disc 2 with the 12" and then four or five tracks later putting the instrumental on there would have McCartney fans out drafting letters of outrage to their local MP. Does anyone really think that, other than, apparently, Paul McCartney?

He obviously thinks the remixes are boring / irrelevant / embarrassing etc. but – and I know we are going around in circles to an extent – HE isn't the target market. These should be created for his fans not for his sensibilities.

Despite the differences of opinion, I think most people here would either want them included or not be particularly bothered either way. It's surely a minority of fans that would strongly object to commercially released remixes appearing on a deluxe archive release. Therefore Paul is siding with a minority. It's pure folly, but there you go.

anthontherun, supermd and Jerry Horne like this.
  5. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

I just happen to be listening to the "Power Cut" section of the Red Rose Speedway album as I'm reading your post, and it occurs to me how prescient Paul was back then, singing to his future daughter, "Bea, I love you so/Bea, I love you so/Bea, I love you so…" ;)

supermd and theMess like this.
  6. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I just had a look at the UK store and the only shipping option seemed to be Fed Ex international economy for £9.66, which seems to indicate it's not shipped from the UK.

7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I think it's limited to 1000 copies worldwide, so I guess it would be less than 1000 allocated to the US store.

8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

With the exception of people here, and not even everyone, I don't know anyone who listens to CDs this way anymore anyway. Don't people rip them, take what they like wherever they're going, and then disregard what they don't like? Maybe the first time through you put in a CD of bonus tracks and listen to it, but aren't CDs just there as a basically inefficient way to deliver lossless tracks to market these days?

By the way, stop your hyperventilating, not that I'm putting you down or anything. :D

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  9. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

Yes. I don't care for these particular remixes, but they should be on there - especially as there is enough room. If you don't want to listen to them, you can simply skip them.

10. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

The people on this board make up a very small percentage of his fan base. You seem to be forgetting that. I would be very happy if he did include every mix and remix that exists for every song, but I also understand why he and his team don't. Also, the tracklisting is NOT created solely by him. He has a whole production team telling him how this thing should be made and look. I can see their reasoning for not including every single version of "Say Say Say". I wish they were there, but it makes sense. As stated before, they will most likely appear as downloads. There are a lot of people who would pick up the 2 CD version in a store and think its weird that about one fourth of the bonus tracks are just different versions of the same song.

Paul H likes this.
  11. Mark Lamb

Mark Lamb Member

Yeah under the FAQ it says orders ship from the warehouse in Germany.

jl151080 likes this.
  12. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Thankfully for me, I don't really care about the bonus tracks. I'm buying these reissues for the main album and the book, anything else is just a bonus. I'm just happy to finally own these albums.

13. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Right on. :righton:

14. I have no idea. I heard it sold out. Maybe not, but it certainly will if it hasn't already. Notify me might just be the fall back in the sites design. Not sure.

theMess and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Finally own? You act like they've been hard to find (or out of print). I care about the bonus tracks because I'm a Paul McCartney fan.

16. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Yes, finally own, because knowing that a remaster would be coming soon, why would I buy the album just to have to buy it again? Plus it's not like the originals came with these amazing books

funkydude and Mark Wilson like this.
  17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The UK site seems to have the Super Deluxe TOW in stock at the moment, maybe some cancellations?

18. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I strongly doubt that "Find A Way" (actual title is "Find A Way Somehow") will be there, as it was just a half baked rehearsal of an otherwise fine song that Denny had already released on his "Ahh... Laine!" solo LP from late 1973 (and that also was that album's single).

There is a totally unheard "London Town" outtake called "One Woman", an acetate of which can be seen in one of Giuliano's books.
    By the way, "Ahh... Laine!" is a great little album!

Wish he would have done this one with Wings, since I can hear Paul and Linda's backing vocals in my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrp8hiiUDE

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt Thread Starter

Did you know the remaster was coming back in '83?? :confused:

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  20. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Speaking of Denny, doesn't "Same Mistakes", from his "Japanese Tears" LP in 1980 and sung by his wife Jojo, sound like a mix of "Girlfriend" and "So Bad"?

Actually, there exists a tantalizing acetate where this song is credited to Wings!!!

21. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I'm assuming there are both US and EU distribution centres. The international shipping might simply be P&P from within the EU, which would mean not having to pay import duty. But, if my order (through no fault of my own) is being fulfilled by the US distribution centre then I'd have to pay import tax VAT of 20% which would supposedly make it more expensive than ordering from the UK store had it been working properly when I ordered.

I have sent them an email and hope they get back to me soon.

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And I think you should plan on taking a vacation day again on October 2nd too.

23. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

While I applaud your attention to detail on the Tears for Fears box, you also had the luxury of FOUR bonus CDs to spread out those 9 versions of "Shout." While two versions of "Say Say Say" on one disc don't seem like a big deal, what should he do when he gets to Flowers In The Dirt, with the approximately 29 different remixes of "Ou Est Le Soleil"? There has to be a line drawn somewhere, and perhaps Paul's drawn it at 12" remixes. I think we'd all agree that the original b-sides are more important that 12" remixes, right? The Traveling Wilburys also left their 12" remixes off their CD reissues, but put them on the LP box set. Maybe Paul will still release these stray mixes somehow -- so far, we're assuming they're lost forever without knowing that for sure.
    I agree, to a point. I think the artist should still have veto power at some level -- the frustrating thing (I'm guessing) for many fans is that he vetoes (or forgets about) stuff like the "Say Say Say" mixes and approves and (by inclusion) endorses dreck like "Women Kind."
    I think you're framing this the wrong way. I think the vast majority of all potential purchasers either don't care about the 12" remixes, or don't even know there WERE 12" remixes. A small minority (here) is outraged by their omission. Paul is siding with the majority, I suspect. I would still welcome complete inclusiveness, but I'm not particularly missing these overlooked tracks.

All that said, if you want to see me lose my sh!t and throw an internet tantrum, let Paul / Concord leave the 45 mix of "It's Not True" off the Press To Play box ... I shudder just to think of it ... :help:

JimC, Frank, Paul H and 2 others like this.
  24. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Please do let me know what their reply is!

25. You do know that its not ever about more room. More song costs more on the record companies end. Additional publishing and performing have to be paid. Yes in this case it most likely goes to MPL but its adds to the bottom line of the manufacturing paid for my the label.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.