Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Not to sound too nerdy, but that outer cardboard box looks really cool. They didn't show that in the video.

Peachy and theMess like this.
  2. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I'm glad that you get an emotional response from the song. Believe me, tears flow for me on certain songs, too.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  3. helter

helter Forum Resident

I've purchased all the deluxe editions of Paul's now except for Pipes Of Peace
    I'm hoping this hits a bargain basement price in the next couple of years and then maybe I'll pull the trigger. I just loathe this album however.
    I'm mainly interested in the book and the new Say Say Say mix which is very good I think :)

4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this; you have perfectly described what I tried to say earlier. This album definitely has an R&B/Soul and Jazz influence, and that may partly be what is putting off certain McCartney fans; I love Say Say Say, Keep Under Cover, So Bad, and I also enjoy Hey Hey, but they may be too far removed from fans expecting rock songs.

Whenever Paul moves away from pop-rock, it puts off certain fans; some fans dislike his many forays into Music Hall, some despise his synth experiments on McCartney 2 and PTP, and many dislike the quickly recorded Wild Life and Driving Rain. I imagine that POP is criticised partly because of the fact that it isn't rocking and because it does draw influence from other genres of music, and this seems to be backed up by the fact that FITD is widely as his great late 80's come-back, because it saw a return to rock music.

5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I don't know if I'd like the songs I can tolerate from my playlist put together as an album, but I doubt it. I feel like the whole affair is too slick and too soft. It's Paul while he could still sing, so there's usually a little something to like, but this really isn't my type of music at all. It reminds me, honestly, of being in a dentist chair with the gas going in and your kind of with it and kind of out of it and you're drifting in and out of caring about anything. This is mostly based on my feelings about Tug of War.

I just listened to Rainclouds and Ode to a Koala-Type Bear. I'll just say that I'm glad you enjoy them.

eran levy and theMess like this.
  6. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I much prefer TOW but agree that POP does sound very good - very warm and "comforting".

I think some of his less favourably received albums are definitely among the better sounding ones, eg Wildlife, RRS and Speed of Sound - all lgorgeous sounding records for me. :)

theMess likes this.
  7. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Given that that's one of the worst pictures of Paul ever, I'm happy with just half the cover.

8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am glad to see that you are also a huge fan of Rainclouds and Ode To A Koala Bear. :D

I can't wait to read your opinions on 'It's Not On' and 'Simple As That'. :laugh:

Johnny Reb and Frank like this.
  9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

:laughup:

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But now you get a weird unconnected forearm holding the pipes.

theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  11. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Agreed!!

theMess likes this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wrong thread! :righton:

Chris from Chicago and theMess like this.
  13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Hey, where's that new HAIM album, anyway?

You're going to keep asking about individual tracks until you force me to listen to the whole thing, aren't you.

Drum Roll:
    I LIKE IT'S NOT ON! (but I'm a Press to Play fan anyway, so I know how it all turns out).

Caveat: I say this assuming that the goofy voices wouldn't have survived George Martin.

14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

It's up against some pretty stiff competition -

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

[​IMG]

Chikolad, Rob Hughes, Yorick and 2 others like this.
  16. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Ugh, we have a winner!

Frank and theMess like this.
  17. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Somebody Who Cares is a special song for me too. No, you're not soft. It's gorgeous.

18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am also impatiently waiting for the new Haim album. They have just finished their tour with Taylor Swift (I think), they recently took part in a Q&A and they are about to launch a new radio show, so I am hoping that the album will be released within the next couple of months.

I am pleased that you like 'It's Not On'; I also liked it immediately, and feel that it should have been on POP.

As one review of McCartney 2 I remember reading said, it pointed ahead to a different 80's that Paul could have had. I would have loved for him to have continued to experiment more with synths between McCartney 2 and PTP, and 'It's Not On' gives us a glimpse as to what that would have sounded like.

TheCatInSatinTrousers and JimC like this.
  19. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

At least he appears to be standing upright in this pic! It always puzzled me that he followed what in my opinion is one of his best ever covers - TOW - with this mess. Album covers have never been Paul's strong point, think DR, CACITBY and MAF and you see what I mean.

JimC likes this.
  20. Beatlemania 22

Beatlemania 22 Forum Resident

I've just recieved a confirmation that my POP deluxe is in the store's magazine, so now I only have to wait a while for the limited super deluxe TOW and I hope I'll get them by the end of the next week :)

theMess likes this.
  21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Who the f**k is that, and why did you post this in a Paul McCartney thread????? :D

In all seriousness, where is his tooth gone? Did he have another motorcycle crash in the 90's ?

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  22. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

I can sort of understand why these releases are not as popular with people who appreciate Paul more from the rock angle. For these albums, Paul seems to be less concerned with what rock critics are thinking, compared to later... I love them for that reason. Pure unfiltered melodic Paul.

23. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You mean an old man isn't allowed to lose teeth? Blimey. We DO expect McCartney to be superhuman :)

theMess likes this.
  24. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I'm clearly not a s sensitive as you but I am a big fan of the song. ;)

I'm currently warming to Raincoluds, which I've previously dismissed as a little lightweight. Same with I'll Give You a Ring - though I'd class this as a bit "cringeworthy", in the sense that I wouldn't generally play it in front of a non-McCartney devotee. Together with Koala Bear, the appeal of which passes me by, it is exactly the sort of song that reinforces the general perception of McCartney as mostly a writer of twee drivel.

I suppose that's true of many Macca songs I'm very fond of too though, eg Once Upon A Long Ago. ;)

25. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Paul actually broke the front tooth in a motorcycle accident in 1966. Watch the videos for Paperback Writer and Rain and you'll see the broken tooth.

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.